Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Twist and Shout

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters
Really -- yer a musicmonger?

What's the guitar there?

Oh yeah....played guitar for years and sung in bars for years. The guitar is a $1600 Taylor Made 310-CE. A very sweet instrument.

Pogo this is an obscure Elton John song from Madman Across the Water. You can hear the quality of the guitar much better here. :)

Nice :thup:

You have a fine voice. Reminds me of .... can't quite think of the name, British folk type...

Think you need a limiter in the audio chain though.

You're not in DADGAD there are you? Sounds almost open.

Yeah I cranked my voice in the chorus and slightly maxed input. :) I usually don't need a limiter because I set the input level correctly and don't get carried away belting it out. :)

And no....not an open tuning which makes in more difficult to play. I capo the first fret and play it in Eb. The high picking you hear is just me trying to approximate the record. I play a weird D chord starting at the 5th fret. Gives a nice ringing tone.

Here's a Zeppelin song. Fun trying to crank Robert Plant. This one used to go over great in bars.

Sweet.
I'm still very impressed by the voice. If you were in my band I might even let you take a tune or two. :)

Me, I love open tunings. Not so much DADGAD but some of the others I get from Joni Mitchell, Richard Thompson and such.

Our old jugband did a couple of Beatles albums live, with lots of parodies of course. I should maybe do some uploads... they were a hoot...

Please upload. :) I love to hear folks stuff. I used to do some open tunings on instrumentals (Jimmy Page's Bron-yr-Ar was one.). Not so much to sing although I use a double drop D on one song.

Please upload some of your stuff. :thup:

It will take a while -- I did upload a couple to YouTube in the past but they (a) were parodies very specific to a small industry group (inside jokes that nobody else would get) and (b) at least one of them was muted by YouTube for copyright.

I do a lot of parodies, but it works best when I can just overlay vocals over well-known instrumental beds. I enjoy that a lot -- YouTube doesn't enjoy it so much.

Have some jugband recordings though, I could upload some of the live Shite Album. We did the entire thing, all 30 tracks including Revolution 9 (which I scripted). They tell us we're the only band who's ever done the entire thing live. Prior to that we had done Shabby Road, which was really shabby. We were working on Surgin' Pecker, my personal favourite, when the band faded from existence and one of us died (not me).

But (back to topic) we liked to stretch on this tune, which is prolly still my favorite harmony. I like harmonies. We didn't do it on stage or record it because we only did it straight and we were a comedy group. But it's exhilarating to sing --

(video's completely unrelated here, ignore)​

Some of Lennon's rehearsal lyrics

"She said...
Who put all that crap in your hair?

---- And she's making me feel like my trousers are torn" :rofl:

A parodist after me own heart. Or the other way 'round.

Fun fact: the original working title of "It's Only Love" was.....
"That's a Nice Hat"

Last edited:
Did you know that Twist and Shout is a cover? I just found that out recently, and a lot of people don't know that. :)

First recording! You go girl. Usually it's associated with the Isley Brothers. Well done.

Twist and Shout was the last recording of a long and grueling day in the studio, the band going for just "one more" to fill out the album. Recorded live in the studio in one take. Lennon, sipping milk for his ragged throat, stripped to the waist and just went all out, as did the other three in the same energy. They tried a second take but his voice was gone by then. So it was a magic moment, done in the moment, and the energy is all as real as it gets. :thup:

Did you know that Twist and Shout is a cover? I just found that out recently, and a lot of people don't know that. :)

First recording! You go girl. Usually it's associated with the Isley Brothers. Well done.

Twist and Shout was the last recording of a long and grueling day in the studio, the band going for just "one more" to fill out the album. Recorded live in the studio in one take. Lennon, sipping milk for his ragged throat, stripped to the waist and just went all out, as did the other three in the same energy. They tried a second take but his voice was gone by then. So it was a magic moment, done in the moment, and the energy is all as real as it gets. :thup:

I like the Beatles version better, TBH. :)

Forum List

Back