Global Warming

ReinyDays

Silver Member
Reaction score
The stone age did not end because we ran out of stones. It ended because something better came along.
HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ... Good Lord Almighty that's funny ...

Welcome to the USMB ... thank you for signing up ... we need folk like you around here ... enjoyed the movie too, though I understand why some don't like it ... I thought it was delightful and a refreshing take on death ... wouldn't it be nice if we could do that ... but this was before my mother passed, so maybe not such a good idea ...

=====

How many new reserves will we discover in 30-40 years?

Do you mean "easy and cheap to extract" oil? ... that's all been found, and we've been pumping it as fast as we can for the entire 20th Century ... Spindletop has gone dry as far as I know ... the natural gas that came up with the oil was so worthless we simply vented it and set it afire ...

There's more reserves deeper down, that's true ... and we'll discover them, it's not hard ... the expensive part is drilling down that far and pumping it up ... 300 million years of plate tectonics can drive oil pockets deep into the Earth ...

Using simple supply and demand ... when we have increasing demand, and decreasing supply, prices go up ... the better question is when will we run out of cheap fossil fuels and have to start burning not-so-cheap fossil fuels ... when will we start burning this-shit-is-getting-expense fossil fuels? ...

When will fossil fuels be too expensive to just burn, and everything else we make from fossil fuels get to be damned expensive? ...

CONSERVATION ... I know it's a filthy word on both sides of the debate ... so sue me ...

OP
N

Newtonian

VIP Member
Reaction score
WATCHTOWER.ORG is a Jehovah Witness publication...

I think I am seeing the link (or lack there of) to critical thinking skills.

I wasnt aware that Gretta was a JW.
Me neither. I was referring to the scientific evidence, such as that from the IPCC, for global warming which she had reference to.

You have our website wrong - it is:

www.jw.org

I think you are having trouble reading the URL's of the links I posted.

OP
N

Newtonian

VIP Member
Reaction score
... I never posted global warming in earth's main problem ...
Yes ... you did ... post #57 ... you very explicitly said loss of biodiversity these past 100 years will be caused by global warming over the next 100 years ...

You posted a list of 37 things caused by climate change, now you're saying you didn't post that ... see how foolish you sound? ...

... or are you just apeing a teen-age little girl? ...
You misrepresented what I posted- which was and is correct. Try reading my post more carefully. If you check out our website you will find global warming is NOT the primary problem mankind and our planet are facing. See my thread on the ways man is ruining the earth.

Just because global warming is a real threat does not mean it is the primary threat. See our article on greening the Amazon forest here:

"LDURING the 1990’s, the world annually lost millions of acres of natural forests, reported the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization. In Brazil’s Amazon region alone, whirring chain saws and crackling fires have already turned a tract of rain forest larger than Germany into a mere pasture. Instead of a seamless landscape of treetops, the forest canopy is now broken by stretches of cracked clay thinly covered with weeds and exposed stumps baking under the sun.

Although this ongoing forest destruction is disturbing, there are glimmers of hope. One promising program has already yielded some results. It is called agroforestry, and one source describes it as “a system in which cultivation of trees is combined with field crops or pasture in an ecologically . . . sustainable manner.” How does agroforestry work? What has it accomplished? What prospects might it hold for the future? To find out, Awake! visited the National Institute for Research in the Amazon (INPA) in Manaus, the capital of Brazil’s Amazonas State"

Note that while our article notes the problem of deforestation, it also notes solutions being implemented. See the article for details. Notice that we do not say global warming is the primary cause of deforestation of the Amazon rainforest. Instead, we note:

"Granted, small farmers are not the main cause of the Amazon’s forest destruction. Large cattle ranches, big agribusinesses, mining and logging industries, and hydroelectric dam construction projects have done most of the damage. Even so, the influx of small farmers and the slash-and-burn method of farming that they practice have contributed to forest destruction."

So, what solutions does the article report on? See the article!

OP
N

Newtonian

VIP Member
Reaction score
The stone age did not end because we ran out of stones. It ended because something better came along.

Welcome to the USMB ... thank you for signing up ... we need folk like you around here ... enjoyed the movie too, though I understand why some don't like it ... I thought it was delightful and a refreshing take on death ... wouldn't it be nice if we could do that ... but this was before my mother passed, so maybe not such a good idea ...

=====

Do you mean "easy and cheap to extract" oil? ... that's all been found, and we've been pumping it as fast as we can for the entire 20th Century ... Spindletop has gone dry as far as I know ... the natural gas that came up with the oil was so worthless we simply vented it and set it afire ...

There's more reserves deeper down, that's true ... and we'll discover them, it's not hard ... the expensive part is drilling down that far and pumping it up ... 300 million years of plate tectonics can drive oil pockets deep into the Earth ...

Using simple supply and demand ... when we have increasing demand, and decreasing supply, prices go up ... the better question is when will we run out of cheap fossil fuels and have to start burning not-so-cheap fossil fuels ... when will we start burning this-shit-is-getting-expense fossil fuels? ...

When will fossil fuels be too expensive to just burn, and everything else we make from fossil fuels get to be damned expensive? ...
zeal
CONSERVATION ... I know it's a filthy word on both sides of the debate ... so sue me ...
We agree conservation is very important. As in the above article on the Amazon rainforest. LIkewise the following article on saving species from extinction in New Zealand here:

"Already many species have been completely lost: birds, more than 40; frogs, 3; bats, 1; and lizards, at least 3—as well as numerous insect species. More than half the 5,819 native plants and animals of New Zealand are classified as at risk, making the country’s wildlife among the most threatened on the planet....

One of the restored islands is Tiritiri Matangi, off the coast of Auckland’s Whangaparaoa Peninsula. Cleared of rats in 1993 and replanted with some 280,000 native trees, the area is now a controlled open sanctuary where visitors can listen to and see native bird species that have been reintroduced, including the rare saddleback, takahe, kokako, rifleman, and stitchbird. Thriving in a predator-free environment, these beautiful creatures often allow visitors to enjoy a close-up view.

In 2003, sub-Antarctic Campbell Island was declared rat free after a two-year program of eradication. Since then, native flora are recovering and seabirds are returning. Even the Campbell Island teal—a rare species of duck—has been reintroduced.....

These examples show what can be done to restore threatened species and address the shortsighted environmental mistakes of the past. Lovers of the natural world everywhere can especially look forward to the Bible’s promise that Jehovah God, “the Maker of heaven and earth,” will put an end to the harmful practices that threaten the natural world, including its wildlife.—Psalm 115:15; Revelation 21:5."

Notice the article does not mention global warming. This is because we realize that although global warming is real and is a threat - there are more serious ways man is ruining the earth.

Drop Dead Fred

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wow. Of course, that means your functionally out of peanuts quite some time prior. When it costs a few thousands dollars to locate and extract each barrel of oil, no one is going to be burning it in their 400 hp V-8s to haul 2 tons of Detroit iron around the countryside.
Exactly!

Like I said, scarcity leads to higher prices, which leads to conservation, substitution, and innovation.

Drop Dead Fred

Gold Member
Reaction score

=====

Thanks.

Of course it's not oil per se that we want. It's the energy that comes form oil that we want. And there are lots of other ways to get energy.

We used to use whale oil. But we stopped, and switched to better things.

watchingfromafar

Silver Member
Reaction score
The stone age did not end because we ran out of stones. It ended because something better came along.[/QUOTE]

sOME THINGS JUST NEED REPEATING--

The stone age did not end because we ran out of stones. It ended because something better came along.[/QUOTE]

sOME THINGS JUST NEED REPEATING-

uNTIL IT IS HEARD :)-

watchingfromafar

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here know what chemicals humans get out of a barrel of oil?

just curious
:)-

Barrel - Copy.png

Last edited:

Toddsterpatriot

Diamond Member
Reaction score
sOME THINGS JUST NEED REPEATING--

sOME THINGS JUST NEED REPEATING-

uNTIL IT IS HEARD :)-
[/QUOTE]

Or you could answer the question.....why won't any new reserves be discovered?

ReinyDays

Silver Member
Reaction score
We used to use whale oil. But we stopped, and switched to better things.
Whales is what got us into this mess ... it always surprises me to think the largest animal to have ever lived on Earth ... the Blue Whale ... consumes the very smallest ... phytoplankton ... and extremely large amounts of phytoplankton I must say ... just a reminder, phytoplankton are at the base of the food chain, it's these guys who convert CO2 into food ... so as soon as the whaling ban went into effect, and whale numbers increased, this is when all our CO2 problems began ... so whales are the problem ...

NUKE THE WHALES !!! ...

watchingfromafar

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is irrelevant whether we find a postponement, the fact is fossil fuels are finite. Having said that; while I pray to God that He helps lead us to an ultimate solution there is no guaranty that we will comply with His wishes.

It is After all "the" one gift He gave us, the gift to choose.

Trump was a poorly choice in my view of things

watchingfromafar

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah ... crude oil is useful stuff ... plastics and fertilizer ... where would we be without those? ... seems a shame to be foolishly burning it ...
It is inevitable. If you are near or under the age of 65 today, you will see this unfold in Realtime.

Not sure if I will still be here.

watchingfromafar

Silver Member
Reaction score
... just a reminder, phytoplankton are at the base of the food chain, it's these guys who convert CO2 into food ... so as soon as the whaling ban went into effect, and whale numbers increased, this is when all our CO2 problems began ... so whales are the problem ...
Animals including humans breath "in" oxygen 02 and exhale CO2
.,,..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,.,.,..,.,.,.,.,.,.,..Plants breath "in" CO2 and exhale 02
food for thought
the cycle of life

ReinyDays

Silver Member
Reaction score
Animals including humans breath "in" oxygen 02 and exhale CO2
.,,..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,.,.,..,.,.,.,.,.,.,..Plants breath "in" CO2 and exhale 02
food for thought
the cycle of life
Actually ... plants respirate too, it's not just for animals anymore ... we're trying to be fair about this ...

Drop Dead Fred

Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here know what chemicals humans get out of a barrel of oil?

just curious

View attachment 347753

We can actually manufacture oil from garbage. The process is called "thermal depolymerization."

This 2003 article from Discover magazine is called "Anything to Oil."

The biggest flaw with the article is the price that was stated. They said it could be done for $15 per barrel. That turned out to be way, way wrong. It can be done, it just costs a lot more. I'm not sure what the current cost it. If the long term price of oil ever becomes high enough, this process could become profitable.

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List