Gun Grabbers Blame Toy Guns and Airsoft Guns For Police Shooting of 13-Year-Old

I place blame on both the police as well as the manufacturer of the pellet gun. I have no problem with requiring some kind of easily recognizable symbol that would make identifying such guns as not lethal. But then again how long would it take for a criminal to imitate such an identifier?

Two Sonoma County deputies spotted the boy holding what appeared to be an assault rifle Tuesday afternoon, the Santa Rosa County Sheriff's office said. They pulled over "but maintained cover behind their open passenger door," the press release said.

They yelled at the teen to put the weapon down. He had his back to them and began turning around toward the officers, the statement said.

"One of the deputies described that as the subject was turning toward him the barrel of the assault rifle was rising up and turning in his direction. The deputy feared for his safety, the safety of his partner, and the safety of the community members in the area," the statement said.

A deputy shot the teen. The teen was handcuffed, and the officers called for an ambulance, the statement said. Deputies found the fake rifle on the ground near the boy. The bogus handgun was tucked in his waistband.

Ismael Mondragon said he was in front of the sheriff's cruiser at a stop sign when he saw Cruz with the replica. Mondragon told CNN he warned the teen, "Put that thing away. The police are here," but got no response.

Mondragon said he went through the stop sign and saw the sheriff's car pull over behind him. Within seconds, he said, he heard shots fired and saw the teen fall.

Deputy kills 13-year-old carrying fake rifle - CNN.com

Non lethal or 'toy' guns are equipped with an orange ring at the end of the barrel.
This is by law a high visibility orange easily recognizable.
Unfortunately many kids remove the orange ring. Why? Who knows. I guess it not 'cool'...
This where the parents come in. If a parent sees the ring missing, they should take the toy away and destroy it.
Most parents are too lazy or do not wish to upset their kid to follow this simply precaution.
This incident is not a 'tragic accident'....it is the result of violent kids using guns or other weapons to commit horrible crimes getting younger all the time. Two weeks ago there was a shooting by a 12 year old kid. Who then killed himself with the gun he was using.
I blame a lot of the crime committed by young children on the adults that made them.
If the parents of these kids were held responsible for the actions of their kids, it would put a serious dent in preteen crime.
According to this story, the kid perhaps was acting out.. The non responsiveness has me scratching my head.

Pellet and play guns need to have orange ends to prove to cops that they are not weapons. Cops need to stop just shooting first and asking questions later.

The kids remove the rings. When my kid was into air soft, he took the ring off his gun. I told him if he wanted to keep using it, he better figure out how to make the end orange again. He painted it.
Then his friends came by and some of them had removed the rings. I told my son if he wanted to be able to continue air soft, his friends had to show up with their guns in compliance or they could exclude my son.
I saw one kid get cuffed and put into a police car because he had an air soft pistol stuffed in his waistband. The cop was acting on a call from a passing motorist.
The cop took the gun and called the kid's parents to come pick him up.

When I was a kid there were no such "orange muzzle" law and every boy I ever knew had lots of toy guns and then, later, BB guns. I never knew or even ever heard of a kid with a toy gun being shot down by LEOs until long after I was grown.
As a soldier in Vietnam there were times and places that I was allowed to use my weapon only if fired upon. Didn't matter if the enemy was in full uniform, carrying an NVA flag and brandishing an AK-47. He was supposed to fire first. Or just wave, smile, and hope he was a lousy shot. Sometimes not following instructions well is a good thing.
The simple fact remains that the most basic and vital job of a LEO is to accurately determine what is/is not a threat and acting accordingly. A person who does not do this should not be trusted with a weapon much less a badge.

Forum List

Back