Lazy crane operators

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017
Interesting take on this...what should the Fed Govt to do fix this problem?

The finger-pointing at the busy Los Angeles County ports comes as scores of container ships are anchored off the California coast, waiting in some cases for weeks to unload their freight. The Biden administration has scrambled to get shipping executives, port officials, and labor to tackle the problem. While the reasons for the burgeoning backlog are complex, truck drivers say not everyone seems to be working together.

“In 15 years of doing this job, I’ve never seen them work slower,” said Antonio, who has spent hours waiting at Los Angeles County ports for cargo to be loaded. “The crane operators take their time, like three to four hours to get just one container. You can’t say anything to them, or they will just go [help] someone else.”

Gee. Let's ask Google and Facebook if the government should be permitted to control how the private company unloading ships should act.

dude, there are like 900 threads in the last week bashing Biden for not fixing the supply chain problem...how many of them did you go into and make such a post?

But I am glad you caught the point of my thread

dude, there are like 900 threads in the last week bashing Biden for not fixing the supply chain problem...how many of them did you go into and make such a post?

But I am glad you caught the point of my thread
In truth, it isn't Biden's job to fix the supply chain problems.

It's just his job to get the hell out of the way and let the economy work what it does best.

Why sweat the supply chain now that government handouts have made the Dollar so worthless that everything that might someday be on the shelf is priced out of reach?

You voted for it; you got it. Now it's your patriotic duty to suck it up and stop complaining.

Interesting take on this...what should the Fed Govt to do fix this problem?

The finger-pointing at the busy Los Angeles County ports comes as scores of container ships are anchored off the California coast, waiting in some cases for weeks to unload their freight. The Biden administration has scrambled to get shipping executives, port officials, and labor to tackle the problem. While the reasons for the burgeoning backlog are complex, truck drivers say not everyone seems to be working together.

“In 15 years of doing this job, I’ve never seen them work slower,” said Antonio, who has spent hours waiting at Los Angeles County ports for cargo to be loaded. “The crane operators take their time, like three to four hours to get just one container. You can’t say anything to them, or they will just go [help] someone else.”
You obviously know nothing about running a crane. Do you know how much training is required before you are even allowed to sit on a crane? The operator doesn't do the rigging anyway. He is responsible to inspect the rigging to see that it is rigged properly, and can be personally be held financially and/or criminally responsible for any damage or injury occurring from lifting an unsafe load. There is a checklist that must be covered for each and every lift, just like pilots who fly for the airlines. If anybody is slowing things down, it might be the riggers, or the schedulers who determine which container to lift next. Perhaps it's the dumb assed truck drivers who never seem to be able to park in the right spot to be loaded, but it's not the operators.

I sense. . . an ulterior motive. :eusa_whistle:

Perhaps they are blaming the people, when it is the increasing automation that is to blame? Or perhaps there is a push for more automation, so management doesn't care if the union shoots itself in the foot, and angers a nation?

On This Waterfront, Robot Longshoremen Are the New Contender​

-1x-1.jpg

A view of the fully-automated TraPac shipping terminal in the Port of Los Angeles.

Photographer: Tim Rue/Bloomberg

" .. .. . As they grapple with this onslaught, the California facilities lag far behind some counterparts in adopting autonomous technology. Since 1993, Rotterdam has used precursors to the self-driving equipment Pisano is installing. Europe’s largest facility, it now has five fully automated deep-sea terminals.

At Los Angeles and Long Beach, the International Longshore and Warehouse Union refused to formally accept self-driving and automated technologies until 2008. Since then, none of the ILWU’s 14,000 full-time West Coast dock members have lost jobs, but 10,000 contingent workers are called less often, said Jim McKenna, president of the Pacific Maritime Association, an employer group. He declined to say how much less. But it’s enough that ILWU leaders are no more enthusiastic about having Jerry Brown promote autonomous driving in the name of clean air today, as they were about having corporations promote containerization in the name of efficiency half a century ago.

“If I have to lose a year or two at the end of my time in this world so I can send my kid to school, I have no problem with that,’’ said Mondo Porras, vice president of ILWU Local 13 in San Pedro.. . . "

Last edited:
You obviously know nothing about running a crane. Do you know how much training is required before you are even allowed to sit on a crane? The operator doesn't do the rigging anyway. He is responsible to inspect the rigging to see that it is rigged properly, and can be personally be held financially and/or criminally responsible for any damage or injury occurring from lifting an unsafe load. There is a checklist that must be covered for each and every lift, just like pilots who fly for the airlines. If anybody is slowing things down, it might be the riggers, or the schedulers who determine which container to lift next. Perhaps it's the dumb assed truck drivers who never seem to be able to park in the right spot to be loaded, but it's not the operators.

You are correct, I know nothing about running a crane. Thus I posted the opinions of other people instead of claiming to be an expert

Let me get this straight, a yahoo unknown named Tori Richards claims that truckers blame crane operators for the container crisis and we are supposed to believe this left wing crap? It beats blaming silent Joe anyway.

You are correct, I know nothing about running a crane. Thus I posted the opinions of other people instead of claiming to be an expert
I can accept that, but demonizing people about things that aren't understood is way too common. The takeaway from your OP is to blame union and crane operators for the problem. There is nothing to show that is the case.

Let me get this straight, a yahoo unknown named Tori Richards claims that truckers blame crane operators for the container crisis and we are supposed to believe this left wing crap? It beats blaming silent Joe anyway.
Liberal crap? The author of the story is right wing. You should read some of her other stories.

Liberal crap? The author of the story is right wing. You should read some of her other stories.
Yahoo news is never right wing. I mean you have to consider how the hell Tori Richards could have interviewed enoug truck drivers to get a story like this It's freaking nuts.

Gee. Let's ask Google and Facebook if the government should be permitted to control how the private company unloading ships should act.
The government tells truck drivers how to act. Since that's the case, it oughta be illegal to detain a driver more than two hours loading, or unloading. If it happens, the driver should be able to report the shipper/receiver and that company be saddled with a significant fine.

Forum List

Back