Songs with strong meanings, you relate to.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
For me, one of those is Supertramp - "Take the Long Way Home".

By the 2010s my life was not in a great place. I put all of my efforts into my work, and all I cared about away from work was my two kids. I attempted to make them fulfill all of my social needs. That is not a great plan. And, as anyone could predict, by late high school they had their own life. And I was "alone" with only my loveless marriage. I was a bit lost for a few years.

This song was everything I was experiencing. The actual meaning of the song, as publicly stated by Roger Hodgson, was a man who saw himself better than the life he was living. He didn't want to go home, as he didn't really have a "home". Home for him was a place he didn't want to go.
That use to be exactly what it was for me.
And I was certainly not alone... and where the phrase 'Men live lives of quiet desperation" has it's most meaning.

For the few here who may not know the song... it has a long introduction, you can skip to about :30

Johnny Cash’s remake of Hurt is one of the strongest emotional connecting songs IMO. Originally written by Trent Resner of Nine inch Nails to reflect on an isolation, loss of connection, depression and drug use that came from being in a famous band… Cash took the song to a whole new level. It was I believe the last video he recorded. His wife who is in the video died a few months after it was recorded and Cash died about a year later. Heavy stuff but makes you think. A masterful interpretation whether you’re a Johnny Cash fan or not….

It would honestly surprise me if anybody could give this a serious watch/listen and not get at least a little choked up.

Also up there at the top is Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin for reason that I don’t need to explain….

Absolutely.
It was about 2009, my two brothers and I, and our sons took my Dad for a weekend in a cabin in Nashville, IN. To this day, some of the best memories I have is from that weekend. Dad was so obviously happy and having a good time with his sons, grandsons.
We learned Dad got brain cancer in the summer of 2016. We had talked about doing another trip before, and now this made it more urgent.
We struggled to put a weekend together, for the next couple months, but his cancer was rapid. Chemotherapy made it impossible. He quit Chemo by November, he knew he was going to die. And he didn't want to die deathly sick all the time.
He died January 2017.
We never did the fucking trip.
The regret is great.

Absolutely.
It was about 2009, my two brothers and I, and our sons took my Dad for a weekend in a cabin in Nashville, IN. To this day, some of the best memories I have is from that weekend. Dad was so obviously happy and having a good time with his sons, grandsons.
We learned Dad got brain cancer in the summer of 2016. We had talked about doing another trip before, and now this made it more urgent.
We struggled to put a weekend together, for the next couple months, but his cancer was rapid. Chemotherapy made it impossible. He quit Chemo by November, he knew he was going to die. And he didn't want to die deathly sick all the time.
He died January 2017.
We never did the fucking trip.
The regret is great.
That’s heavy, very sorry to hear that. sounds like you have a pretty close family and some great memories so that’s the gift you all give to each other. Cheers to your pops

Puff the Magic Dragon

I always thought it was a cute kids' song.
Then I was singing it to my 1st and...

A dragon lives forever, but not so little boys
Painted wings and giant's rings make way for other toys
One gray night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more
And Puff, that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar

His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain
Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane
Without his lifelong friend, Puff could not be brave
So Puff, that mighty dragon, sadly slipped into his cave

It still breaks me up.

THis one is more the lyrics than the song, though the song is not bad at all.

In 2014, the corporation I worked for sold almost all of it's physical assets.
The old guard, the original brothers that started it all in the 1960s, several years back retired.
Their children were not so interested in hard work. Though they were making a LOT of money from the business for doing nothing, they saw they could make $100s millions by selling everything.
So they did.
I saved one of those companies. And grew it by a factor of 5. In the original OP I mentioned I put myself into my work. They sold it.
I had some solid offers making as much or even more than I was making in 2014. But I got a large sum of cash when the company was sold, so I had time.
In the end I decided not to be consumed by my job again.

When I heard this song for the first time, which was right when all of this was happening... I connected to it instantly.

I will never be the biggest fan of Tim McGraw, but I do love plenty of his music and the following song from him is what came to my mind when I saw this chat. "I guess some things just don't mix like you hope, like me and you." is the lyric that I send out to certain people who have been in my life.

God bless you and Tim always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back