Fire Pits

We have a fire pit that was custom built with seating around it just off the edge of the pool deck. It's next to the built in outdoor kitchen/barbeque area......It's really neat to sit out there when the temperatures drop a lil' night.

We also have an outdoor fireplace inside the pool grotto....The grotto has a waterfall on one end where you can swim through to get inside. The fireplace was designed so the waterfall reflects the flames through it. At night it creates an incredible visual...The waterfall actually looks like a cascading flame......I love to go in there at night, spark a bowl, crank the tunes, stare at the fall and relax.

Last edited:
Do you have a 'Fire Pit' outside? If so, did you build it or have someone do it for you?

What does it look like? Do you use if often?

We are thinking about making one for Fall/Winter times outside in our backyard, and I wanted to see what y'all had!

Thanks!

They can be tricky, but are not rocket science, and make for a nice project. What do you have in mind ?

We have a fire pit that was custom built with seating around it just off the edge of the pool deck. It's next to the built in outdoor kitchen/barbeque area......It's really neat to sit out there when the temperatures drop a lil' night.

We also have an outdoor fireplace inside the pool grotto....The grotto has a waterfall on one end where you can swim through to get inside. The fireplace was designed so the waterfall reflects the flames through it. At night it creates an incredible visual...The waterfall actually looks like a cscading flame......I love to go in there at night, spark a bowl, crank the tunes, and stare at the fall.

Spark a bowl???

You liberal.

Do you have a 'Fire Pit' outside? If so, did you build it or have someone do it for you?

We are thinking about making one for Fall/Winter times outside in our backyard, and I wanted to see what y'all had!

Thanks!
We have one that's made out of the end of a propane tank.

Pic coming in a few minutes.....

We also have an outdoor fireplace inside the pool grotto....The grotto has a waterfall on one end where you can swim through to get inside. The fireplace was designed so the waterfall reflects the flames through it. At night it creates an incredible visual...The waterfall actually looks like a cscading flame......I love to go in there at night, spark a bowl, crank the tunes, and stare at the fall.

Spark a bowl???

You liberal.
:cool:

And it's perfectly legal!......Got the state issued MM card!:razz:

A quick 15 minute drive down PCH into Santa Monica, left onto Ocean blvd, and there's the pot shop, with a fine selection o' kush!:eusa_drool:

well damn we can get more kittens and a dog now......lol

most of the ones i see are pretty simple....rocks in a circle (rednecks go with what they know)

tub.jpg

:lol:

Is that a femur I see in there?

Spark a bowl???

You liberal.
:cool:

And it's perfectly legal!......Got the state issued MM card!:razz:

A quick 15 minute drive down PCH into Santa Monica, left onto Ocean blvd, and there's the pot shop, with a fine selection o' kush!:eusa_drool:

You hippie.

We went with the 'purchased on sale' model. No, that's not our back yard but that is the fire pit we have. Works fine but if we had more property we'd make one ourselves with blocks and such.

master:ALZ001.jpg

Don't forget the chocolate bars, marshmallows, graham crackers and skewers!

I just used some bricks and made a circle about 3 or 4 feet, 4 bricks high with spaces between the middle layers so the light could leak out. I did not mortar them together but just let gravity hold it. I wanted to see what it would look like first and then see if it was functional. Worked nicely. Just don't use it that often but I like the layout so I am going to install it permanently.

Our pit has a 8x 5 backer stone, and similar smaller surrounds ones that were found digging the cellar hole here

we burn everything that can burn in the pit

it needs it's annual cleanout soon, salseman bones are pilling up again....

~S~

My old place, seriously, we used to get pallets from the airport and have 30' plus fires. Awesome. The last one we had killed grass for about a 10' radius.

Can't do that in the new place, it's in a neighborhood. We just have a dinky lil thing like Zoom's pic. :(

Thanks!

I have a metal chimnea on my deck and I really love it. . Since I bought it 4 years ago I used it frequently, except this year.. I also have a metal fire pit still in the box. Got sick this summer and never got it out. I have two patio heaters as well. I also like Tiki torches. They are cheap. The stands for them cost about 6 or 7 bucks and the oil, IMO, isn't cheap, but I still really like them. Get the fires going in cool weather and it is very enjoyable.

After I bought the metal one, I wished I had not. I saw an article in a magazine showing how you can build a fire pit by stacking culvert rings.

I also have a lot of wind chimes.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks everyone! Lots of great ideas and cool pics! That is going to be our 'project' here after the wedding....nothing better than being outside on a crisp fall evening....I love the 'smell' of fall, don't you?

You don't have to "build" a fire pit.

Get some good sized rocks, dig a shallow pit and arrange the rocks in a circle. You now have a fire pit.

What on earth is a "fire pit"?

You mean a hole in the ground where I burn stuff?

Thanks!

San Francisco...

We are not allowed to burn our fireplace or bbq when we want to..... I am pretty sure fire pit would also be...... outlawed. :eek:

Damn nanny city!

Forum List

Back