Gay ‘cure’ therapy outlawed in Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't "protecting kids". It's denying people access to treatment. It is taking away their choice.
I tend to agree with not liking the govt prohibiting people from seeking their choice of treatment, I will, however, draw the line with children. With children you'd have to prove to me that there is no harm and thus far the consensus is that such "treatments" aren't even remotely harmless. The threat of harm to the child versus the benefit to, I'm guessing the parents, iIs just too much, IMHO.
I'm curious. How would you have it proven to you that the treatments aren't harmless? What if failure to offer such treatment is the greater harm? Concern for children is all very well but unless there is actual proof (we have not seen any) that these treatments are harmful it is up to the parents.

You mention a "consensus" that the treatments are not harmless- specifically who/what has made that determination?
Strangely enough, I have a bit of history with the gay community. My older brother was gay and was an early victim of the Aids epidemic. Between my brother coming out in 1985 and the subsequent loss of him, I've paid a lot of attention to the subject. I'm by no means a psychology professional but I have yet to see any evidence that being gay is a defect. The "nature vs nurture" argument continues but I have never seen any evidence that suggests any form of therapy can change anything. The harm aspect is self evident, especially for a child. The simple fact that who they are is worthy of intervention can't be good.

The same argument could be made for almost any ‘condition’ a child may have. Children with ADHD or autism to name a couple may not have a clue of their condition. It’s the responsibility of parents to address these conditions....no good parent waits for their child to say....”I need to see a doctor”...that’s just plain crazy.

Gay 'cure' therapy outlawed in Hawaii

The Governor of Hawaii has signed a law outlawing gay ‘cure’ therapy for minors.

The US state has become the latest to outlaw the use of so-called conversion therapy to attempt to change the sexuality of minors.

Performing gay ‘cure’ therapy on minors is already is illegal in 11 US states and counting, as well as Switzerland, Malta, Taiwan, two Canadian provinces, and the Australian state of Victoria.

Experts overwhelmingly agree that attempts to cure sexuality are futile, misguided, and often extremely harmful. Attempts to force teens to repress their sexuality has been linked to depression, self-harm and even suicide.

More good news but there is still a long way to go in protecting kids.

The muslims already have a sure fire cure.

This isn't "protecting kids". It's denying people access to treatment. It is taking away their choice.
Horseshit! Conversion therapy is child abuse. They are shamed, coerced and brain washed into believing that being gay is a disease and that they need to be , and can be cured. To believe otherwise is beyond stupid!
That is your opinion. Some people believe that aversion therapy to cure someone of fear of heights is abusive. That is opinion too. Meanwhile, those who wish to undergo that or any therapy should be permitted to do so. Your feeeelings on other people's business are not a factor.
It is not just my opinion. It is supported by science. All of the credible mental health organization have concluded that it is dangerous pseudoscience that endangers children who are impressionable and easily coerced. Why do you think that many states are banning it? What the fuck is wrong with you .? We are talking about children!
Science, eh? Psychology is an elastic science. How does this therapy endanger children? Helping them identify their sexual identity, perhaps? You aren't talking science or "credible mental health organization's" consensus, you are talking about your OPINION that when a person has the tiniest inkling that they are gay they should be ENCOURAGED to be gay. Not everybody wants to go that way.

Willful ignorance! Have you looked at any of the scientific evidence? I don't think so. No one is encouraging children to be gay. That is as stupid as stupid gets. It's about giving children permission to be who they feel that they are without shame and condemnation so that the will not become self destructive and even kill themselves. Look at this and try to learn something if you can,

#BornPerfect: The Facts About Conversion Therapy

In the past some mental health professionals resorted to extreme measures such as institutionalization, castration, and electroconvulsive shock therapy to try to stop people from being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT). Today, while some counselors still use physical treatments like aversive conditioning, the techniques most commonly used include a variety of behavioral, cognitive, psychoanalytic, and other practices that try to change or reduce same-sex attraction or alter a person’s gender identity. While these contemporary versions of conversion therapy are less shocking and extreme than some of those more frequently used in the past, they are equally devoid of scientific validity and pose serious dangers to patients—especially to minors, who are often forced to undergo them by their parents or legal guardians, and who are at especially high risk of being harmed.

According to a 2009 report of the American Psychological Association, the techniques therapists have used to try to change sexual orientation and gender identity include inducing nausea, vomiting, or paralysis while showing the patient homoerotic images; providing electric shocks; having the individual snap an elastic band around the wrist when aroused by same-sex erotic images or thoughts; using shame to create aversion to same-sex attractions; orgasmic reconditioning; and satiation therapy. Other techniques include trying to make patients’ behavior more stereotypically feminine or masculine, teaching heterosexual dating skills, using hypnosis to try to redirect desires and arousal, and other techniques—all based on the scientifically discredited premise that being LGBT is a defect or disorder.

Anyone who thinks that this is not cruelty to children or anyone else is either stupid or a sadist. Which are you?
I've seen the links. You are unwilling to consider that children or anyone else may want to take therapy to learn to deal with/not act upon their sexual attraction. You ASSUME that the therapy is anti gay. You are unable to accept that not everybody wants to celebrate their same sex attraction. That is their choice. It is unkind and intolerant to expect them to act out their sexual attraction that way YOU think they should.

The Governor of Hawaii has signed a law outlawing gay ‘cure’ therapy for minors.

The US state has become the latest to outlaw the use of so-called conversion therapy to attempt to change the sexuality of minors.

Performing gay ‘cure’ therapy on minors is already is illegal in 11 US states and counting, as well as Switzerland, Malta, Taiwan, two Canadian provinces, and the Australian state of Victoria.

Experts overwhelmingly agree that attempts to cure sexuality are futile, misguided, and often extremely harmful. Attempts to force teens to repress their sexuality has been linked to depression, self-harm and even suicide.
py

Ah totalitarian leftists dictating how parents get to raise their children. No surprise here.

This "therapy" should only be among adults. No involving kids with parents of questionable backgrounds and beliefs. Children are not in a position to choose their parents. Only a pig would submit his/her child to this.
Its not up to YOU,ME OR THE GOVERNMENT to dictate what medical treatment and therapy another parents child gets. This kind of shit is why people HATE democrats.

Horseshit! Conversion therapy is child abuse. They are shamed, coerced and brain washed into believing that being gay is a disease and that they need to be , and can be cured. To believe otherwise is beyond stupid!
That is your opinion. Some people believe that aversion therapy to cure someone of fear of heights is abusive. That is opinion too. Meanwhile, those who wish to undergo that or any therapy should be permitted to do so. Your feeeelings on other people's business are not a factor.
It is not just my opinion. It is supported by science. All of the credible mental health organization have concluded that it is dangerous pseudoscience that endangers children who are impressionable and easily coerced. Why do you think that many states are banning it? What the fuck is wrong with you .? We are talking about children!
Science, eh? Psychology is an elastic science. How does this therapy endanger children? Helping them identify their sexual identity, perhaps? You aren't talking science or "credible mental health organization's" consensus, you are talking about your OPINION that when a person has the tiniest inkling that they are gay they should be ENCOURAGED to be gay. Not everybody wants to go that way.

Willful ignorance! Have you looked at any of the scientific evidence? I don't think so. No one is encouraging children to be gay. That is as stupid as stupid gets. It's about giving children permission to be who they feel that they are without shame and condemnation so that the will not become self destructive and even kill themselves. Look at this and try to learn something if you can,

In the past some mental health professionals resorted to extreme measures such as institutionalization, castration, and electroconvulsive shock therapy to try to stop people from being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT). Today, while some counselors still use physical treatments like aversive conditioning, the techniques most commonly used include a variety of behavioral, cognitive, psychoanalytic, and other practices that try to change or reduce same-sex attraction or alter a person’s gender identity. While these contemporary versions of conversion therapy are less shocking and extreme than some of those more frequently used in the past, they are equally devoid of scientific validity and pose serious dangers to patients—especially to minors, who are often forced to undergo them by their parents or legal guardians, and who are at especially high risk of being harmed.

According to a 2009 report of the American Psychological Association, the techniques therapists have used to try to change sexual orientation and gender identity include inducing nausea, vomiting, or paralysis while showing the patient homoerotic images; providing electric shocks; having the individual snap an elastic band around the wrist when aroused by same-sex erotic images or thoughts; using shame to create aversion to same-sex attractions; orgasmic reconditioning; and satiation therapy. Other techniques include trying to make patients’ behavior more stereotypically feminine or masculine, teaching heterosexual dating skills, using hypnosis to try to redirect desires and arousal, and other techniques—all based on the scientifically discredited premise that being LGBT is a defect or disorder.

Anyone who thinks that this is not cruelty to children or anyone else is either stupid or a sadist. Which are you?

Haha...when I told my children not to eat dog shit as toddlers they thought I was “shaming” them....SO FUCKING WHAT!
Good parents may sometimes “shame” their children into acting right....it’s just part of the deal in being an engaged, disciplined parent.
Of three, I have one USC grad, honors with distinction, one attending USC on the Deans list and one 4.3 student poised to attend USC in a few years....guess I’m doing it all wrong.
Libbies are certain that negative feelings are extremely destructive and Always caused by someone else.
The truth is coping with those feelings and focusing instead on facts is merely part of the maturation process, Libs can’t do it so they never grow up and when “their” President doesn’t win they melt down into a feelings frenzy of Russians caused it

Last edited:

Haha...when I told my children not to eat dog shit as toddlers they thought I was “shaming” them....SO FUCKING WHAT!
Good parents may sometimes “shame” their children into acting right....it’s just part of the deal in being an engaged, disciplined parent.
Of three, I have one USC grad, honors with distinction, one attending USC on the Deans list and one 4.3 student poised to attend USC in a few years....guess I’m doing it all wrong.
Libbies are certain that negative feelings are extremely destructive and Always caused by someone else.
The truth is coping with those feelings and focusing instead on facts is merely part of the maturation process, Libs can’t do it so they never grow up and when “their” President doesn’t win they melt down into a feelings frenzy of Russians caused it

The LefTard mind and how it functions (or doesn’t) is becoming increasingly fascinating with each day that passes.
I’m thoroughly convinced ALL were abused as children, all have extreme daddy issues and most were dropped on their heads many times. There really is no other explanation for the insanity.

Oh, you mean like forcing a young woman to bear a child as a result of a rape? You mean those types of laws that are tested at the polls in a bunch of Red States?
Same sex rape does not result in pregnancy. You might benefit from some therapy, or at least some basic education. LOL
Same sex rape does not result in pregnancy. You might benefit from some therapy, or at least some basic education.
So how the fuck does a young woman get pregnant from a same sex rape, asswipe? You're pathetic attempt to get attention FAILED!

Do you really think playing stupid boosts your IQ or gives you a woody? The therapy indicated for you is a course of reading comprehension and a high, high colonic to clear you cranial passages, shit head!
Nice try, angry little leftist. You brought up rape and Red states.. It has nothing to do with the topic. You have nothing to say so you flail around tossing out insults.

Mind your own ass wipe.
Nice try, angry little leftist.
To supplant your ignorance with some facts, I'm an Indie & conservative who left the GOP behind in Aug 1974 when Nixon resigned. I had even been a card carrying Young Republican! Do you get all of your exercise jumping to conclusions, shit-for-brains?
You brought up rape and Red states.
Yes I did, as a contrast to your unthinking/ignorant post #3 with these comments;
Being as educationally challenged as you appear to be, you failed to recognize the contrast between your post claiming the access to "treatment" being denied to "kill the gay" in a Blue State and the direct parallel of a pregnant young woman who had been raped being refused the procedure to terminate her pregnancy being pushed in predominately Red States. No stretch there at all for someone with only an average IQ! But you got really stupid and showed your acute lack of critical thinking when you responded with;
Same sex rape does not result in pregnancy. You might benefit from some therapy, or at least some basic education.
It's obvious that same sex rape can't produce offspring, but you used that as a through away to dodge the question in contrast that is troubling to hypocrites desiring to have it both ways and subjugate the "unwashed" to their will.
It has nothing to do with the topic.
That is a coward's claim when all else fails whether true or not...in this case certainly NOT. You just don't want to admit error or your stupidity...a lump of coal for you! You be the one drifting into the ozone, fool, and methinks the whiny bitch protests too much!

And why, dearie, do you even bring this up? Good news? How so? Gays are a tiny fraction of a ghost of a small afterthought, WHY do they get this MUCH attention from you? And we spend so much time justifying these jackasses. They can afford all the best legal representation, and that doesn't mean they either deserve special treatment or need it. They can afford it. Poor little rich sexual dysfunctional kiddoes, how sad for them.

py

Ah totalitarian leftists dictating how parents get to raise their children. No surprise here.

This "therapy" should only be among adults. No involving kids with parents of questionable backgrounds and beliefs. Children are not in a position to choose their parents. Only a pig would submit his/her child to this.
Its not up to YOU,ME OR THE GOVERNMENT to dictate what medical treatment and therapy another parents child gets. This kind of shit is why people HATE democrats.

So you will allow people to submit children to whatever torture the parents think they want? This practice was created by fundies to torture their children into compliance. Adults only!

Subjecting one’s child to harmful charlatanism is not a ‘choice’ available to parents; parents don’t have a ‘right’ to engage in child abuse or neglect.

Indeed, homosexuality is not a ‘mental illness,’ no ethical, credible psychologist or psychiatrist would have such a ‘cure’ as part of his practice because there is no disorder to ‘treat.’

Consequently, the notion that anyone is being ‘denied’ a ‘choice’ is as ignorant as it is wrong.

I am probably alone in this, but I am just as opposed to gay conversion "therapy" before the age of consent as I am gender reassignment therapy before such an age.

ready to be shot by both sides, here.

I tend to agree with not liking the govt prohibiting people from seeking their choice of treatment, I will, however, draw the line with children. With children you'd have to prove to me that there is no harm and thus far the consensus is that such "treatments" aren't even remotely harmless. The threat of harm to the child versus the benefit to, I'm guessing the parents, iIs just too much, IMHO.
I'm curious. How would you have it proven to you that the treatments aren't harmless? What if failure to offer such treatment is the greater harm? Concern for children is all very well but unless there is actual proof (we have not seen any) that these treatments are harmful it is up to the parents.

You mention a "consensus" that the treatments are not harmless- specifically who/what has made that determination?
Strangely enough, I have a bit of history with the gay community. My older brother was gay and was an early victim of the Aids epidemic. Between my brother coming out in 1985 and the subsequent loss of him, I've paid a lot of attention to the subject. I'm by no means a psychology professional but I have yet to see any evidence that being gay is a defect. The "nature vs nurture" argument continues but I have never seen any evidence that suggests any form of therapy can change anything. The harm aspect is self evident, especially for a child. The simple fact that who they are is worthy of intervention can't be good.

The same argument could be made for almost any ‘condition’ a child may have. Children with ADHD or autism to name a couple may not have a clue of their condition. It’s the responsibility of parents to address these conditions....no good parent waits for their child to say....”I need to see a doctor”...that’s just plain crazy.
The question is, is gay a "condition". As in "something is wrong"? Autism, obviously. ADHD? Drug companies have a lot to answer for. Gay? Nothing in logical, empirical study suggests "there is something wrong". Not physiological, not psychological. The hippocratic oath, or if you will, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:

Pat Robertson is, if he hasn't already, worked up a talking point where he will blame the volcanic eruptions on this and say "see hell is coming right up out of the ground." And then he'll spend the rest of the 59 minutes in the hour asking for money.

Pat Robertson is, if he hasn't already, worked up a talking point where he will blame the volcanic eruptions on this and say "see hell is coming right up out of the ground." And then he'll spend the rest of the 59 minutes in the hour asking for money.
Don't laugh. People are already blaming the recent volcanoes on global warming. Wannna bet on what the media pick up on?

This shit needs to be banned and only someone like the guys below could freaking think they can experiment on innocent people.

GoringHitler-231x300.jpg

G%C3%B6ring960x640.jpg
You do know that using hitler or nazi is because you already lost the argument..dontcha? This one is worn out and you are not going to change anyones mind repeating it continually.

Oh, you mean like forcing a young woman to bear a child as a result of a rape? You mean those types of laws that are tested at the polls in a bunch of Red States?
Same sex rape does not result in pregnancy. You might benefit from some therapy, or at least some basic education. LOL
So how the fuck does a young woman get pregnant from a same sex rape, asswipe? You're pathetic attempt to get attention FAILED!

Do you really think playing stupid boosts your IQ or gives you a woody? The therapy indicated for you is a course of reading comprehension and a high, high colonic to clear you cranial passages, shit head!
Nice try, angry little leftist. You brought up rape and Red states.. It has nothing to do with the topic. You have nothing to say so you flail around tossing out insults.

Mind your own ass wipe.
Nice try, angry little leftist.
To supplant your ignorance with some facts, I'm an Indie & conservative who left the GOP behind in Aug 1974 when Nixon resigned. I had even been a card carrying Young Republican! Do you get all of your exercise jumping to conclusions, shit-for-brains?
You brought up rape and Red states.
Yes I did, as a contrast to your unthinking/ignorant post #3 with these comments;
Being as educationally challenged as you appear to be, you failed to recognize the contrast between your post claiming the access to "treatment" being denied to "kill the gay" in a Blue State and the direct parallel of a pregnant young woman who had been raped being refused the procedure to terminate her pregnancy being pushed in predominately Red States. No stretch there at all for someone with only an average IQ! But you got really stupid and showed your acute lack of critical thinking when you responded with;
It's obvious that same sex rape can't produce offspring, but you used that as a through away to dodge the question in contrast that is troubling to hypocrites desiring to have it both ways and subjugate the "unwashed" to their will.
It has nothing to do with the topic.
That is a coward's claim when all else fails whether true or not...in this case certainly NOT. You just don't want to admit error or your stupidity...a lump of coal for you! You be the one drifting into the ozone, fool, and methinks the whiny bitch protests too much!
Get over yourself.

I wonder if there is a treatment to fix hate filled homophobic bigots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back