Gone with the wind gone

EQUALITY!!!! Shouts the far left and “Black Lives Matter”...

...Except if it’s something we don’t like or agree with!! Then that’s RACIST!!! And the person who said it must be fired, the program must be removed, and statue destroyed!!!

I think that many people were expecting "Gone with the Wind" to eventually be prohibited from public showings. Maybe if enough people get on their knees, our new masters will generously allow the film to be shown at least behind locked doors in university-level history classes only.

The classic "The Birth of a Nation" is only allowed to be shown to university-level cinema students. The director of that (in)famous film, D.W. Griffith, said before his death in the 1940s that it SHOULD be prohibited because he felt that African Americans had suffered enough in this country. Because of last week's Insurrection, I suspect that universities will not only stop cinema students from viewing it but will also destroy any copies.

First they got Elmer Fudd shotgun now Gone with the wind is being pulled look out to Kill a Mockingbird you might be next.
HBO Max Removes 'Gone With the Wind'
Thank goodness they're putting it back up with a "disclaimer." I saw that movie the first time when I was 12, and it has always been one of my favorites. No one disputes it is one of the classics. The movie is about the experience of a southern plantation belle during and after the Civil War, how she faced hell and overcame it, and it's got one of the greatest love stories of all time.

I don't disagree with the criticisms about the depictions of slavery, but slavery is not what the movie is about. It is a SOUTHERNER'S perspective of the war, what they went through. Most of the scenes depicting slaves were brief "bit" parts (except the central character Mammy) and while I agree they were depicted as childish and adoring of their black masters, no one can argue that the movie was done to further black stereotypes. It was to show a horrible experience that a hard headed and determined woman overcame, and she never gave up--her last words were "Tomorrow is another day!" There was always hope if you stayed strong, and THAT was the message that Depression era crowds took home with them. It is still the message that I get from it.

Is it weird that Hattie McDonald won the first Academy Award by an AA in it, and they pull it?

Why does HBO hate Black People?

Ms. McDaniel was not allowed to attend the premiere in Atlanta.

At the Oscar dinner, she was not allowed to sit in a certain area, I understand.

I have seen her give her acceptance speech. It was very moving, In 2020, however, anyone who hears one particular sentence would cringe at how docile she was expected to be.

First they got Elmer Fudd shotgun now Gone with the wind is being pulled look out to Kill a Mockingbird you might be next.
HBO Max Removes 'Gone With the Wind'
Thank goodness they're putting it back up with a "disclaimer." I saw that movie the first time when I was 12, and it has always been one of my favorites. No one disputes it is one of the classics. The movie is about the experience of a southern plantation belle during and after the Civil War, how she faced hell and overcame it, and it's got one of the greatest love stories of all time.

I don't disagree with the criticisms about the depictions of slavery, but slavery is not what the movie is about. It is a SOUTHERNER'S perspective of the war, what they went through. Most of the scenes depicting slaves were brief "bit" parts (except the central character Mammy) and while I agree they were depicted as childish and adoring of their black masters, no one can argue that the movie was done to further black stereotypes. It was to show a horrible experience that a hard headed and determined woman overcame, and she never gave up--her last words were "Tomorrow is another day!" There was always hope if you stayed strong, and THAT was the message that Depression era crowds took home with them. It is still the message that I get from it.

Funny how you guys can suddenly see the difference when it is something YOU ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT.

Will this be banned too? Great movie.

1591803685521.png

Excesses such as this always lead to a more moderate level. It would be funny if not so lamentable. This is how we treat children, and even then only to a certain age. One does not develop personal responsibility by 'protecting' people from choice. Education, not censorship, is the answer in a free society.

You guys think Gone With the Wind is being “Banned” because it is being temporarily removed from your favorite pay cable network? Get a grip!
Is it weird that Hattie McDonald won the first Academy Award by an AA in it, and they pull it? Why does HBO hate Black People?
IMO, Hattie McDonald should have won an Academy Award for Showboat. And let’s not be naive and demagogic about what opportunities black actors and actresses had to play what sort of roles in Hollywood in those days. And let’s remember Hollywood was far ahead of the rest of the country in terms of anti-racist consciousness.

Attachments

• 720AB41B-E077-4CFE-8663-0F22C2D330A5.png
    720AB41B-E077-4CFE-8663-0F22C2D330A5.png
    389.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Will this be banned too? Great movie.

View attachment 348335

Tarantino's films are often outrageous with racism and other offensive crap and he simply gets away with it. I'm not sure why. Part of it may be that he's a lefty loon and therefore gets a free pass where another director would be publically shredded.

That being said... I still love his movies. Hateful 8, Django, Reservior Dogs, Dusk Till Dawn... love those.

You guys think Gone With the Wind is being “Banned” because it is being temporarily removed from your favorite pay cable network? Get a grip!
Is it weird that Hattie McDonald won the first Academy Award by an AA in it, and they pull it? Why does HBO hate Black People?
IMO, Hattie McDonald should have won an Academy Award for Showboat. And let’s not be naive and demagogic about what opportunities black actors and actresses had to play what sort of roles in Hollywood in those days. And let’s remember Hollywood was far ahead of the rest of the country in terms of anti-racist consciousness.
There may be truth in what you said. That race consciousness was also somewhat anti ethnic conscious. The people were sturdier and tougher as individuals. They were more bigot laden then racist. Although there was denials. The economy was bad and showed a lot of warts.

Forum List

Back