Free Speech and Why It Matters

Skull

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2016
California
Andrew Doyle, also known as Tatiana McGrath on Twitter, reminds us of this keynote of civilization:

“History does not look fondly on the hubris of those who, like Galileo’s inquisitors, appoint themselves as arbiters of permissible speech and thought. Their authority is only ever contingent on the wisdom of their time. Today’s free speech sceptics are characterised by a similar tendency to mistake self-satisfaction for infallibility. If nothing else, the story of Galileo is a potent reminder of the importance of freedom of speech, and how none of us can ever be sure which heresies of today will become the certainties of tomorrow.
I start from the proposition that free speech is nothing less than the keystone of our civilisation”

Andrew Doyle, also known as Tatiana McGrath on Twitter, reminds us of this keynote of civilization:

“History does not look fondly on the hubris of those who, like Galileo’s inquisitors, appoint themselves as arbiters of permissible speech and thought. Their authority is only ever contingent on the wisdom of their time. Today’s free speech sceptics are characterised by a similar tendency to mistake self-satisfaction for infallibility. If nothing else, the story of Galileo is a potent reminder of the importance of freedom of speech, and how none of us can ever be sure which heresies of today will become the certainties of tomorrow.
I start from the proposition that free speech is nothing less than the keystone of our civilisation”
I think civilization has a vested interest in making sure that perpetrators of fraud don’t prosper. Hiding behind free speech is a common tactic and exposing fraudulent arguments for what they are is important.

Last edited:
I think civilization has a vested interest in making sure that perpetrators of fraud don’t prosper. Hiding behind free speech is a common tactic and exposing fraudulent arguments for what they are is important.

For example, your Orange God is lying about the election being stolen.

So you're arguing that you rubes shouldn't be allowed to perpetuate these lies?

Free speech matters, but it also needs to be protected from those who will abuse it.

“History does not look fondly on the hubris of those who, like Galileo’s inquisitors, appoint themselves as arbiters of permissible speech and thought. Their authority is only ever contingent on the wisdom of their time. Today’s free speech sceptics are characterized by a similar tendency to mistake self-satisfaction for infallibility. If nothing else, the story of Galileo is a potent reminder of the importance of freedom of speech, and how none of us can ever be sure which heresies of today will become the certainties of tomorrow.
I start from the proposition that free speech is nothing less than the keystone of our civilization
Agree 100%.

I disagree with Conservatives on many issues. But Progressives are The Enemies of Freedom. They are worse.

Free speech matters, but it also needs to be protected from those who will abuse it.
Doyle is reminding us of the universal human rights from the Declaration of 1948 that was supported by virtually everyone then:

Article 18 Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion...
Article 19 Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference...

I second this. Some people only become more obnoxious once they are well aware enough of the fact that they get on other people's nerves.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. My only question is what is considered abuse? Of course, everyone will have a different answer/opinion.

Doyle is reminding us of the universal human rights from the Declaration of 1948 that was supported by virtually everyone then:

Article 18 Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion...
Article 19 Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference...

Sadly, we have pretty much blown those 2 Articles right out of the water in this country. The intimidation is outrageous IMHO.

For example, your Orange God is lying about the election being stolen.

So you're arguing that you rubes shouldn't be allowed to perpetuate these lies?
Jesus can’t even go 3 comments without mentioning Trump in a Free Speech thread. Get off his nuts

Abusive expression and speech and why it should be hushed and replaced with constructive criticism. I am skeptikal.

I guess Im starting to become partial to the manners of the 1950s. What a different world it would be.

Abusive speech really got its hold in the 70s in the USA and came into its prime in the 90s now its a finely crafted culture that needs to be stamped out. My opinion. You can grouch about all you want Im putting on the suit and hangin at the chill table thanx and fuuk you

Forum List

Back