EPA using your money to make people take shorter showers in hotels

Did you miss our Manhattan Project
A military project, as such authorized by the Constitution.

and Space Race?
Did you miss where I pointed out that unconstitutionality often doesn't stop the government from doing something anyway?

We should be able to have fusion infrastructure in place in eight years or less.
Does "should be able to", give the govt Constitutional authority?

Your link doesn't work but I can use Google and looked it up anyway.

I don't need investment advice or opportunities ... I was asking about specific opportunities associated with fusion development and testing.
Mainly because all I ever hear about fusion is a bunch of talk ... Let us know when anyone is serious about doing something.

I read this article the other day, and the first thing I asked my wife is "who takes an 8 minute shower ?". I'm in there every bit of twenty minutes...sometimes longer.

Practicing the Art of the Husband (on Earth for now), could imply creating a demand labor by creating ecofriendly environments at the same time;

like artificial reefs, for example or ecofriendly breakwaters for recreational purposes;

or, even through fishery "islands" that can replenish endangered species for the Ark of our planet Earth.

Not a new concept at all, and in practice in a boatload f places ... Just not that popular in the States.

It is why I am advocating for multiple use ventures that can function as public sector means of production as well to generate revenue and defray that cost of government.

Did you miss our Manhattan Project
A military project, as such authorized by the Constitution.

and Space Race?
Did you miss where I pointed out that unconstitutionality often doesn't stop the government from doing something anyway?

We should be able to have fusion infrastructure in place in eight years or less.
Promoting the general welfare does :p

Your link doesn't work but I can use Google and looked it up anyway.

I don't need investment advice or opportunities ... I was asking about specific opportunities associated with fusion development and testing.
Mainly because all I ever hear about fusion is a bunch of talk ... Let us know when anyone is serious about doing something.

Don't know why the right can't find Good Capitalists. Would you like me to start a venture for that purpose?

I can always practice investing until we raise enough capital.

Last edited:
I read this article the other day, and the first thing I asked my wife is "who takes an 8 minute shower ?". I'm in there every bit of twenty minutes...sometimes longer.
if libs get their way you will be rationed.....via wireless 'smart' meters.....and if you use more you will be fined and/or charged a higher rate....

the EPA liberals 'protect' the environment by keeping MANKIND out of it as much as possible....

Don't know why the right can't find Good Capitalists. Would you like me to start a venture for that purpose?

There is plenty of good capitalism going on ... The left just doesn't understand the difference between wanting something and accomplishing something.
I thought you may have more to offer than an empty promise and windy propositions.

EPA Wants to Monitor How Long Hotel Guests Spend in the Shower

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) wants hotels to monitor how much time its guests spend in the shower.

The agency is spending $15,000 to create a wireless system that will track how much water a hotel guest uses to get them to “modify their behavior.”

“Hotels consume a significant amount of water in the U.S. and around the world,” an EPA grant to the University of Tulsa reads. “Most hotels do not monitor individual guest water usage and as a result, millions of gallons of potable water are wasted every year by hotel guests.”

“The proposed work aims to develop a novel low cost wireless device for monitoring water use from hotel guest room showers,” it said. “This device will be designed to fit most new and existing hotel shower fixtures and will wirelessly transmit hotel guest water usage data to a central hotel accounting system.”

The funding is going toward creating a prototype and market analysis for the device. The goal of the project is to change the behavior of Americans when they stay at hotels.

“This technology will provide hotel guests with the ability to monitor their daily water online or using a smartphone app and will assist hotel guest in modifying their behavior to help conserve water,” the grant said.

The project was filed under “Water conservation,” “Urban water planning,” and “Sustainable water management.”

The EPA also has a WaterSense program that challenges hotels to track their water use and upgrade their restrooms with low-flow toilets and showerheads.

The program also encourages “linen and towel reuse programs” in guest rooms.

The EPA is concerned that the average shower, which lasts just eight minutes, uses 18 gallons of water, and has asked Americans to reduce their shower length by at least one minute.

Tyler W. Johannes, Ph.D., an associate professor in the University of Tulsa’s School of Chemical Engineering who is working on the project, told the Washington Free Beacon that the researchers hope to see the technology “adopted by all major hotels and used across the country.”

He said the device seeks to get hotel guests to limit their showers to seven minutes as a start.

Johannes and his team assumed the average hotel shower lasts 8.2 minutes, using 17.2 gallons of water per guest per shower.

“Initially our device/app seeks to get hotel guests to reduce their water use by 10 percent or to reduce their showers by about one minute,” he said.

Johannes provided a link to Home Water Works, which recommends taking a five minute shower to reduce water use.

The website, which is a project of the Alliance for Water Efficiency, also suggests watering plants with discarded cold water from showers that take a long time to heat up, and taking “navy showers.”

“The method requires three steps: 1) turn on water to rinse body and hair; 2) turn off water while shampooing hair and washing body with soap and washcloth; 3) resume water flow and rinse off all shampoo and soap,” the group said. “Using this technique, the total duration of water flow can easily be reduced to 5 minutes or less.”

EPA Wants to Monitor How Long Hotel Guests Spend in the Shower Washington Free Beacon
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy shit.

Could be worse. Some businesses in Japan have an audible alarm that goes off if you spend too much time in the toilet. :)

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) wants hotels to monitor how much time its guests spend in the shower.

The agency is spending $15,000 to create a wireless system that will track how much water a hotel guest uses to get them to “modify their behavior.”

“Hotels consume a significant amount of water in the U.S. and around the world,” an EPA grant to the University of Tulsa reads. “Most hotels do not monitor individual guest water usage and as a result, millions of gallons of potable water are wasted every year by hotel guests.”

“The proposed work aims to develop a novel low cost wireless device for monitoring water use from hotel guest room showers,” it said. “This device will be designed to fit most new and existing hotel shower fixtures and will wirelessly transmit hotel guest water usage data to a central hotel accounting system.”

The funding is going toward creating a prototype and market analysis for the device. The goal of the project is to change the behavior of Americans when they stay at hotels.

“This technology will provide hotel guests with the ability to monitor their daily water online or using a smartphone app and will assist hotel guest in modifying their behavior to help conserve water,” the grant said.

The project was filed under “Water conservation,” “Urban water planning,” and “Sustainable water management.”

The EPA also has a WaterSense program that challenges hotels to track their water use and upgrade their restrooms with low-flow toilets and showerheads.

The EPA is concerned that the average shower, which lasts just eight minutes, uses 18 gallons of water, and has asked Americans to reduce their shower length by at least one minute.

Tyler W. Johannes, Ph.D., an associate professor in the University of Tulsa’s School of Chemical Engineering who is working on the project, told the Washington Free Beacon that the researchers hope to see the technology “adopted by all major hotels and used across the country.”

He said the device seeks to get hotel guests to limit their showers to seven minutes as a start.

Johannes and his team assumed the average hotel shower lasts 8.2 minutes, using 17.2 gallons of water per guest per shower.

“Initially our device/app seeks to get hotel guests to reduce their water use by 10 percent or to reduce their showers by about one minute,” he said.

Johannes provided a link to Home Water Works, which recommends taking a five minute shower to reduce water use.

The website, which is a project of the Alliance for Water Efficiency, also suggests watering plants with discarded cold water from showers that take a long time to heat up, and taking “navy showers.”

“The method requires three steps: 1) turn on water to rinse body and hair; 2) turn off water while shampooing hair and washing body with soap and washcloth; 3) resume water flow and rinse off all shampoo and soap,” the group said. “Using this technique, the total duration of water flow can easily be reduced to 5 minutes or less.”

EPA Wants to Monitor How Long Hotel Guests Spend in the Shower Washington Free Beacon

Holy shit.

Could be worse. Some businesses in Japan have an audible alarm that goes off if you spend too much time in the toilet. :)

the rationing has already started here.....notice the public sinks that dribble out water for you....?

the rationing has already started here.....notice the public sinks that dribble out water for you....?

Well ... That really depends on what part of the "public" you are in.
There are still hotel rooms that have 5 shower heads in the same shower ... And the shower is bigger than some New York apartments.

You have to be careful not to take a nap in one of those.

There are still hotel rooms that have 5 shower heads in the same shower ... And the shower is bigger than some New York apartments.

step by step.....

The bar has been raised
You will not earn this prerequisite using standard fixtures that only comply with the federal EPAct 1992. This prerequisite, first introduced in LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) 2009, raises the bar significantly.
All projects must now reduce water use by at least 20% as a prerequisite, whereas earlier versions of LEED awarded a point for a 20% reduction. The baseline against which water savings are measured has also become more demanding. The LEED 2009 baseline for commercial lavatory faucets is 0.5 gallons per minute (gpm), whereas the previous baseline was 2.5 gpm.

LEED NC-2009 WEp1 Water Use Reduction 20 Reduction LEEDuser LEED Certification Toolkit and Forum

step by step.....

The bar has been raised
You will not earn this prerequisite using standard fixtures that only comply with the federal EPAct 1992. This prerequisite, first introduced in LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) 2009, raises the bar significantly.
All projects must now reduce water use by at least 20% as a prerequisite, whereas earlier versions of LEED awarded a point for a 20% reduction. The baseline against which water savings are measured has also become more demanding. The LEED 2009 baseline for commercial lavatory faucets is 0.5 gallons per minute (gpm), whereas the previous baseline was 2.5 gpm.

LEED NC-2009 WEp1 Water Use Reduction 20 Reduction LEEDuser LEED Certification Toolkit and Forum

Lolz ... I didn't say they weren't approved faucets or showerheads in my case.
That doesn't mean that you cannot put 5 of them in close proximity within an enclosed glass area with a drain in the floor.

Duh ...

Little-Acorn said:
Promoting the general welfare does :p
Sorry, no. "Promoting the General welfare" meant enacting programs that help all Americans equally. As opposed to programs that help only certain groups (what we call "Special Interests" today).

The so-called "General Welfare Clause" is a restriction on government, saying it is authorized only to do things that help everybody equally.

Which forbids most programs, including monitoring water consumption person by person.

There is plenty of good capitalism going on ... The left just doesn't understand the difference between wanting something and accomplishing something.
I thought you may have more to offer than an empty promise and windy propositions.

Al it may require, is a petty cash fund for that purpose.

EquityNet The Leading Business Crowdfunding Platform

Any venture in particular you would like?

I know about crowd funding ... It is not new.
I know how to manage venture capitalism ... And do so when warranted.

You would have better luck investing in a college student who makes designer underwear through crowd funding ... Than any pipedream investment with the people talking about fusion energy as well as what they never produce in results.

Edit:
Make it work, beneficial to the consumer, deliver it to them ... And they will buy it.
It is just like the water shortage problem someone earlier suggested ... And whether or not the people would go to private industry or the government.

No telling where the people would rather go for someone else to fix their problem ... But I know who which entity would fix it faster without costing the taxpayer.

It is like a building project in a nearby community at a school.
They have been working on adding a small addition of simple classrooms for over a year.
In a month ... Sonic built a store, outfitted it with all the equipment, hired a complete staff and opened for business.

They still don't have the outside walls finished at the school.

Last edited:

I know about crowd funding ... It is not new.
I know how to manage venture capitalism ... And do so when warranted.

You would have better luck investing in a college student who makes designer underwear through crowd funding ... Than any pipedream investment with the people talking about fusion energy as well as what they never produce in results.

Edit:
Make it work, beneficial to the consumer, deliver it to them ... And they will buy it.
It is just like the water shortage problem someone earlier suggested ... And whether or not the people would go to private industry or the government.

No telling where the people would rather go for someone else to fix their problem ... But I know who which entity would fix it faster without costing the taxpayer.

It is like a building project in a nearby community at a school.
They have been working on adding a small addition of simple classrooms for over a year.
In a month ... Sonic built a store, outfitted it with all the equipment, hired a complete staff and opened for business.

They still don't have the outside walls finished at the school.

All it takes is money. Recourse to an official Mint helps.

Holy shit.

I fully support you taking longer showers. Please.

Forum List

Back