New studies showing Right to Carry Laws create more gun crime are wrong....anti-gun extremists lie....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This is a look at why recent studies, done by anti-gun extremists, claim to show Right to Carry laws increase gun crime.....

The reason, as exposed in this paper, is the anti-gun extremists lie......this is not unusual....

The anti-gun extremists compare newly adopting states to states that have had Right to Carry for a long time...which skews the results in their favor.....

Table 4 reveals that early adopting states have experienced significantly lower murder rates than those states, primarily the eight may-issue states, that did not adopt RTC laws. Late adopting states with serious restrictions on permit issuance have apparently also experienced some reduction in murder rates, but the estimated coefficient is not significantly different from zero. Constitutional carry states, allowing the concealed carrying of handguns with no permit requirements, have experienced even larger declines in murder rates.
----------

We suggest that these recent studies, which do not use all the available data, are seriously compromised because they compare states that only recently have adopted right-to-carry laws with states that have had these laws for many years, instead of comparing against states with more restrictive laws. Early adopting states experienced relatively large reductions in crime corresponding to large increases in the number of right-to-carry permits. Late adopting states passed rules making it difficult to obtain permits and exercise the right to carry concealed weapons. Ignoring the fact that these late adopting states with stricter rules on obtaining permits issue relatively few permits can produce perverse results where coefficients imply an increase in crime even though the opposite is true. We demonstrate this effect with a simple statistical test.
-----

Consider two neighboring states: Illinois and Indiana. Given that the total costs of obtaining a permit is $400 to $450 in Illinois and is $12.95 in Indiana, it is not surprising that in 2000 Illinois had 3.4% of the population holding permits while Indiana had 20% (Crime Prevention Research Center, 2020), with a correspondingly lower overall violent crime rate and lower murder rate.1 Illinois has other restrictions that make it difficult for the poor to get a permit, such as not allowing any training facilities in Chicago and banning permitted concealed handguns on public transportation. The costs of obtaining a permit affect the number of people who get permits as well as the mix. Lower costs imply that poor people who live in high-crime urban neighborhoods are more likely to get a permit. In that case, one might expect a greater reduction in crime because criminals would be more likely to encounter potential victims who are able to defend
themselves. This is another factor that tends to raise crime rates in the late-adopting states relative to all the other states.

This is a look at why recent studies, done by anti-gun extremists, claim to show Right to Carry laws increase gun crime.....

The reason, as exposed in this paper, is the anti-gun extremists lie......this is not unusual....

The anti-gun extremists compare newly adopting states to states that have had Right to Carry for a long time...which skews the results in their favor.....

Table 4 reveals that early adopting states have experienced significantly lower murder rates than those states, primarily the eight may-issue states, that did not adopt RTC laws. Late adopting states with serious restrictions on permit issuance have apparently also experienced some reduction in murder rates, but the estimated coefficient is not significantly different from zero. Constitutional carry states, allowing the concealed carrying of handguns with no permit requirements, have experienced even larger declines in murder rates.
----------

We suggest that these recent studies, which do not use all the available data, are seriously compromised because they compare states that only recently have adopted right-to-carry laws with states that have had these laws for many years, instead of comparing against states with more restrictive laws. Early adopting states experienced relatively large reductions in crime corresponding to large increases in the number of right-to-carry permits. Late adopting states passed rules making it difficult to obtain permits and exercise the right to carry concealed weapons. Ignoring the fact that these late adopting states with stricter rules on obtaining permits issue relatively few permits can produce perverse results where coefficients imply an increase in crime even though the opposite is true. We demonstrate this effect with a simple statistical test.
-----

Consider two neighboring states: Illinois and Indiana. Given that the total costs of obtaining a permit is $400 to $450 in Illinois and is $12.95 in Indiana, it is not surprising that in 2000 Illinois had 3.4% of the population holding permits while Indiana had 20% (Crime Prevention Research Center, 2020), with a correspondingly lower overall violent crime rate and lower murder rate.1 Illinois has other restrictions that make it difficult for the poor to get a permit, such as not allowing any training facilities in Chicago and banning permitted concealed handguns on public transportation. The costs of obtaining a permit affect the number of people who get permits as well as the mix. Lower costs imply that poor people who live in high-crime urban neighborhoods are more likely to get a permit. In that case, one might expect a greater reduction in crime because criminals would be more likely to encounter potential victims who are able to defend
themselves. This is another factor that tends to raise crime rates in the late-adopting states relative to all the other states.

Here is another situation, like the vaccine, I want to apologize to you guys on this one. We need to be more armed just in case. Shit happens no matter what. Common sense gun laws sure but I’m definitely pro gun now.

I just loaded all three magazines. 1911 45. I pulled back and loaded it, then put one more in that mag so I am fully loaded. I think I have a 7, 8 and 10 round mags something like that. So about 26 shots between all three mags and one in the chamber. It’s not easy reloading those mags.

I should load my 450 bushmaster too. Thats 4 shots before I have to reload. I’d use that as my sniper weapon.

When I drop my 45 and surrender, I have a 5 shot 22 daringer fits in the palm of my hand. With a belt on the enemy wouldn’t even feel it when they frisked me. 5 22 hollow point shots hopefully I would take out five guards at close range and take their weapons.

I would use my crossbow to hunt. Quiet.

My 410 shotgun for bird and small game.

Forum List

Back