Help Me Out, People Are Difficult

I am very familiar with the "techno arrogance" you describe. But what you will find is that if you can present a logical case for compromise for the greater good of getting your product to market, he/they will agree.

I'm head of a project for a video game I plan to upload to Steam as my first successful video game. This team I've assembled is not official, nor have we actually succeeded before. They don't know my age, of course, that's for the best. We've all agreed that nobody will get paid until/unless the game is successful on Steam.

What I need help with is how to keep it under control. I can't replace either programmer, so when they gang up on me to take the project in a different direction that I don't want it to go, I can't overrule them or I'd risk losing irreplaceable team members. Please tell me how to keep them line. I know for a fact one is basically throwing monkey wrenches at me to upset me, because he knows he can.

Borrow a few million from your daddy to get you through the rough patch. It's what Trump did.
I may have a rich personality, but that doesn't mean my family is rich. We're lower-middle class, and my family has made it clear that I'm on my own outside of what they deem necessities.

Don't let the rabid mutt bully or intimidate you. He doesn't seem to know how to have an actual conversation with others without poking jabs. Someone needs to put him on a tighter leash
She truly needs to protect her project first. Her age and inventing a new game? She could be set for income before she gets out of school.

Agreed, I didn't take the legality into account. Good point.

I'm head of a project for a video game I plan to upload to Steam as my first successful video game. This team I've assembled is not official, nor have we actually succeeded before. They don't know my age, of course, that's for the best. We've all agreed that nobody will get paid until/unless the game is successful on Steam.

What I need help with is how to keep it under control. I can't replace either programmer, so when they gang up on me to take the project in a different direction that I don't want it to go, I can't overrule them or I'd risk losing irreplaceable team members. Please tell me how to keep them line. I know for a fact one is basically throwing monkey wrenches at me to upset me, because he knows he can.

Always communicate, make sure everyone is happy.

The first rule of management is that you're not a superior being, you have your job, and they have theirs, everyone is equal. My last company didn't think like this, and they lost most of their essential workers, and those they do have are rubbish.

People want to be happy, they want to feel valued. If they want to go in another direction then you talk to them about it, and if you're willing to see their side, and potentially make changes, because hey, they might be right, then you're a team.

I am very familiar with the "techno arrogance" you describe. But what you will find is that if you can present a logical case for compromise for the greater good of getting your product to market, he/they will agree.
I guess I've been caving much easier this time. I've been a part of three other projects that have failed, so I guess I've been a bit too careful. You're right, though, I should be able to present my case logically if I'm questioned so that we can at least come to the best conclusion and present the best possible product for the market.

I guess I've been caving much easier this time. I've been a part of three other projects that have failed, so I guess I've been a bit too careful. You're right, though, I should be able to present my case logically if I'm questioned so that we can at least come to the best conclusion and present the best possible product for the market.

and that should be everyone's focus.....the end goal

You mean Valve?
The team members that are usurping your control need to go and you need to protect your creation with legal means...
It's an independent project, I'm too young to be employed by Valve... yet. I can't use legal means since it's unofficial.

You have created what is called an "intellectual property" and if you plan to continue all aspects of this game/company need to be defined.

You will need legal protection such as maybe setting up an LLC so some far left drone will not sue you personally for the creation of a game that may give their kids nightmares.

All things can be done in a legal manner regardless of age..

Might want to look up and consult a few lawyers for LCC's and intellectual properties.

Pumpkin, you know I know you pretty well. You have a good head on your shoulders. If and when the time comes, you will know what to do.

Some have given you good advice here, some not so much. Take the good, and then throw away the bad or negative advice. You will do great. Of that I am positive.

Good luck!! :)

Yes people are difficult, however, make that work in your favor.

Hear them out,

Give them due deference for their ideas and expertise,

be prepared to lose them....... start looking now and never stop. The reality...they may get hit by a bus tomorrow and die, they may find a better opportunity and leave, they may decide they just want to go in another direction and leave you.

You want to run a business always be prepared for the worst.
That's a good thing to keep in mind. I really do need to always keep people on standby to replace those currently on the project.
I am reticent to discuss this issue in depth here, however, my socioeconomic background was similar to yours based on your description in this thread.

Here is the short version of my story:

I started my first tax bookkeeping business when I was 14 years old. It was in The Bronx, my clients were from mom and pops stores, gas station owners and bars(patrons did not like doing their taxes). I was first generation professional, so my path was uncharted. This lead to my legal career and those business habits and models have lead to a successful music career, photography business and political and civil career.

Some tips: Discussing this on the internet is playing Russian Roulette with your idea, business, business model etc. Best way to get sound advice is to sit down with QUALIFIED people who wish to help. My suggestion is to see how these folks would be of service to you. Starting a Business | The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov

Make an appointment and perhaps they will help you develop a business plan, secure funding, they may foster an intro to those who may take an interest in your idea.

Next step make an appointment with a local law school to see how you may be able to protect yourself. Law school have clinics free of charge to those they choose to help.

Lastly, develop an objective, clinical approach to your idea: what you are doing is YOUR BABY, it has been gestating in your mind and your heart, now you are giving it birth. What you are doing is very personal and will set a course for which you can follow throughout your professional life, no matter what task you may be involved with.

Good Luck!

Forum List

Back