Harvard writer: Free speech threatens liberalism and must be destroyed

Sad to see, but not surprising.

The American Left wants to be judge & jury regarding which opinions are "legitimate" and "acceptable". Imagine the narcissism it takes to create and enforce such arbitrary distinctions.

I think the OP is correct, they think that true freedom of expression is a threat and must be destroyed, or at least significantly controlled by a centralized authority.

So ironic, given the American Left once believed in individualism, freedom of expression and fighting authority. How far they have fallen.

The decay continues.

We also believe in equality, like being able to shop in the same stores.

"Equality" in the hands of leftists is a sledgehammer against liberty. Ideological dissent and free association are the essence of liberty.
In the old days we had an expression for you, we'd say, Grow Up.

A lot of attention for a student's column in her school newspaper....

A lot of kids say dumb things that they regret later - I suspect this will be one of those

I suspect that she will grow up to be like this idiot.

Michigan Democrat Rep. Gary Peters threatens TV station licenses over Obamacare ad | WashingtonExaminer.com

Or this one.

Kerry calls climate change 'weapon of mass destruction' | Reuters

or maybe this idiot:
https://blackburn.house.gov/

Ain't it great. In America everyone is free to side with whatever radical position they choose. No matter how ignorant it is and SPEAK out in favor of it.

Yes, it is. It's a restriction of knowledge, in this case to protect Faith. You don't have to open your mouth to tell a lie. You don't have to burn a book to censor knowledge, and most people approve of restricting knowledge, if they don't like what it says.

The only people who approve of censorship are fascists. Most people are not fascists.
That is incorrect. Most people approve of censorship, if it serves their ideology.

But when you equate government censorship with the censorship of parental authority, you confound a vital distinction that goes to the essence of liberty.

Last edited:
The only people who approve of censorship are fascists. Most people are not fascists.
That is incorrect. Most people approve of censorship, if it serves their ideology.

But when you equate government censorship with the censorship of parental authority, you confound a vital distinction that goes to the essence of liberty.
Censorship is Censorship, and it has no business here.

Yes, it is. It's a restriction of knowledge, in this case to protect Faith. You don't have to open your mouth to tell a lie. You don't have to burn a book to censor knowledge, and most people approve of restricting knowledge, if they don't like what it says.

I do not believe 'most people approve of censorship.' However I have no way to proving my opinion. I can only say that America was founded on the individual liberty to voice any opinion without government intervention. I like to think that most Americans fully believe in the First Amendment. But, with decades of statist progressive thought having been programmed in many, I could be wrong.

It is apparent that many in our government, including Big Ears, does not believe in the First Amendment.

Do you subscribe to American Spectator? No? You're guilty of censorship. And you have no place here.
Dunce.

Interesting, very few comments by the lefties, and what's here is mostly spin and deflection.

Boy, I would LOVE to slip them some truth serum on this. I'd bet many of them would be THRILLED to see this kind of suppression happen in campuses from coast to coast, and then even further into our society.

They want to decide what is "legitimate" speech, and then enforce it. Incredible.

Give the kid credit, at least SHE is honest.

Do you subscribe to American Spectator? No? You're guilty of censorship. And you have no place here.
Dunce.
Not buying something is not the same as trying to keep others from reading it. Let the nonsense be posted far and wide, so we can laugh at it.

Interesting, very few comments by the lefties, and what's here is mostly spin and deflection.

Boy, I would LOVE to slip them some truth serum on this. I'd bet many of them would be THRILLED to see this kind of suppression happen in campuses from coast to coast, and then even further into our society.

They want to decide what is "legitimate" speech, and then enforce it. Incredible.

She's also wrong but she has a point, there is a whole lot of utter crap out there to sift through.

Yes as usual.
The first statement in the so called rebuttal was hate spewed.
It sets the tone to almost agree with everything she wrote.

Read her article and the OP , misses her overall point. She is basically saying not all opinions should be seen as a legit opinion.
Example. Obama not beimg a natural born citizen should not be respected with a dignified answer which would give said question an air of legitimacy.

Her point is correct, but she may be pushing it a little to far. Id need to read more opinions from her to get a good overall perspective.

Naturally the OP didnt understand her point and the dailycaller failed again.

I do not believe 'most people approve of censorship.' However I have no way to proving my opinion. I can only say that America was founded on the individual liberty to voice any opinion without government intervention. I like to think that most Americans fully believe in the First Amendment. But, with decades of statist progressive thought having been programmed in many, I could be wrong.

It is apparent that many in our government, including Big Ears, does not believe in the First Amendment.
They believe in keeping the place together. For that to happen compromises must be made.

I would love to see real honest peer review of economics and policy analysis. I think the idea of silencing people is the worst thing you could do. Let these morons speak and then expose their lies for what they are.

Christianity improved greatly with the Summa Theologica which helped establish what the various arguments were logically. That is what economics needs because so much of it has become a shouting match.

There are plenty of posters here who get called "lefty" all the time. Me for one. I don't agree with this kid at all ... but she has the right to say what she wants to. (Unless of course her policies are enacted. Then when the political pendulum swings in the other direction, she will be silenced.)

Dunce.
Not buying something is not the same as trying to keep others from reading it. Let the nonsense be posted far and wide, so we can laugh at it.

You're keeping it out of your house. According to you that's censorship. Fascist.

I would love to see real honest peer review of economics and policy analysis. I think the idea of silencing people is the worst thing you could do. Let these morons speak and then expose their lies for what they are.

Christianity improved greatly with the Summa Theologica which helped establish what the various arguments were logically. That is what economics needs because so much of it has become a shouting match.

You can say the same thing about most political issues.

When the political zealots can't win with logic, data, and honesty - they resort to slogans and slurs.

I sincerely wish the majority of folks would call out this crap for what it is.

The economics is pretty well established. What you see are pseudo-economists with an agenda writing total crap. Allen Blinder is one example. Paul Krugman another. These people need to be shot. I'll bet their colleagues are laughing at them.

Dunce.

You're keeping it out of your house. According to you that's censorship. Fascist.
Wrong again. I just ain't bringing it in. If it shows up I will probably read it. I read a lot of pure right-wing crap.

Wrong again. I just ain't bringing it in. If it shows up I will probably read it. I read a lot of pure right-wing crap.
So not bringing it in is different from keeping it out? Really? You expect anyone to believe that?

So not bringing it in is different from keeping it out? Really? You expect anyone to believe that?
You should, because it''s true, and will unless you are really, really stupid, which is likely I'd say based on your last three posts.

Forum List

Back