Grammar Question. Help!

Without knowing the characters perception... Both could be correct. Is it one train? Or multiples? The quandary in this writing isn't one of grammar. Rather one of context
Just one, see an and singular train. The second examples are possessive.

If you presented that to an English teacher, he or she would be hard-pressed to correct your use of either one. The train is singular with use of “an” and the noise is “owned” by the train so the possessive form works.
May I know which one you prefer? I'm about to copyright something and just want to make sure it's right.

May I know which one you prefer? I'm about to copyright something and just want to make sure it's right.
Sure:) For the sake of readability, I’d go with the first option. Most readers won’t even question that there could’ve been another option.

Yeah, that really blew the image you're trying to create for yourself!
Get a life Donald Duck. Your anti- Americanism has grown “wear”. There you have a relatively new use for the word ‘wear’… repetitive and old.

Sorry to the OP for getting off topic.

If you presented that to an English teacher, he or she would be hard-pressed to correct your use of either one. The train is singular with use of “an” and the noise is “owned” by the train so the possessive form works.
Perhaps I should share the fuller context. I'm editing a piece I wrote on the Anglo-American tradition of natural law, and at one point I compare the quality of Thomas Paine's politics to the quality of his prose. The latter is marvelous.

I write:

In a letter to Jefferson, Adams allowed that despite the shortcomings of Paine’s political thought, his lyrical mastery of the written word was that of a virtuoso. He expected that in due time Paine would grow, politically, under their mentorship. But Paine’s political thought never appreciatively matured. His talent was strictly that of a writer [or writer's?]. He was a master of the polemic, often invectively strident, but magically clever. He was at his best when he inspired or impassioned. In that wise, his style was the quite eloquence and simplicity of a brewing storm.

Perhaps I should share the fuller context. I'm editing a piece I wrote on the Anglo-American tradition of natural law, and at one point I compare the quality of Thomas Paine's politics to the quality of his prose. The latter is marvelous.

I write:
Don't use the one in brackets.

I write:
"He was at his best when he inspired or impassioned. In that wise, his style was the quite eloquence and simplicity of a brewing storm."

There are too many grammar and spelling errors in that one sentence to bother explaining. Hire a ghost writer.

What's this posing all about?

I write:
“In that wise” or “in that way”? Exceptional use of colorful, not overly used adjectives.

I write:
The seems to be another time to go with “simple” instead of stringently addressing the possessive grammatical rule for the sake of a flowing narrative.

Forum List

Back