Help Me Out, People Are Difficult

Pumpkin Row

Platinum Member
May 26, 2016
I'm head of a project for a video game I plan to upload to Steam as my first successful video game. This team I've assembled is not official, nor have we actually succeeded before. They don't know my age, of course, that's for the best. We've all agreed that nobody will get paid until/unless the game is successful on Steam.

What I need help with is how to keep it under control. I can't replace either programmer, so when they gang up on me to take the project in a different direction that I don't want it to go, I can't overrule them or I'd risk losing irreplaceable team members. Please tell me how to keep them line. I know for a fact one is basically throwing monkey wrenches at me to upset me, because he knows he can.

I'm head of a project for a video game I plan to upload to Steam as my first successful video game. This team I've assembled is not official, nor have we actually succeeded before. They don't know my age, of course, that's for the best. We've all agreed that nobody will get paid until/unless the game is successful on Steam.

What I need help with is how to keep it under control. I can't replace either programmer, so when they gang up on me to take the project in a different direction that I don't want it to go, I can't overrule them or I'd risk losing irreplaceable team members. Please tell me how to keep them line. I know for a fact one is basically throwing monkey wrenches at me to upset me, because he knows he can.

Borrow a few million from your daddy to get you through the rough patch. It's what Trump did.

Then don't let him upset you, or at least don't let him know he has. Do they know you are the 'head' of the project? I'd suggest making it clear who is responsible for what without seeming a powerhead dictator. (do it my way or else) But perhaps something like 'I'll consider your suggestions and get back to you with my final answer' Then try to see if they will be an asset or not, then let them know why you don't agree & give them the reasons. Is it possible they may have good ideas that may differ from yours? Just let them know not to run with it, without going thru you first.

You mean Valve?
The team members that are usurping your control need to go and you need to protect your creation with legal means...

I would recommend reading this book, till then, go to Wikipedia and read the cliff notes. I wouldn't blow sunshine up your ass, it is an incredibly boring read, it is like reading an instruction manual.

That said, when ever I feel I am poorly communicating here, or not effectively communicating, I reread it. It is the key to understanding people and getting them to do what you want. The irony of course, is that it was written by the son of one of America's founding business elites. Their foundation still probably has more influence over our lives than the elected government of this nation. :badgrin:

How to Win Friends and Influence People - Wikipedia

Twelve Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking
  1. The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it. Whenever we argue with someone, no matter if we win or lose the argument, we still lose. The other person will either feel humiliated or strengthened and will only seek to bolster their own position. We must try to avoid arguments whenever we can.
  2. Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never say "You're wrong." We must never tell people flat out that they are wrong. It will only serve to offend them and insult their pride. No one likes to be humiliated, we must not be so blunt.
  3. If you're wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically. Whenever we are wrong we should admit it immediately. When we fight we never get enough, but by yielding we often get more than we expected. When we admit that we are wrong people trust us and begin to sympathize with our way of thinking.
  4. Begin in a friendly way. "A drop of honey can catch more flies than a gallon of gall."[6] If we begin our interactions with others in a friendly way, people will be more receptive. Even if we are greatly upset, we must be friendly to influence people to our way of thinking.
  5. Start with questions to which the other person will answer yes. Do not begin by emphasizing the aspects in which we and the other person differ. Begin by emphasizing and continue emphasizing the things on which we agree. People must be started in the affirmative direction and they will often follow readily. Never tell someone they are wrong, but rather lead them where we would like them to go with questions that they will answer "yes" to.
  6. Let the other person do a great deal of the talking. People do not like listening to us boast, they enjoy doing the talking themselves. Let them rationalize and talk about the idea, because it will taste much sweeter to them in their own mouth.
  7. Let the other person feel the idea is his or hers. People inherently like ideas they come to on their own better than those that are handed to them on a platter. Ideas can best be carried out by allowing others to think they arrived at it themselves.
  8. Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view. Other people may often be wrong, but we cannot condemn them. We must seek to understand them. Success in dealing with people requires a sympathetic grasp of the other person's viewpoint.
  9. Be sympathetic with the other person's ideas and desires. People are hungering for sympathy. They want us to recognize all that they desire and feel. If we can sympathize with others, they will appreciate our side as well and will often come around to our way of thinking.
  10. Appeal to the nobler motives. Everyone likes to be glorious in their own eyes. People believe that they do things for noble and morally upright reasons. If we can appeal to others' noble motives we can successfully convince them to follow our ideas.
  11. Dramatize your ideas. In this fast paced world, simply stating a truth isn't enough. The truth must be made vivid, interesting, and dramatic. Television has been doing it for years. Sometimes ideas are not enough and we must dramatize them.
  12. Throw down a challenge. The thing that most motivates people is the game. Everyone desires to excel and prove their worth. If we want someone to do something, we must give them a challenge and they will often rise to meet it.

Then don't let him upset you, or at least don't let him know he has. Do they know you are the 'head' of the project? I'd suggest making it clear who is responsible for what without seeming a powerhead dictator. (do it my way or else) But perhaps something like 'I'll consider your suggestions and get back to you with my final answer' Then try to see if they will be an asset or not, then let them know why you don't agree & give them the reasons. Is it possible they may have good ideas that may differ from yours? Just let them know not to run with it, without going thru you first.
Everyone knows I'm 'head', he just also knows I have no other programmers to replace him and that I'm not yet skilled enough as a programmer to take that job as well as the artwork position I'm already filling.

I hadn't thought about answering that way. It just upset me too much to think of it, since I had already told one of the other artists the idea was an absolute no and wasn't negotiable.

I know one of the ideas I said no to was a good idea, and we did go ahead with it, I just know for a fact that the other idea he was trying to make me accept wouldn't be popular and would just quadruple the amount of work the artists have to do. He was trying to frustrate me because he knew I couldn't replace him.

I actually did deal with the idea the best way I could, due to this it likely won't be implemented, but I know he'll try again, which is why I posted the topic for ideas.

Borrow a few million from your daddy to get you through the rough patch. It's what Trump did.
I may have a rich personality, but that doesn't mean my family is rich. We're lower-middle class, and my family has made it clear that I'm on my own outside of what they deem necessities.

Anyone can be replaced.
I have yet to find other programmers. I've been searching, but it's rather difficult, since they're in high demand. One of my programmers is already a part of six other projects, and the one giving me trouble is only a part of my project. It's especially difficult to find one that will invest his time in a project that won't pay until/unless it's successful.

You mean Valve?
The team members that are usurping your control need to go and you need to protect your creation with legal means...
It's an independent project, I'm too young to be employed by Valve... yet. I can't use legal means since it's unofficial.

Anyone can be replaced.
I have yet to find other programmers. I've been searching, but it's rather difficult, since they're in high demand. One of my programmers is already a part of six other projects, and the one giving me trouble is only a part of my project. It's especially difficult to find one that will invest his time in a project that won't pay until/unless it's successful.
You DO realize he may only be on your project because nobody else wants to put up with him/her?

Yes people are difficult, however, make that work in your favor.

Hear them out,

Give them due deference for their ideas and expertise,

be prepared to lose them....... start looking now and never stop. The reality...they may get hit by a bus tomorrow and die, they may find a better opportunity and leave, they may decide they just want to go in another direction and leave you.

You want to run a business always be prepared for the worst.

I may have a rich personality, but that doesn't mean my family is rich. We're lower-middle class, and my family has made it clear that I'm on my own outside of what they deem necessities.

Don't let the rabid mutt bully or intimidate you. He doesn't seem to know how to have an actual conversation with others without poking jabs. Someone needs to put him on a tighter leash

Anyone can be replaced.
You DO realize he may only be on your project because nobody else wants to put up with him/her?
Yes, that is likely the case. He's extremely difficult and causes problems for general purpose. He's actually the reason I've been searching for two programmers instead of one... the second being to replace him.

If you are project lead, then you need to be a lead. Get the principles together in a room and have this phrase on the whiteboard:

We've all agreed that nobody will get paid until/unless the game is successful on Steam.

That's the goal, not ego, not I'm smarter than you. A successful product team has to agree to the direction of the product otherwise YOU ALL FAIL. That is what you have to drive home.

Don't let the rabid mutt bully or intimidate you. He doesn't seem to know how to have an actual conversation with others without poking jabs. Someone needs to put him on a tighter leash
She truly needs to protect her project first. Her age and inventing a new game? She could be set for income before she gets out of school.

Yes people are difficult, however, make that work in your favor.

Hear them out,

Give them due deference for their ideas and expertise,

be prepared to lose them....... start looking now and never stop. The reality...they may get hit by a bus tomorrow and die, they may find a better opportunity and leave, they may decide they just want to go in another direction and leave you.

You want to run a business always be prepared for the worst.
That's a good thing to keep in mind. I really do need to always keep people on standby to replace those currently on the project.

If you are project lead, then you need to be a lead. Get the principles together in a room and have this phrase on the whiteboard:

We've all agreed that nobody will get paid until/unless the game is successful on Steam.

That's the goal, not ego, not I'm smarter than you. A successful product team has to agree to the direction of the product otherwise YOU ALL FAIL. That is what you have to drive home.
I suppose I do need to put that out in the open tomorrow. I'll follow your advice and round up the team for that discussion.

Forum List

Back