Glock 42

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Bought a Glock 42, .380, single stack 6+1 as a concealed carry gun. It's small and light and very concealable. Plenty of punch with manageable recoil.

I'm a good pistol shot but I couldn't group my shots, they were all over the target at 8 yards. I thought it just needs breaking in, so I patiently put about 100 rounds through it with the same results.

I installed the "pinky extension" on the two magazines that came with it so I would have a better grip, but that didn't help. I did buy an extended 10 round magazine which gave me 4 extra rounds if needed. It looks goofy but actually gives me a better grip.

So with three magazines, two '6's' and 1 '10' I continued practicing. First time out I shot two from a standing unsupported position with the same bad result. On the third magazine I leaned my hip against my car and to my amazement shot a 'ragged hole' (with a just couple of 'flyers'). I was very pleased but curious because I didn't think leaning on the car would make such a difference. I was encouraged though at the accuracy of the gun, at last.

Next time out same results, first two magazines all over the place, third magazine, a nice ragged hole that covered half of the bullseye at about 8 yards. Still puzzled.

Then it hit me! (Drumroll please) I always shot the extended magazine last, and had the best grouping. The little gun is definitely 'top heavy' even when loaded with 7 rounds. However when loaded with 11 rounds and with a much better grip the gun is heavier and much better balanced, thus the accuracy.

I believe that not only is the gun top heavy but it is internally unbalanced which affects the recoil direction. As most my wild shots were low and left I surmise that that's the way the gun moves upon recoiling. No adjustment of my grip seemed to help. Happily the 10 round extended mag did the job.

When I do carry I still use the 6 round magazine as the 10 rounder isn't very concealable. And as my 'wild' shots were still in the kill zone I don't worry about accuracy. Hope this info helps anyone considering a Glock 42.

Last edited:
Bought a Glock 42, .380, single stack 6+1 as a concealed carry gun. It's small and light and very concealable. Plenty of punch with manageable recoil.

I'm a good pistol shot but I couldn't group my shots, they were all over the target at 8 yards. I thought it just needs breaking in, so I patiently put about 100 rounds through it with the same results.

I installed the "pinky extension" on the two magazines that came with it so I would have a better grip, but that didn't help. I did buy an extended 10 round magazine which gave me 4 extra rounds if needed. It looks goofy but actually gives me a better grip.

So with three magazines, two '6's' and 1 '10' I continued practicing. First time out I shot two from a standing unsupported position with the same bad result. On the third magazine I leaned my hip against my car and to my amazement shot a 'ragged hole' (with a just couple of 'flyers'). I was very pleased but curious because I didn't think leaning on the car would make such a difference. I was encouraged though at the accuracy of the gun, at last.

Next time out same results, first two magazines all over the place, third magazine, a nice ragged hole that covered half of the bullseye at about 8 yards. Still puzzled.

Then it hit me! (Drumroll please) I always shot the extended magazine last, and had the best grouping. The little gun is definitely 'top heavy' even when loaded with 7 rounds. However when loaded with 11 rounds and with a much better grip the gun is heavier and much better balanced, thus the accuracy.

I believe that not only is the gun top heavy but it is internally unbalanced which affects the recoil direction. As most my wild shots were low and left I surmise that that's the way the gun moves upon recoiling. No adjustment of my grip seemed to help. Happily the 10 round extended mag did the job.

When I do carry I still use the 6 round magazine as the 10 rounder isn't very concealable. And as my 'wild' shots were still in the kill zone I don't worry about accuracy. Hope this info helps anyone considering a Glock 42.
I had the 42. Put in a heavy tungsten guide rod in it with a lighter spring. Improved.

Get some good solvent and bore brush the hell out of your bore after every trip to the range.

Nobody believes lapping a pistol barrel is necessary, but I disagree.

Also, if you're used to s full sized pistol, that smaller frame might take some getting used to.

Get some good solvent and bore brush the hell out of your bore after every trip to the range.

Nobody believes lapping a pistol barrel is necessary, but I disagree.

Also, if you're used to s full sized pistol, that smaller frame might take some getting used to.
The trigger really awkward for my rather long fingers.

The trigger really awkward for my rather long fingers.
One other thing I've heard people refer to is the grip angle on Glocks compared to the grip angle on most other sidearms. For example a 1911 has an 18 degree angle, Glocks have a 22 degree angle. If you're used to shooting one with a different angle then go to a Glock it's going to throw your aim off untill you get used to the Glock angle. That's pretty much all I know about Glocks, I don't like the ergonomics so I don't own one.

One other thing I've heard people refer to is the grip angle on Glocks compared to the grip angle on most other sidearms. For example a 1911 has an 18 degree angle, Glocks have a 22 degree angle. If you're used to shooting one with a different angle then go to a Glock it's going to throw your aim off untill you get used to the Glock angle. That's pretty much all I know about Glocks, I don't like the ergonomics so I don't own one.
I searched the problem and found that if not held properly Glocks shoot to the left. I followed the advice but it didn't help. Only by increasing the weight and improving the balance by the use of the extended magazine helped.

I don't shoot pistols much and only have one other, an old Hi Standard 9-shot .22 revolver (that 'spits' from the side of the cylinder) that is much more accurate than my Glock due to its longer barrel. The grip is way too small for my hands but I make do.

My gun of choice for target shooting is my Ruger 10/22 w/Sporter stock/ Leopold 2X6 .22 scope. Love this gun (I'm a traditionalist with both guns and bows. The 'techy' looking weapons don't appeal to me).
Ruger 1022.JPG

Last edited:
I searched the problem and found that if not held properly Glocks shoot to the left. I followed the advice but it didn't help. Only by increasing the weight and improving the balance by the use of the extended magazine helped.

I don't shoot pistols much and only have one other, an old Hi Standard 9-shot .22 revolver (that 'spits' from the side of the cylinder) that is much more accurate than my Glock due to its longer barrel. The grip is way too small for my hands but I make do.

My gun of choice for target shooting is my Ruger 10/22 w/Sporter stock/ Leopold 2X6 .22 scope. Love this gun (I'm a traditionalist with both guns and bows. The 'techy' looking weapons don't appeal to me). View attachment 611508
My 2 cents, take the Glock in and trade it on a better gun like the Ruger LCP (pocket .380), a M&P Shield or........... wait for it........... The Taurus G2C or G3C. Yeah he said Taurus....... Those two are excellent guns despite the long, gritty trigger.

My 2 cents, take the Glock in and trade it on a better gun like the Ruger LCP (pocket .380), a M&P Shield or........... wait for it........... The Taurus G2C or G3C. Yeah he said Taurus....... Those two are excellent guns despite the long, gritty trigger.
oh and if you like the classic 1911 style you can't go wrong with the RIA Baby Rock in .380.

iu

But why..? Why .380? It's the same size as its counterpart 9mm. Why give up the extra, for the same size package?

Thats weird.
I can easily hit a four inch AR500 target at 50ft. with my little .380 Ruger LCP
7CA557E3-D089-4CEB-AAC4-D206796A42E0_1_201_a.jpeg

Because he wants to........... He did mention "manageable recoil". It's possible he finds small 9mils to be too snappy, a lot of people do.
I got the Ruger for the wife to carry in Her purse.
I borrow it when we go fishing because it easily fits into my small tackle box I use on Lake palmer just in case one of these get a little frisky....

8A7351F8-BC38-4214-8F81-5D17A069F73C.jpeg

38AD6682-6CE3-48A7-A76D-8DE5E9F358AB.jpeg

They're excellent little guns but just too small for my huge hands. My pocket gun is my Polish P64 in 9x18, snappy but extremely accurate. I joke that one could shoot it straight up in the air and still hit the target in front of them....... :)

The extended mag helps a lot but yeah it is small and I definitely cant get all my fingers on it.

I always found a .380 to be too small for my hands

I'm just much more comfortable with my Glock 19 and don't find it too hard to carry concealed.
The .380 sub compacts are definitely small, the Glock 19 is a compact though at the high end compact size. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with what anyone chooses to own and possibly carry, we all have our favorites. If someone wants to carry a Desert Eagle or a .22LR/.22Mag that's their business, I don't argue that with them.

The .380 sub compacts are definitely small, the Glock 19 is a compact though at the high end compact size. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with what anyone chooses to own and possibly carry, we all have our favorites. If someone wants to carry a Desert Eagle or a .22LR/.22Mag that's their business, I don't argue that with them.
Not knocking a .380.

If it was more comfortable in my hands I'd own one.

I just have big paws

Forum List

Back