Hell exists -- I lived there for fourteen years

I used to live in Hell, Michigan for over 5 years. Literally.

1590119769310.png

My mother hit me and broke my things, then I'd go to school and the bullies made my life miserable.

You think God wouldn't send anyone to hell?

Think again.

I was a kid who'd done nothing wrong and God allowed me to live in hell for fourteen years.
Sorry to hear this. Luckily I had parents who were loving and compassionate and never hurt me, my sister, or my brother.

My mother hit me and broke my things, then I'd go to school and the bullies made my life miserable.

Think again.

I was a kid who'd done nothing wrong and God allowed me to live in hell for fourteen years.
Which god?

Think again.

Been there myself, a few times and I'm sorry you had to go thru that......but what changed at 14? (If I may ask and is up to you if you choose to answer or not and that's ok)

Sometimes we experience 'hell' at the hands of others, so we can learn what His goodness, love & mercy is like in comparison. As for those who contribute to that hell, they will be judged for it.

I can relate. When I was a teenager, I told God I was depending on Him to help me out. At that point I had no one to turn to for advice. I wished I could talk to my older self and shouted a question into the future: What do you advise, future me?!? The answer that seemed to float back to me was, "Sorry, can't help you through your teens. Please don't do anything that messes up my twenties." God helped me through my teens by blessing me with strength and determination to not do anything that might mess up my twenties.

Do you recall that song, Teach Your Children? One line has always stayed with me. "And you, of tender years, can't know the fears your elders grew by." It took many more years, but I did begin to understand some of the fears my elders grew by. Made some memories easier.

Think again.

Sorry to hear that. Do you have any sort of relationship with your Mother now?
My mother killed herself. For many years afterwards I was plagued by visions of her burning in hell. She was too damn selfish to take into consideration how much she'd hurt me if she killed herself. I lit candles for her in church, paying $1 per candle. Eventually, I stopped. I figured if she's in hell there's no way I'm getting her out even if I buy a whole warehouse full of candles.

I used my mother's notebook to write a Christmas play. My mother said I shouldn't have used her notebook and burned my play in the fireplace.

I used clay to make a scale model of every planet in the solar system. I strung it up on a string in my room. My mother yanked the string down.

I was into Ronald Reagan so I drew up a list of every state and how many delegates voted for Reagan and how many voted for Ford. When the convention was over I taped it to my wall. My mother ripped it in half and tore it down.

My father and mother would have arguments late at night. My mother would scream at the top of her lungs. Then, to hurt my father's feelings, she would come in my room and hit me.

I have to conclude that even if my mother didn't go to hell for killing herself she went to hell for all the hurtful shit she did to me.

My mother is still hurting me even though I'm now 54 years old. I can't put to one side all the shit she did to me, and I am still angry at my father for letting her do it to me.

Also, I'm angry at God. Almost all the bad things that have happened to me is because my personality is defective due to the shitty things my mother did to me. I've prayed and prayed and God kept allowing these bad things to happen. I got so angry I stopped going to Mass. I was a bad example for my children and now they don't go to Mass either.

Despite what my mother did to me, I'm the one who paid for her grave so that she could have a nice memorial plaque. Had I not done that, she'd be in an unmarked grave forever.

I used my mother's notebook to write a Christmas play. My mother said I shouldn't have used her notebook and burned my play in the fireplace.

I used clay to make a scale model of every planet in the solar system. I strung it up on a string in my room. My mother yanked the string down.

I was into Ronald Reagan so I drew up a list of every state and how many delegates voted for Reagan and how many voted for Ford. When the convention was over I taped it to my wall. My mother ripped it in half and tore it down.

My father and mother would have arguments late at night. My mother would scream at the top of her lungs. Then, to hurt my father's feelings, she would come in my room and hit me.

I have to conclude that even if my mother didn't go to hell for killing herself she went to hell for all the hurtful shit she did to me.

My mother is still hurting me even though I'm now 54 years old. I can't put to one side all the shit she did to me, and I am still angry at my father for letting her do it to me.

Also, I'm angry at God. Almost all the bad things that have happened to me is because my personality is defective due to the shitty things my mother did to me. I've prayed and prayed and God kept allowing these bad things to happen. I got so angry I stopped going to Mass. I was a bad example for my children and now they don't go to Mass either.

Despite what my mother did to me, I'm the one who paid for her grave so that she could have a nice memorial plaque. Had I not done that, she'd be in an unmarked grave forever.
Again, so sorry to hear this.

Sometimes we have to admit some things/people are beyond our own strength to forgive. We can then ask God to handle such forgiveness for us until such time (should there ever come a time) we do have that strength to forgive. In my experience, God does not mind carrying this weight in our stead.

Look up generational abuse, it's a learned coping mechanism behavior. Your mother abused you, because that's what she learned from her parents that probably abused her.
Yes in some ways suicide is a selfish act......but you may never know the hell she had been thru, that got her there.

I "officially" forgave my mother when I forgave everyone else who'd ever hurt me during a religious experience I now realize was part of a manic episode.

But now, I realize there is no undoing the damage she did to me.

All my life I've felt anger and I don't think there's anything I can do to make it go away.

Your mother was a bad mother, rook And what is worse is, you have to forgive her. Not for her sake, but for yours. Ask God for the strength to do that.
This is earth, and shit happens here. No one promised us a rose garden. When the disciples asked Christ why innocent people died when a tower fell His answer was, "The rain falls on the just and the unjust".
For now make His grace and redemption enough for you, and ask Him to soften your heart toward your parents.
Because, it's hard to forgive someone that has hurt you. It takes a sweet Jesus peace.
You'll be ok. I'm sorry she hurt you so badly.

Last edited:
I "officially" forgave my mother when I forgave everyone else who'd ever hurt me during a religious experience I now realize was part of a manic episode.

All my life I've felt anger and I don't think there's anything I can do to make it go away.

So maybe your mother was bipolar as well.

One of my favorite statues is that of the lion and the lamb together. I had to learn that no emotion was 'bad', that the stronger 'lion emotion' was a signal to act (or react). The trick was to find the opposite ('lamb emotion') to temper and follow through with the most appropriate reaction. Anger is a signal to take action; the lamb regulates that action.

Think again.

I can relate. It took many MANY years for me to realize she was a mental case and should never have had children, and my father being too much of a wuss to do something about her abuse. I loved my dad. But I had no respect for him after he died and I put all the pieces together of WHY she did what she did, and WHY he let her.
But this was not on God. This was on two people unable to parent, with one not knowing what love was, the other so in love he allowed abuse to two little girls I guess he didn't love enough.

So maybe your mother was bipolar as well.
Yes, she was.

I never forgave my mother. I understood she was mental, yes. But I could not forgive and never did. She died 2 weeks before I found out about it and I haven't shed a tear at all. Never will, either. Understanding and accepting are two different things. Yes, she was a nutbar that was abusive, cruel, mean and ruined my life even now because her actions caused me to be so...standoffish, leary, paranoid of anyone showing affection towards me.
She died years ago at age 89 or so..and at 68, I still loathe her.

Forum List

Back