Found this baby turtle

Looks pretty healthy. They prefer live stuff. Might take the dried ones. But everything has to sized right for the little guy. So really small garden worms, or the tiny size mealworms. When mine first hatched I panicked at what it could eat, but I found some frozen bloodworms (really tiny) at the pet store and to this DAY -- it's still his favorite food.

I actually cook for mine. I know -- I'm nuts. I boil up some sliced carrots, kernel corn and then "folk strain" the carrots til they are mash. Mixed those with some SMALL kat kibble that has been soaked soft and top with minced greens !! Well smashed egg shells (little bits) are a good source of calcium for them.

My boxies are Ornates. They REALLY PREFER bugs. But in the warm season they'll eat the mash I make. And I've seen them eat entire romaine leafs in a day that I toss in their outdoor waterbowls.

Got an 8X4 screened top wood/stone enclosure that they spend every possible day outside.

This is what a female ornate looks like. She's got to be over 30 yrs old by now. Had her for over 25 years.

View attachment 630829

She' soooo cute!!! I was hoping it could just live on whatever it's been eating since it's still in it's natural environment. I'll be sure to add some garden worms and mealworms every so often.

I was planting flowers and found this baby turtle. I set up a safe area for it to hopefully survive until it's bigger or whatever. I looked up turtle identification and think it's a box turtle, but not sure.
So after making this turtle habitat I go back to check it an hour or so later and it had started to burry itself in the leaf mulch. I went back a few hours later and now can't find it. :sad: I hope it's just buried somewhere.
If it's still alive and I see it I'm going to make some kind of dome covering to keep it safer. I know nothing about turtles so any helpful suggestions will be appreciated.

It's habitat is outside. I used one of those raised garden kit things.

View attachment 630772

View attachment 630773
:) you might like this. Cute turtle you have there.

Is he still there? Maybe you should go get some turtle food on line. LOL I have a tiny pet frog in my basement.. and I bought him some food. Set him up a dish like a pond.. and two days later I creeped down and he was sleeping in the water. Just Thrilled I was...I cant catch him to let him outside. :hhello:

Is he still there? Maybe you should go get some turtle food on line. LOL I have a tiny pet frog in my basement.. and I bought him some food. Set him up a dish like a pond.. and two days later I creeped down and he was sleeping in the water. Just Thrilled I was...I cant catch him to let him outside. :hhello:

I had a bunch of toads that would hang out on my back porch at night.
Went to Bass Pro Shop and bought some live worms and I'd sit out on the porch and feed em the worms.
The biggest one was a little smaller than my fist and that thing could eat a dozen worms in one sitting.
The most shocking thing was how big of a turd these things shit out!!! They were thicker than my pinky finger!!!
0136042C-3041-4444-B344-D7E172CE3035_1_201_a.jpeg

View attachment 630824

Thanks for the information. I looked up information about water and it said they like to soak. I can add some of the gravel to make water shallower. Do you feed them live meal worms? I have dried ones for the birds. I'm planing on releasing it into the woods behind our house, which is probably where it came from, when it's a little bigger. It's habitat backs up to the woods so if it digs out it'll be far from the mowing area of yard. When I release it I'll probable just remove on side of habitat and let it find it's way out on it's own time.
Name that one Helen
fohelenthomasjpg.jpeg

Haven't seen my box turtles yet but they should be along soom enough. Still supposed to freeze tonight and then a lot warmer. Usually by the end of summer they see me and start walking to the cat food spot where I feed the ferals. I pretty much let them do as they please in the garden and such. If they eat a tomato, so be it.

Forum List

Back