Government mandates waste in healthcare system

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
I have personally witnessed government regulations that encourage waste in the healthcare system.

I had a very ill friend on Medicare and Tricare. When she was discharged from a physical rehabilitation center, they gave her a free wheelchair. I asked, instead, for a free transport chair, which is cheaper and lighter for a caregiver to use. No, they couldn't do that. They also gave her a free walker although she already had two other walkers at home. They hadn’t bothered to ask, “Do you already have this?”

Then, when she was admitted to a licensed boarding care facility, I offered to bring her large number of pills from her home to the facility. The operator said no, government regulation wouldn't allow that. They had to start from scratch to order new drugs. So those hundreds of dollars of medicine were wasted. The facility operator also noted that when many of her very ill patients died, they had several bottles of pills left over. She wanted to ship them to a clinic in the Philippines, but the government said that was prohibited. So again, hundreds or even thousands of dollars of medicine went to waste.

I have personally witnessed government regulations that encourage waste in the healthcare system.

I had a very ill friend on Medicare and Tricare. When she was discharged from a physical rehabilitation center, they gave her a free wheelchair. I asked, instead, for a free transport chair, which is cheaper and lighter for a caregiver to use. No, they couldn't do that. They also gave her a free walker although she already had two other walkers at home. They hadn’t bothered to ask, “Do you already have this?”

Then, when she was admitted to a licensed boarding care facility, I offered to bring her large number of pills from her home to the facility. The operator said no, government regulation wouldn't allow that. They had to start from scratch to order new drugs. So those hundreds of dollars of medicine were wasted. The facility operator also noted that when many of her very ill patients died, they had several bottles of pills left over. She wanted to ship them to a clinic in the Philippines, but the government said that was prohibited. So again, hundreds or even thousands of dollars of medicine went to waste.

Waste in a goverment program!? Surely you jest, I'm all aghast. LOL I challenge anyone to name just one thing that government does that they haven't managed to mismanage and bugger up beyond all recognition. In the military it was called FUBAR.

Last edited:

Waste in a goverment program!? Surely you jest, I'm all aghast. LOL I challenge anyone to name just one thing that government does that they haven't managed to mismanage and bugger up beyond all recognition. In the military it was called FUBAR.

I suspect, though, that some of those wasteful practices and regulations are the result of lobbying by drug company and health equipment manufacturers who wanted more tax money spent on their products. Republicans seldom turn a deaf hear to those industry lobbyists.

Been happening for years nothing new here, but surprised they didn't want to ship leftover drugs overseas. Maybe they gave them to these docs who go overseas for mission trips I had several left over antibiotics and a few bags of IV antibiotics last year some were 3 years old and I took them to a good samaritan clinic and they said they would ship the liquids overseas and use the rest here in the states as they really don't expire for about 5 years.

A lot of that kind of crap is a CYA because of the law suits that are possible-

I suspect, though, that some of those wasteful practices and regulations are the result of lobbying by drug company and health equipment manufacturers who wanted more tax money spent on their products. Republicans seldom turn a deaf hear to those industry lobbyists.

There's absolutely no doubt about it. Those who are elected to serve us are the first to sell us down the river so that they can keep their fat asses planted in those seats. There is only one way to fix it and that is constitutional amedment limiting terms to ONE term in office without the possibility of being reelected until they've sat out a like term completely isolated from government except to vote like any other taxpayer.

Forum List

Back