For 1 in 16 US women, their first experience with sexual intercourse was rape, study says

This is quite astonishing along with the claim that 40% of women have experienced sexual assault.

It also fits into the Brett Kavanaugh issue where the system has demonstrated that women who claim sexual assault will have their character vigorously impugned by people in power.

"The average age of women who experienced forced sexual initiation was 15.6."

"Wife of Trump aide: Women in military should expect sexual harassment." That is astonishing.

For 1 in 16 US women, their first experience with sexual intercourse was rape, study says - CNN

For 1 in 16 US women, their first experience with sexual intercourse was rape, study says
By Jen Christensen, CNN
Updated 2130 GMT (0530 HKT) September 16, 2019

Wife of Trump aide: Women in military should expect sexual harassment

(CNN)More than 3.3 million American women ages 18 to 44 were raped the first time they had sexual intercourse, according to a new study, and "all demographic groups reported substantial roles of forced sexual initiation."
The study, published Monday in the medical journal JAMA Internal Medicine, notes the World Health Organization recognizes forced sexual initiation -- "an unwanted first sexual intercourse that is physically forced or coerced" -- as a distinct form of sexual violence.
"We feel it is accurate to describe these events as rape," said Dr. Laura Hawks, a primary care physician and research fellow at Harvard Medical School who co-authored the study.
The study says that 6.5% of women surveyed had an unwanted first sexual intercourse that was forced or coerced and it "appears to be common." Researchers estimated that to be 1 in 16 US women.
The average age of women who experienced forced sexual initiation was 15.6. The average age of the partner or assailant at the time was 6 years older. Among women whose first sexual intercourse was voluntary, the average age was 17.4.
National Sexual Assault Hotline
If you or a loved one is a survivor of assault, please call
National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE
Or talk to a trained volunteer at Terms of Service - Online Hotline
Some 50% of women surveyed said the perpetrator was larger or older. More than 46% of the women were held down. In 56% of the instances, men used verbal pressure. Men used a physical threats more than 26% of the time and caused physical harm in more than 25% of the instances. Some 22% of the women were drugged.
Survivors faced long-term consequences, such as increased rates of HIV, sexually transmitted diseases, pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis and menstrual problems. More than 30% said they had an unwanted first pregnancy, while 24% said they had ever had an abortion in their lifetime -- higher percentages than among women whose first sexual intercourse was voluntary.
Get CNN Health's weekly newsletter
Sign up here to get The Results Are In with Dr. Sanjay Gupta every Tuesday from the CNN Health team.
Earlier research has shown that more than 40% of women have experienced some form of sexual violence in their lifetime, and half of those have been raped. The authors of this study said there is no recent data focused on first experiences with intercourse. The survey included 13,310 women and was nationally representative of the population age 18 to 44. The data came from the National Survey of Family and Growth from 2011 to 2017.
"A practicing physician is likely to see several patients each week who have experienced this form of trauma," the authors wrote in the study, saying doctors should develop tools to identify and help people who've experienced it.
What isn’t astonishing is that most on the right consider this to be a non-issue, or otherwise reject these facts as ‘fake news.’

Since I’ve been retired I’ve been going to this art studio. And there’s a guy a couple years older than me that also goes there who’s also retired. He’s a Republican. So he was telling me the story about a woman that worked with him at the company he worked at who screamed rape and accused him of attacking her.
So I ask him if he raped her and he said no of course not he would never rape a woman. So I asked what caused her to scream and to complain about you and he said he didn’t know. And he truly looked like he didn’t know.
So I said was there any physical contact with her and he said yeah when he kissed her.
So I ask him did you to lean in to kiss or did you just grab her and kiss her. And he said of course he grabbed her and kissed her. That’s how it works. Otherwise she never would’ve kissed him.
So I told him well that’s why she screamed rape. You’re not supposed to just grab a woman and kiss her. And he totally looked confused and asked why not?
How do you explain this to a republican?
The guy is 70 years old and doesn’t understand why grabbing a woman and kissing her is an attack.
So I asked him, what if I grabbed you and kissed you? And he said well that’s ridiculous because we’re both guys. And I asked does that mean you don’t want to be kissed? And he said not by you. And so I asked him well what if I did it anyway. And he said he’d get pissed. And I said well maybe that’s how she felt. She was pissed. And he asked why because they are a man and a woman.
So is this a generational thing? I don’t know. I wouldn’t want my daughter or my mother or my sister to be grabbed and kissed by some guy they didn’t want.
I think you just have to apply the law and be vigilant when you’re around Republican men. Because they just feel they have every right to mistreat a woman.
They just don’t understand why a woman isn’t flattered being attacked.

Guys like him operate under the myth that women somehow have no individual taste or standards and ought to accept whoever wants to grab her. How many times have men used the excuse that the woman in question had flirted or something with another man, as if physical (and emotional) attraction did not matter. George Clooney and Alfred E. Neuman have nothing in common. I wonder what this guy would have said if Roseanne Barr had come up and grabbed him, since they are a man and a woman.

What isn’t astonishing is that most on the right consider this to be a non-issue, or otherwise reject these facts as ‘fake news.’
Learn what a "fact" is, first of all, then try again.

Wouldn't you find a study conducted by a research fellow at Harvard Med and published in JAMA Internal Medicine to be quite reliable in terms of facts?

And lets import more that believe that they have a right to a women based on their culture or how she is dressed.

images (18).jpg
rape prevention.jpg
images (18).jpg

Wouldn't you find a study conducted by a research fellow at Harvard Med and published in JAMA Internal Medicine to be quite reliable in terms of facts?
Not necessarily if those "facts" are all based on value added biased definitions of what rape is.

"The study, published Monday in the medical journal JAMA Internal Medicine, notes the World Health Organization recognizes forced sexual initiation -- "an unwanted first sexual intercourse that is physically forced or coerced" -- as a distinct form of sexual violence.
"We feel it is accurate to describe these events as rape," said Dr. Laura Hawks, a primary care physician and research fellow at Harvard Medical School who co-authored the study."

We can all agree rape has been committed when a woman is physically forced to have sex. That's a classic definition.
But how about after a woman has been drinking and then later, in retrospect, she decides she was raped, for instance? Most common sense people would not consider that to be a case of rape.

Has sex been "coerced" in that case? Dr. Laura Hawks would say yes as I understand her claim.

Coerced is the key word here and that is a problematic word. How about a girl who has persistently over time been pestered to have sex and always refused but eventually gives in because she doesn't want to lose her boyfriend?
So she does relent but then regrets her decision and because she was "coerced" she can say she was raped by the definition of Dr. Laura Hawks. I find her definition of what "rape" is to be questionable at best.

Not necessarily if those "facts" are all based on value added biased definitions of what rape is.

"The study, published Monday in the medical journal JAMA Internal Medicine, notes the World Health Organization recognizes forced sexual initiation -- "an unwanted first sexual intercourse that is physically forced or coerced" -- as a distinct form of sexual violence.
"We feel it is accurate to describe these events as rape," said Dr. Laura Hawks, a primary care physician and research fellow at Harvard Medical School who co-authored the study."

We can all agree rape has been committed when a woman is physically forced to have sex. That's a classic definition.
But how about after a woman has been drinking and then later, in retrospect, she decides she was raped, for instance? Most common sense people would not consider that to be a case of rape.

Has sex been "coerced" in that case? Dr. Laura Hawks would say yes as I understand her claim.

Coerced is the key word here and that is a problematic word. How about a girl who has persistently over time been pestered to have sex and always refused but eventually gives in because she doesn't want to lose her boyfriend?
So she does relent but then regrets her decision and because she was "coerced" she can say she was raped by the definition of Dr. Laura Hawks. I find her definition of what "rape" is to be questionable at best.

Physically forced or coerced means exactly that. "Giving in" is a different action.

Why are you trying to come with every possible scenario that might hypothetically occur to cast doubt on the veracity of women? Men are known to lie about this stuff, and have in police stations and court rooms all over the country.

There is no excuse for rape. This study shows that we have a problem in this country. Trying to downplay the importance of the study does not do anything to solve the problem.

This is quite astonishing along with the claim that 40% of women have experienced sexual assault.

It also fits into the Brett Kavanaugh issue where the system has demonstrated that women who claim sexual assault will have their character vigorously impugned by people in power.

"The average age of women who experienced forced sexual initiation was 15.6."

"Wife of Trump aide: Women in military should expect sexual harassment." That is astonishing.

For 1 in 16 US women, their first experience with sexual intercourse was rape, study says - CNN

By Jen Christensen, CNN
Updated 2130 GMT (0530 HKT) September 16, 2019

Wife of Trump aide: Women in military should expect sexual harassment

(CNN)More than 3.3 million American women ages 18 to 44 were raped the first time they had sexual intercourse, according to a new study, and "all demographic groups reported substantial roles of forced sexual initiation."
The study, published Monday in the medical journal JAMA Internal Medicine, notes the World Health Organization recognizes forced sexual initiation -- "an unwanted first sexual intercourse that is physically forced or coerced" -- as a distinct form of sexual violence.
"We feel it is accurate to describe these events as rape," said Dr. Laura Hawks, a primary care physician and research fellow at Harvard Medical School who co-authored the study.
The study says that 6.5% of women surveyed had an unwanted first sexual intercourse that was forced or coerced and it "appears to be common." Researchers estimated that to be 1 in 16 US women.
The average age of women who experienced forced sexual initiation was 15.6. The average age of the partner or assailant at the time was 6 years older. Among women whose first sexual intercourse was voluntary, the average age was 17.4.
National Sexual Assault Hotline
If you or a loved one is a survivor of assault, please call
National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE
Or talk to a trained volunteer at Terms of Service - Online Hotline
Some 50% of women surveyed said the perpetrator was larger or older. More than 46% of the women were held down. In 56% of the instances, men used verbal pressure. Men used a physical threats more than 26% of the time and caused physical harm in more than 25% of the instances. Some 22% of the women were drugged.
Survivors faced long-term consequences, such as increased rates of HIV, sexually transmitted diseases, pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis and menstrual problems. More than 30% said they had an unwanted first pregnancy, while 24% said they had ever had an abortion in their lifetime -- higher percentages than among women whose first sexual intercourse was voluntary.
Get CNN Health's weekly newsletter
Sign up here to get The Results Are In with Dr. Sanjay Gupta every Tuesday from the CNN Health team.
Earlier research has shown that more than 40% of women have experienced some form of sexual violence in their lifetime, and half of those have been raped. The authors of this study said there is no recent data focused on first experiences with intercourse. The survey included 13,310 women and was nationally representative of the population age 18 to 44. The data came from the National Survey of Family and Growth from 2011 to 2017.
"A practicing physician is likely to see several patients each week who have experienced this form of trauma," the authors wrote in the study, saying doctors should develop tools to identify and help people who've experienced it.
Yeah, it became rape later when he didn't call her.

Physically forced or coerced means exactly that. "Giving in" is a different action.
There are many ways to coerce. To physically force sex on another person is a different matter.
Having sex after you both got drunk is not rape. Claiming rape in such a case is a cowardly way of escaping one's own responsibility for one's actions. I hope you aren't that sort of "feminist"...the kind that would rather send a man to prison than own up to her own actions.

Why are you trying to come with every possible scenario that might hypothetically occur to cast doubt on the veracity of women? Men are known to lie about this stuff, and have in police stations and court rooms all over the country.
Why are you pretending that's what I'm doing? I'm calling B.S. on a study that inflates rape statistics by redefining what rape is.
That sort of non intellectual revisionism helps no one and it actually casts doubt on this study and hurts the cause of rape prevention.

There is no excuse for rape. This study shows that we have a problem in this country. Trying to downplay the importance of the study does not do anything to solve the problem.
Downplaying a study that is inherently dishonest
only hurts that study itself. Stop being a coward.

Crap.

The Left loves to make up statistics about everything. Pure lies.

More than half (56%) of the 40% of alleged rape victims that the international survey compiled claim that the man (boy) used "verbal pressure". The survey didn't use the word "threat". In other words he talked her into it like men have been doing since the beginning of time. How does that constitute rape? This is what you get when schools have been using verbal pressure to teach girls how to put a condom on a banana and telling them that sexual encounters are inevitable while hollywood has been glorifying sex for a hundred years. You get a guilt trip while government bureaucrats get paid to convince them they were raped.

More than half (56%) of the 40% of alleged rape victims that the international survey compiled the 13,000 claim that the man (boy) used "verbal pressure". The survey didn't use the word "threat". In other words he talked her into it like men have been doing since the beginning of time. How does that constitute rape? This is what you get when schools have been using verbal pressure to teach girls how to put a condom on a banana and telling them that sexual encounters are inevitable while hollywood has been glorifying sex for a hundred years. You get a guilt trip while government bureaucrats get paid to convince them they were raped.
It's all a part of the larger society where no one wants to be held responsible for their own actions.
It's easier to claim you got raped than face the truth that you both were somewhat drunk and a none too bright piece of crap talked you right out of your panties.

How about we all sit down and discuss this issue as intelligent, fair-minded adults, of both sexes, and get to the bottom of the problem?
-------------------------------- seems to me that its YOU women that have the problem Lysis .

Crime isn't a gender problem. If crimes are being committed, that affect all of us.
------------------------------------Only women can be raped in the traditional manner . Seems to me that rape is a female problem Fnecco
Absolutely false men can raped in the same way and even by women.

It is ludicrous and unfounded to assume otherwise.

The study cited in the OP is apparantly brandnew. It might be accurate or not. I really do not know and will reserve judgement until i can scrutinize it very carefully. We do know that studies and statistics can easilty be manipulated to achieve desried results and ANYONE can have desired results and thus manipulate the methods of gathering information and asking questions to achieve a certian outcome.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evideence and extraordinary attention to detail.

In the meantime it is not something that can be taken as fact at face value.

If it turns out that it is an unbiased and credible study I'll Accept it.

In the meantime why is there no study of men who were initiated into sex by force? Also why is there no study of men who report that they have been falsely accused of rape or sexual assault? If there is I'd LOVE to see it.

In any event it bears no relation at all to the Kavanugh accusation as the OP stupidly suggests.

Last edited:
The only astonishing thing is people believe this nonsense.
In these faux studies, they classify almost anything as sexual assault.
A boy out with a girl, everything seems fine.... they get along well, been on a couple dates.... he leans over and kisses her on the mouth without asking. SEXUAL ASSAULT!!!

It's absurd, it is counter productive and detracts attention from actual sexual assault.

The only astonishing thing is people believe this nonsense.
In these faux studies, they classify almost anything as sexual assault.
A boy out with a girl, everything seems fine.... they get along well, been on a couple dates.... he leans over and kisses her on the mouth without asking. SEXUAL ASSAULT!!!

It's absurd, it is counter productive and detracts attention from actual sexual assault.
That is a very strong possibility which is why I posted a rather lengthy comment that this study needs to be closely and skeptically examined for accuracy and bias.

If it is sound and credible so be it but so far it is being taken at face value.

I just leave women alone to handle THEIR rape problem the best that they can and I wish them the best .

Decades of liberal government mandated education taught girls everything they needed to know about sex except how to say no. Now liberals manage to convince vulnerable women that they were raped in order to make a political point.

Forum List

Back