Grammar Question. Help!

Ringtone

Platinum Member
Sep 3, 2019
Generally, I'm a competent writer, but it recently occurred to me that I might not be using a particular, metaphoric device of simile correctly. For example, which is correct?

Its sound was that of an approaching train.

OR

Its sound was that of an approaching train's.

In other words: His wont was that of a beggar (or beggar's?). . . .

Thanks.

Last edited:
Without knowing the characters perception... Both could be correct. Is it one train? Or multiples? The quandary in this writing isn't one of grammar. Rather one of context

Generally, I'm a competent writer, but it recently occurred to me that I might not be using a particular metaphoric device correctly. For example, which is correct?

It's sound was that of an approaching train.

OR

It's sound was that of an approaching train's.

Thanks.

I believe number one would be correct, but it should be its, not it's. It's is a contraction for "it is."

I believe number one would be correct, but it should be its, not it's. It's is a contraction for "it is."
Yeah, I already caught the it's thingy. LOL! I started to express it differently and forgot to remove the apostrophe.

Last edited:
You don't need to establish possession of the sound twice, which is what you're doing in the second example. I don't know that it's incorrect to say it that way but it's definitely a little redundant.

Last edited:
Generally, I'm a competent writer, but it recently occurred to me that I might not be using a particular, metaphoric device of simile correctly. For example, which is correct?

OR

Thanks.
If you presented that to an English teacher, he or she would be hard-pressed to correct your use of either one. The train is singular with use of “an” and the noise is “owned” by the train so the possessive form works.

OR

Thanks.
1st one is fine.

Your 2nd option would require "an" to be omitted and the apostrophe to be removed out of train's to make that sentence correct.

OR

Thanks.
Without knowing the characters perception... Both could be correct. Is it one train? Or multiples? The quandary in this writing isn't one of grammar. Rather one of context
one train--not multiple ..I think he edited it

Forum List

Back