Forget What You're Being Told. Here's the Real Reason for California's Trucker Shortage.

Several trucking companies won't let you be an O/O of a big rig if your truck is too old. Why? Because their name is on that freight and they need it delivered on time, every time. An old truck constantly breaking down and such is a drag on the companies bottom line.
That's true for company trucks but not so much for owner operators. Repair costs on lease trucks don't come out of the company's pocket.

What will this stupid electric truck Environmental Wacko edict really do?

1. The trucking companies in Commie Kalifornia will be forced to buy the stupid inefficient, high cost low distance electric trucks. The price of goods carried by the trucks will add to this Democrat inflation. A tax on the stupidity of electing Democrats.

2. Trucks will haul goods to the state borders in their stupid electric trucks and then transfer the goods to real trucks to be shipped elsewhere in the US. Running up the cost of transported goods even higher. More inflation.

3. The cost of electrical generation to charge up the stupid electric trucks will add another burden on the already stressed electric grid in Commie Kalifornia.

4. Because they can't get their goods out of port efficiently over time the suppliers will be looking for other ports in the US. Commie Kalifornia will lose jobs and tax revenue.

Democrats be the dumbest mutherfuckers on the face of the earth.

That's true for company trucks but not so much for owner operators. Repair costs on lease trucks don't come out of the company's pocket.

I never said they did, did you read what I wrote? I said an old O/O truck breaking down hurts their bottom line. I didn't say they had to repair the truck. It hurts their bottom line because the freight is delivered late and that hurts the company.

Upgrading infrastructure should include mass storage and mass transit.
Wait...so California truck regs are causing delays in GEORGIA?

Yea Georgia...

They have the same issues as California in Savannah. Know why?

Truckers retired early because of covid and truck driving schools were shut down for over a year

And oh yea...Imports are UP 22%

Greater demand

Less drivers

Fewer drivers being pumped into the system

I never said they did, did you read what I wrote? I said an old O/O truck breaking down hurts their bottom line. I didn't say they had to repair the truck. It hurts their bottom line because the freight is delivered late and that hurts the company.
Late deliveries don't hurt revenue generation too terribly bad.

Every major trucking company has similar or stricter requirements for trucks they own or lease. Down time and insurance cost makes older trucks too expensive to run. Almost all refineries and plants have similar requirements for trucks hauling to or from their facilities.
So you agree that the law is senseless and should be repealed.

I did repeated searches relating to semi-truck shortage in California. Could not find it, except for PJ Media, which is high traffic, low credibility site, so I don't buy it as a cause of the current problem getting containers off the docks and on the highway. Though, it might be, in the future.

I used to drive a truck, with license back to the Special Chauffeurs license predating the modern CDL, which I also held, as a hedge against driver shortage, where I managed transportation and logistics.

I wouldn't be too quick to put 18-year-olds behind to wheel of a big rig, if I were you. They generally lack self-discipline, attention to detail, and good judgement, as that is how they are wired at that age. They also make up the group most often involved in deadly motor vehicle accidents.
Are you relieved, as I am, that all of the experts in viral diseases, electoral laws, voters rights legislation are now tackling supply chain logistics?

I read a story the other day about a train that goes 140 MPH.... This isn't unusual but citizens of the nation that have this train can go from one side of the nation to the other pretty much in 3 hours.

The train is in Montenegro. Montenegro. Freaking Montenegro. They have an infrastructure that is better than ours in that aspect. Would be just dandy if we could take the containers and pop them from the ships to a train and have them in the midwest the same day they are offloaded.

Could the US do this? OF course it could. Will it? Of course it won't.

Trump caused the trucker shortage. Trump admin regulations in 2017 forcing 35% of truckers out of service for sleep apnea!
You seem to have forgotten to include your reliable source and working links. Would you include them for us please?

I did a quick search on Bing and I could find no laws or regulations preventing anyone from having a CDL license for due to a diagnosis of sleep apnea.

Thank you, thank you very much.

Forum List

Back