EVs are literally pieces of crap after the first fender bender!

4. The fuel economy equivalent of most EV's is near 100 mpge.
I'm not sure that is the case. I suspect somebody published that number but I would like to see the inputs for the calculations.

For instance, in California it takes 19 Gigawatts of power to keep the existing number of EVs charged. That is when only 3% of the vehicles in the state are EVs. That is like the equivalent of a Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant output.

While the state may be able to keep with that additional demand now with late night recharging that won't last very long as the number of vehicles increase. Sooner or later they are going to have to build more power generating stations. A lot more. Also, upgrading the power distribution grid. When they do then equivalent MPG starts to go down real fast.

My son bought a Tesla Model Y for his commute back and forth to work in Atlanta. It cost him $65K. It is actually a small vehicle. He would have been better off to buy a Honda CRV for $35K that got 30MPG in the city and 40 on the highway and save $30K. More room on the inside and much more reliable vehicle. Plus better for longer trip. Or getting an even smaller Honda or Toyota for his commute with even lesser cost and better gas mileage.

Don't know much about EVs, but....

your-constant-misuse-of-the-word-literally-drives-me-figuratively-insane-7e06a.png

The battery in most passenger car EV's probably weighs between 600 and 1,700 lbs
The law of conservation of energy dictates that in a sudden impact, ALL of that kinetic energy must be transferred or converted almost instantly.
That's a hell of a lot of energy.
I do not know what measures have been taken to protect those batteries from shock and impact.

I DO KNOW that the plates in Lithium batteries and the thousands of delicate internal and external connections can be damaged in an impact.
I DO KNOW that if ANY of the cells are compromised (punctured or deformed) they can ignite and quickly involve the entire battery and vehicle.

So it would make sense that an electric vehicle will be far more likely to sustain heavy damage in an impact.
I would make an educated guess that the accumulation of damaged batteries will become a major problem similar to the billions of discarded tires has become. Both being ecological disasters. The technology to recycle damaged Lithium batteries had better become as or more important than developing the vehicles themselves.

Or, even better...I suspect a different battery technology will emerge. FAR higher energy density thereby requiring less harmful materials to build and extending EV range to rival gasoline powered vehicle range. Still, the charging time must be overcome.

And on that note...I can see manufacturers coming to their senses and returning to the Hybrid route where the vehicle can run off batteries but still switch over to a small gasoline powered engine that simultaneously can be recharging the electric battery while in use. This would solve the current EV range problem by having an EV passenger car for example switch over to the gasoline engine when on a long distance trip.

I know, they already have that....but it could be vastly improved.

Last edited:
To a certain extent you are correct, there is no real need for being able to accelerate from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds or to lead a police chase at 120+ mph. I would ensure, however, that cars have enough horsepower to pass slower cars on two lane roads safely (read quickly) and be able to maintain speed in hilly or mountainous terrain. I owned one of the early Hyundai's with a very small engine for a few months and got very tired of topping hills on the highway at 55 mph. That family of 5 does need enough horsepower to move the entire family plus all their luggage at highway speeds.

You said that you owned one of the early Hyundai cars and it didn't perform to what you needed it to. Maybe that's because it was a model that just didn't perform well? Many car manufacturers have a couple of models that just don't work well for one reason or another.

But...........that's really no reason to bag on 4 cyl. cars. Why do I say this? Because I bought a used 2008 Honda Civic EX a year ago that was in really great shape. Main reason I bought it was because I wanted good gas mileage (even used, it still gets around 30 mpg city and around 36 mpg highway which is about 10 mpg better than what my previous car was. I know this because I check my gas mileage almost every time I fill up), and because it was in really great shape (thing looked almost new because the previous owner took REALLY good care of it).

Yeah.................it's a 4 cylinder sedan, but it cruises at around 75 mph (speed limit for highways here in SC), and I have no problem keeping up with traffic when they are doing 85, and that's in rolling hill country 40 miles north of Columbia (and it still gets around 32 mpg when going that fast). Has no problems when I have several passengers with gear in it, and it's a really good car. Sorry, but 4 cyl cars can perform well in highway conditions and keep up, especially Hondas with the VTECH engine.

I actually considered getting a Power Commander throttle box, just because I've heard so much about how they can make a car really fun to drive because of increased acceleration, but have put that on hold, because the pick up and acceleration on my Civic is just fine. Can get to 70 mph highway speed in just the distance of an on ramp without ramming my foot through the floor.

This post is off limits to stupid people. DO NOT EVEN READ IT IF YOUR IQ IS LOWER THAN YOUR SHOE SIZE.
(You won't understand it and might even think it's funny)

I don't think EV's were ever actually meant to replace ICE vehicles.
What they ARE is a vehicle to install greater control over the common man.
Hydrogen powered cars are receiving almost zero media attention.....because that would be a REAL solution but would not provide the control desired.

Another glaring but ALWAYS ignored solution is.......
To stop making ICE vehicles with excessive power and make them with just enough power to do the job.
Why the hell does a single mom's Camry need 300HP to take the kids to school and go get groceries?
And why does the young man need a 460HP Mustang to get to work?
There are billions of barrels of fossil fuels WASTED every year because a vehicle that only needs 60HP has 400HP.
We DO NOT NEED 800HP passenger cars being driven around with ONE PERSON in them. Massive waste of resources.

Humans are so arrogant and hedonistic they can't see the obviousness of it.
The actual supply of crude oil and fossil fuels in pools of reserves in the Earth is NOT unlimited. Yet it is being used as though it IS unlimited.
At some time in the future human kind will run out of fossil fuels because of present day stupidity instead of adopting a far more conservative use of fossil fuels and extending their availability perhaps thousands of years into the future while simultaneously lowering emissions.
Why the hell are humans so God Damned stupid?!?!

Realistically, interstate travel for a family of 5 could be accomplished in a 75HP vehicle with a small 3 cyl engine just as timely and comfortably as a vehicle doing the exact same thing but with 300-500hp. The excess power is just human vanity and excess.
No one wants to deal with the obvious. It's too lucrative to satisfy human arrogance and excess.

Only trucks and commercial vehicles hauling cargo and certain passenger vehicles towing heavy loads need all that extra power and THAT small requirement could be met with dedicated purpose electric motors.

No, there is absolutely ZERO real desire to "save the planet". It's all a scam pulled over the eyes of the limited thinkers for the purpose of controlling you and everyone else.
Because people are not logically driven.
People are emotionally driven.
A dude wants a 600HP Mustang because he always wanted a muscle car he never could afford before now.
Look at all of the absolutely STUPID pickup trucks that are out there. I know a lot of folks here have one - sorry - they are STUPIDLY too big, too expensive and people pay STUPID money for one. I know handfuls of guys that have one, paying $800 - $1000 a month for it... and they only make $20 or so an hour. Absolutely STUPID.

I'm actually considering getting an EV when 2 conditions are met to my satisfaction.

1) I want there to be enough infrastructure that I will be able to recharge my car without any worry if I want to go from coast to coast (currently, charging stations can be pretty rare in quite a few areas of the country).

2) I want the tech in the car to be sufficiently advanced that I can get enough of a charge to get where I need to go, when I need to get there. I will accept a 30 min time for charge if I only have to do it once a day, but anything less than that, and I will continue to drive an ICE car like the Honda I currently have. And, if I'm traveling cross country, I will accept a 5 hour charge time if the hotels start to have available charging stations, because you can't drive while you're sleeping.

Current EV's don't have the requirements that I look for in a car (yet), but they are constantly improving and getting better each and every day. I mean...............compare a current EV with today's tech to what they were just 10 or 20 years ago. They've VASTLY improved. I think that if we give it another 5 years or so, the infrastructure and the reliability of EV's will be where I want them to be at.

I am NOT paying hi gasoline cost.

I do NOT worry about shit head trying to steal my catalytic converter, because I am not pumping out toxic pollutants . I do not wait in long gas lines.

I know the range of my vehicle and charge every chance I can get. With a range of between 235 - 240 Miles I can go quite a distance. I not tied to high price gas pump and bitching about the cost of gas, that's all you idiot Cons.

Tesla Model S is identical to a Ford Fusion in size and weights 4766lbs. Almost 1000lbs more.

Quit making up numbers to try to make your argument valid. Only the absolute smallest Model 3 with the least features and motors weighs 3600lbs. That car is the size of a Ford Fiesta. Which weighs about 2800lbs.
The Model S is about 100lbs heavier than my Challenger.

I drive a KIA NIRO with a range of 239-Miles. You drive a gas guzzling internal combustion engine vehicle that requires you to fill the gas tank every other week or so. I drive a zero emissions vehicle. Your pollutes the air around us.

Oh, every time I drive the ARCO in Mill Valley, looking at that long line of cars and trucks and see the cost of just one gallon of gas I laugh my ass off.

I charge my vehicle at home, in my garage. You stand in the wind, rain and snow.

Grow the fuck up.
Your electricity comes from fossil fuel.

Honda Fit has been out of production for a few years already. The only subcompacts left are Kia, Hyundai and Nissan. Nissan has the track record.

Yea, a track record of making junk.

I'd have gone for a used Fit over a Versa.

"Overall the Nissan Versa reliability is 40 and that makes it not very reliable"

See, I was in the market in 2012 and bought a Fiesta. It was great until half the radio went out 3 weeks after the warranty expired. Other than that, it's been trouble free. It does have the 5 speed though, not the horrible automatic.

I mean it's a plastic car. Just take care of it. I guess it'll last a little while. Certainly better than any EV on the market and you can buy 6 disposable Versas for the cost of one Tesla.

Last edited:
The next time I see a bunch of brain dead, fucked from the neck up MAGA MAGGOTS, bitching about the high price gas, and you know you will I will be rolling on the rolling the floor laughing my fucking ass off.

I do not have that problem. You on the other hand will be bitching and moaning at the pump and I will be driving right on by, flipping you shit birds off and loving every minute of it.

The next time I see a bunch of brain dead, fucked from the neck up MAGA MAGGOTS, bitching about the high price gas, and you know you will I will be rolling on the rolling the floor laughing my fucking ass off.

I do not have that problem. You on the other hand will be bitching and moaning at the pump and I will be driving right on by, flipping you shit birds off and loving every minute of it.

You won't be driving by anyone. You'll be sitting at a charge station for 8 hours looking like a dumbass.

And when you're doing that, I'll drive by you and wave, laughing my ass off as I get to my destination 10 hours before you do LOL

Last edited:
I drive a KIA NIRO with a range of 239-Miles. You drive a gas guzzling internal combustion engine vehicle that requires you to fill the gas tank every other week or so. I drive a zero emissions vehicle. Your pollutes the air around us.

Oh, every time I drive the ARCO in Mill Valley, looking at that long line of cars and trucks and see the cost of just one gallon of gas I laugh my ass off.

I charge my vehicle at home, in my garage. You stand in the wind, rain and snow.

Grow the fuck up.

Take it on a long road trip and tell us all about it.

And I drive by charge stations and laugh my ass off, and these people just sitting and waiting, while I'm making progress to my destination. Then after I'm done with my errands I come back and laugh even harder seeing THE SAME FUCKING CARS still plugged in!! What a joke!!

And tell me how good that POS Niro is going in 10 years when the battery is toast and I'm STILL running my ICE car down the road STILL laughing at your dumb ass!

As do all heavier cars so there really is no difference here. Tesla doesn't weigh more than other larger luxury cars.

We did this once here.
I wonder if EV's are susceptible to fires if a weapon discharges a round into the battery? If the batteries are pierced it is not good.

I rode in a Tesla with Ludicrous mode. Maybe the most incredible ride in a car ever. Step on the pedal and the car just pinned you in the seat. No fuss, no loud noise. The car remained steady, it just took off like nothing I've ever rode in and I have a vintage Gasser.

That is an experience you can have in any premium sport car. If doing that is worth $100,000+ to you about every five to ten years, go for it. How many places do you think you can drive like that before you wrap yourself around a pole though or get thrown in jail?

Meantime, the Model S rather SUCKS in looks, styling and interior features and design for a car of that price.

Forum List

Back