Glock 42

Bought a Glock 42, .380, single stack 6+1 as a concealed carry gun. It's small and light and very concealable. Plenty of punch with manageable recoil.

I'm a good pistol shot but I couldn't group my shots, they were all over the target at 8 yards. I thought it just needs breaking in, so I patiently put about 100 rounds through it with the same results.

I installed the "pinky extension" on the two magazines that came with it so I would have a better grip, but that didn't help. I did buy an extended 10 round magazine which gave me 4 extra rounds if needed. It looks goofy but actually gives me a better grip.

So with three magazines, two '6's' and 1 '10' I continued practicing. First time out I shot two from a standing unsupported position with the same bad result. On the third magazine I leaned my hip against my car and to my amazement shot a 'ragged hole' (with a just couple of 'flyers'). I was very pleased but curious because I didn't think leaning on the car would make such a difference. I was encouraged though at the accuracy of the gun, at last.

Next time out same results, first two magazines all over the place, third magazine, a nice ragged hole that covered half of the bullseye at about 8 yards. Still puzzled.

Then it hit me! (Drumroll please) I always shot the extended magazine last, and had the best grouping. The little gun is definitely 'top heavy' even when loaded with 7 rounds. However when loaded with 11 rounds and with a much better grip the gun is heavier and much better balanced, thus the accuracy.

I believe that not only is the gun top heavy but it is internally unbalanced which affects the recoil direction. As most my wild shots were low and left I surmise that that's the way the gun moves upon recoiling. No adjustment of my grip seemed to help. Happily the 10 round extended mag did the job.

When I do carry I still use the 6 round magazine as the 10 rounder isn't very concealable. And as my 'wild' shots were still in the kill zone I don't worry about accuracy. Hope this info helps anyone considering a Glock 42.
I have a Glock 42. I also have a Glock 26. The difference is night and day. The 42 has to be held perfectly or jamming could be an issue. That could result in an accuracy problem . The 26 doesn't care much.. It always functions flawlessly.

I always found a .380 to be too small for my hands

I'm just much more comfortable with my Glock 19 and don't find it too hard to carry concealed.
Yup. I think it‘s the nature of the beast. Any .380 big enough to be comfortable shooting, has to compete with the same size 9mm and is harder to conceal. There’s such a big market for these tiny belly guns, being comfortable to carry far outweighs being a comfy shooter. That’s why Ruger sells a .22 LCP variant; for shooting. Smart gun maker.

My 2 cents, take the Glock in and trade it on a better gun like the Ruger LCP (pocket .380), a M&P Shield or........... wait for it........... The Taurus G2C or G3C. Yeah he said Taurus....... Those two are excellent guns despite the long, gritty trigger.
Like all the options, except the Taurus. Imo, their quality is too variable.
Buying and recommending a Glock, Smith or Ruger is like recommending a Toyota car. The buyer may end up not liking it, but they‘re money in the bank and a buyer or good trade for any of them.

Last edited:
Like all the options, except the Taurus. Imo, their quality is too variable.
Buying and recommending a Glock, Smith or Ruger is like recommending a Toyota car. The buyer may end up not liking it, but they‘re money in the bank and a buyer for it any of them.
I agree with you about most Taurus firearms, especially their revolvers but if you did a professional review search on the G2Cs and G3Cs you'de probably be just as surprised as I was. Heck, I see Glock as pretty much a Toyota of firearms these day as quite a few manufactures have taken the basic Glock design and improved upon it where as Glock has remained fairly static in their design. There are a lot of guns out there that are just as good as or better than Glocks at or below the same price points.

I have a Glock 42. I also have a Glock 26. The difference is night and day. The 42 has to be held perfectly or jamming could be an issue. That could result in an accuracy problem . The 26 doesn't care much.. It always functions flawlessly.
I had the jamming problem with the first 25 or so rounds but haven't had any issues since I oiled the lube points.

Yup. I think it‘s the nature of the beast. Any .380 big enough to be comfortable shooting, has to compete with the same size 9mm and is harder to conceal. There’s such a big market for these tiny belly guns, being comfortable to carry far outweighs being a comfy shooter. That’s why Ruger sells a .22 LCP variant; for shooting. Smart gun maker.
I don't find carrying my 9mm to be uncomfortable at all.

I thought the 'stovepiping' problem was caused by 'limpwristing' but it didn't matter how firmly I held the gun. Lubricating the slide solved the problem.

I thought the 'stovepiping' problem was caused by 'limpwristing' but it didn't matter how firmly I held the gun. Lubricating the slide solved the problem.
Let me comment about “ limp wristing”. It’s a variable condition where lighter, poorly designed .380s are MORE susceptible. If you have to have a near perfect grip to prevent jamming, it’s a poor design. All 9 mm and everyother .380 in Bersa and Rutgers I’ve owned are no where near as temperamental.
I don’t consider my G42 adaquate for self defense for that reason. It’s a plinker for me. I wouldn’t buy or recommend one to anyone over Ruger and Smith or even a Bersa I had for decades.

I had the jamming problem with the first 25 or so rounds but haven't had any issues since I oiled the lube points.
I hear you. I just don’t want to carry a weapon for self defense I have to remember the last time I oiled it before I pulled it on a rabid coyote in heat.

I agree with you about most Taurus firearms, especially their revolvers but if you did a professional review search on the G2Cs and G3Cs you'de probably be just as surprised as I was. Heck, I see Glock as pretty much a Toyota of firearms these day as quite a few manufactures have taken the basic Glock design and improved upon it where as Glock has remained fairly static in their design. There are a lot of guns out there that are just as good as or better than Glocks at or below the same price points.
I like revolvers and I like Glocks for self defense and for the same reason.

That's great, as long as you're happy with your choices, I have no problem with what firearms people prefer even if they differ from what I prefer. :thup:
Only talking about the function. They have never changed and lots of revolver people like Gs and prefer no safety and double action. It’s a “ law enforcement “ mentality.

Military has safeties for everything.

Only talking about the function. They have never changed and lots of revolver people like Gs and prefer no safety and double action. It’s a “ law enforcement “ mentality.

Military has safeties for everything.
Gotta love a good wheel gun, I miss my old S&W Model 442.

Cant say I've ever had a stove pipe or any other issue when it comes to semi auto pistols.
My FNX .45 Tactical has never failed to fire...ever.
That goes with my Ruger .380 LCP.
That’s because you were smart and bought a Ruger LCP and not a Glock 42, which IMO, is their worse firearm ever.

Forum List

Back