Greatest of all time: Position by Position

Truthspeaker

Αλήθεια η&
Nov 26, 2008
San Francisco
1. Rickey Henderson-rf: Best Season in Prime: .325 avg, .439 obp, 119 runs, 65 steals, .577 slg%, 61 rbi, 28 hr. 1 career gold glove

2.Pete Rose-2b: .348 avg, .428 obp, 88 bb, 120 runs, 82 rbi, 218 h, .512 slg%, 11 triples, 16 hrs, 2 gold gloves

3. Barry Bonds-lf: .362avg, .609 obp, only 373 ab, 45 hr, .812 slg%, 101 rbi, only 41k's, 232 bb's(120 int), 129 runs, 8 gold gloves, 514 career steals.

4. Babe Ruth-dh: .378 avg, .846 slg%, .512 obp, 145 bb, only 81 k's, 171 rbi, 59 hr's, 16 triples, 17 steals, 44 2b's, 204 hits, 177 runs, fantastic pitcher too. gold gloves not in existence.

5. Lou Gherig-1b: .373 avg, 175 rbi, 47 hr's, .765 slg%, .474 obp, 18 triples, 52 2b's, 149 runs, 109 bb's, 10 steals, 218 hits, only 84 k's. gold glove not in existence

6. Josh Gibson-c concrete stats unavailable. Career lifetime average between .354 and .387. Over 800 lifetime homers. Rocket arm.

7. Willie Mays-cf: .319 avg, 51 hr's, .400 obp, 127 rbi, 13 triples, 24 steals, .659 slg%, 123 runs, 185 hits. 11 time gold glove winner.

8. Hack Wilson-3b: 5'2" tall, 210 lbs, size 7 1/2 shoe, 56 hr's, 191 rbi(mlb record), .356 avg, .454 obp, 105 bb, 146 runs, .723 slg%, 208 hits, 6 triples(that would be fun to watch the midget fire hydrant leg out a triple)

9. Omar Vizquel: .333 avg, 112 runs, 36 2b's, 191 hits, 66 rbi, 42 steals, 11 gold gloves.

On the mound:

Christy Matthewson: 31-9(all wins in starts), 1.28 era(how did he lose 9 times?), .775 winning %, 8 shutouts, 338 ip just 64 walks, 32 cg, 37 starts(2 losses in relief. oh, that's how), only 4 hr's allowed, 206 k's, 0.837 whip, 1 bb/9innings, 0.1 hr/9innings, 6.6 h/9innings, 6k/1bb ratio.

This guy was insane!

Who can come with a team that can hang for me in 1 single game. By the way Babe Ruth would be my closer if needed. but I don't think I need one for "Matty".

Last edited:
It's a nice try, but no way.

First, Ruth had a rocket arm and belongs in RF, Henderson was an assclown on defense.

Next, Hack Wilson never played third base.

Outside of gherig, the infiled is not so hot.

I'd have to reseach before posting more on this.

It's a nice try, but no way.

First, Ruth had a rocket arm and belongs in RF, Henderson was an assclown on defense.

Next, Hack Wilson never played third base.

Outside of gherig, the infiled is not so hot.

I'd have to reseach before posting more on this.

You know what, I stand corrected about Hack. I thought he was a 3rd baseman. In that case. I put him in the dh spot and move the Babe to right, Barry to left, and Rickey would become the odd man out because he doesn't play 3rd, who is not an "ass clown" on defense if he won a gold glove.

That would open up a spot for my second favorite 3rd baseman of all time MikeJack Schmidt.
Best Year: .286, 48 jacks, 121 rbi, 104 runs, .624 slg%, 10 gold gloves gives him the slight edge of Alex Rodriguez.( I know Alex is a better hitter by a little, but with this lineup I take a little more defense with such great pitching.)

best season.

You need to research a lot of players.

Go here:

Baseball-Reference.com - Major League Baseball Statistics and History

Look up 'Honus Wagner' to see what a HoF SS is.

Also, look up Micky Mantle's 1956 stats, they blow away Willie Mays, Mantle hit 353 with 52 HR that year.

Look up ted wiliams, the guy hit .406 one year.

Josh Gibson never played a game vs the MLB players outside of barnstorming, you can't say he's better then guys like Bill Dicky & Yogi Berra.

Last edited:
Look up 'Honus Wagner' to see what a HoF SS is.

Ah at last some debate!! Honus Wagner and I are no strangers. Truly the best hitting shortstop of all time. However when I'm putting together such a team, I realize there is more to it than just batting stats. Omar Vizquel is the greatest defensive shortstop of all time and more than capable at the plate(all time leader in hits by a shortstop.see stats). Considering Matty is on the mound, there will be a lot of ground balls. also I don't know why you could possibly be balking at my selection of rose. The guy had a 44 game hitstreak immediately followed by 22 game hitstreak the very next game. Charlie Hustle must be on the team. Therefore he must be at second base, a slight favorite to Rogers Hornsby.

Also, look up Micky Mantle's 1956 stats, they blow away Willie Mays, Mantle hit 353 with 52 HR that year.

I know Mickey had more power than Willie, but I'm talking the whole package. The Dimaggio, Mays, Mantle debate has been going on for decades. Each are pretty much equal to the other but the reason why I choose Willie is for his slightly superior range and arm in the outfield. But don't act like he's chopped liver, meat!

Look up ted wiliams, the guy hit .406 one year.
A truly deserving candidate. But don't act like I never heard of the guy for crying out loud! It's just that somebody's gotta be snubbed. Put your team together and let's compare position by position. Ted didn't drive in enough runs for me at the very end and is not the defender I'm looking for. tough spot for a manager when you have to snub Ted.

Josh Gibson never played a game vs the MLB players outside of barnstorming, you can't say he's better then guys like Bill Bicky & Yogi Berra.

This is absurd!:lol:
No Catcher in the history of the game could ever be half the hitter Gibson was. You know better than to say that knowing players are equal. Especially since all the barnstorming games against themajor leagues were heavily dominated by the negro leaguers. If you need me to I can prove it in the matchup stats.

Barry Bonds isn't even in Ted Williams' league.

Numbers don't lie. Ted is a step below Bonds. The only thing Ted has on him is batting average. It stops there. You can't even say that he drove in more runs(he did) because he consistently would get about 150-200 more at bats than Bond's. This one is not close. Don't let your dislike of him cloud your judgment. I don't like him either, but don't be a fool.

Snub Ted, arguably the greatest hitter of all time, for the guy who's skull continued to grow into his early 40s.

Yeah ...

Barry Bonds isn't even in Ted Williams' league.

Numbers don't lie. Ted is a step below Bonds. The only thing Ted has on him is batting average. It stops there. You can't even say that he drove in more runs(he did) because he consistently would get about 150-200 more at bats than Bond's. This one is not close. Don't let your dislike of him cloud your judgment. I don't like him either, but don't be a fool.

Nothing is clouding my judgement.

You show your ignorance by calling me a fool for saying Bonds isn't in Ted Williams' league.

No Catcher in the history of the game could ever be half the hitter Gibson was. You know better than to say that knowing players are equal. Especially since all the barnstorming games against themajor leagues were heavily dominated by the negro leaguers. If you need me to I can prove it in the matchup stats.
You can argue the other stuff so i will skip it.

What you just posted is ludicrous.

Berra won THREE MVP awards.

THREE.

Dickey won two of them.

The idea in barnstorming was to give the locals a thrill, it was not a 'real' game nor a stat.

Gibson has no place being listed as the 'greatest' at anything except where he played, the negro leagues.

The proof is when the leagues integrated the black players were not superior to the white ones.

in 1936 Bill Dickey hit .362 with 22 HR with 107 RBIs and only struck out 16 times.

You can argue the other stuff so i will skip it.

What you just posted is ludicrous.

Berra won THREE MVP awards.

THREE.

Dickey won two of them.

The idea in barnstorming was to give the locals a thrill, it was not a 'real' game nor a stat.

Gibson has no place being listed as the 'greatest' at anything except where he played, the negro leagues.

The proof is when the leagues integrated the black players were not superior to the white ones.

in 1936 Bill Dickey hit .362 with 22 HR with 107 RBIs and only struck out 16 times.

Ridiculous....did you see the disparity between the National League and the American League in the 60's and 70s? The National League fully integrated while the American League hired tokens on each team.

Bill Dickey was not in Josh Gibsons league by anyones observation. Gibson had emense power and hit for average.

Satchel Paige was perhaps the greatest pitcher ever

How does Bonds get to be considered better than just about ANYONE these days?

Unless someone can prove that the great throwback players like Ted were shooting roids into their ass, Bonds loses all credibility when put up against them.

Truth, you're telling people not to let something cloud their judgement, meanwhile you're obviously letting the fact that Bonds was on your team for most of his career cloud YOURS.

Last edited:
I'll be back with my list later.

I'd think the list should take into consideration offense AND defense. The all-time team should consist of well-rounded players.

Mush as it pains me to admit it, Pedro Martinez in his prime with Boston is at least on par and probably better than Bob Gibson. In the most degenerate "let 'eh hit mo' homers than ever before and a 5.0 ERA is average" system Pedro had a consistent ERA sub 2.

It's like Gretzky in 81

Ridiculous....did you see the disparity between the National League and the American League in the 60's and 70s? The National League fully integrated while the American League hired tokens on each team.
Yes you are rediculous, they integrated in 1947, and since you didn't pay attaention, men like Mike Schmidt and pete Rose played in the 60s & 70s.

Bill Dickey was not in Josh Gibsons league by anyones observation. Gibson had emense power and hit for average.
I sugest you learn about baseball before saying something so stupid.

You just proclaimed a hallof famer is 'not in the league' with a player who NEVER played a major league game.

Satchel Paige was perhaps the greatest pitcher ever
In the negro leagues.

Not in the major leagues.

Mush as it pains me to admit it, Pedro Martinez in his prime with Boston is at least on par and probably better than Bob Gibson. In the most degenerate "let 'eh hit mo' homers than ever before and a 5.0 ERA is average" system Pedro had a consistent ERA sub 2.

It's like Gretzky in 81

When you take into consideration the mound being lowered, the DH rule, and the rampid steroid use going on during Pedro's prime years he may very well be the best ever.

It's like Gretzky in 81

When you take into consideration the mound being lowered, the DH rule, and the rampid steroid use going on during Pedro's prime years he may very well be the best ever.
Longivity is an issue with him.

I would not include him in the best ever, or even the top ten.

Forum List

Back