Leaders of upstate NY town close door on owner’s plan to house migrants in struggling hotel

They did not sneak across the border
They have pending requests for asylum and are registered with the government
Not true . Not everyone went through “ proper channels “ There are many that snuck across So ANYONE can come and claim asylum? They are ILLEGAL

Their rooms are being paid for by NYC

If the Hotel is vacant, is the town of Massena going to compensate the Hotel for loss of paying customers ?

He said the hotel has been hemorrhaging $250,000 a year because of a lack of business and claimed an influx of migrants backed by New York City funds would be a boon for Massena as well as his bottom line.
What customers? There aren't any. If there were, the owner wouldn't be trying to do this.
They are not invaders. They have legal status.

The Hotel owner has a large number of vacancies, NYC is willing to pay to fill those rooms.

It is much less expensive to house these migrants in Massena than in downtown Manhattan.

If the town wants to block him from booking guests, they should pay for the empty rooms

Probably not-this is an EXPENSIVE resort hotel. (As in: $500+/night.)

I have an idea: you should offer to house some of the illegal aliens in YOUR house!

What customers? There aren't any. If there were, the owner wouldn't be trying to do this.

Probably not-this is an EXPENSIVE resort hotel. (As in: $500+/night.)

I have an idea: you should offer to house some of the illegal aliens in YOUR house!
Those immigrants asking for asylum are paying customers
NYC is paying

A Quality Inn in Massena NY is not a luxury Resort

Leaders in a tiny upstate town Monday threw cold water on a castle-owning proprietor’s plan to convert his financially struggling hotel in the heart of their downtown into a migrant shelter.

“While I understand that the migrants are in a challenging situation in the large cities, how will the situation be improved in a small village in a small town without any municipal transportation and with limited healthcare?” Massena Town Supervisor Susan Bellor said to The Post.

Town of Massena board member Debra Willer said, “This was a complete surprise for us.

“I cannot speak for the entire board, as we have yet to discuss it as a group, but it does raise numerous questions for us,” she said.

Upstate hotel owner Gary Melius, who operates the renowned historic Oheka Castle hotel and catering hall in Huntington, Long Island, told The Post on Sunday that he has offered his Quality Inn in Massena to New York City Mayor Eric Adams’ administration to house migrants.

City Hall told The Post it is reviewing Melius’s offer to house migrants in Massena — which is in St. Lawrence County near the Canadian border and has a population of 12,000 people — in exchange for government payment.

You can’t expect to be treated like a guest when you aren’t invited.

It's a gop county so I guess they have more sense.....More like they don't want other nation's castoffs in their downtown.

They're entitled to a leprosy outbreak just as much as every other American City

Their rooms are being paid for by NYC

If the Hotel is vacant, is the town of Massena going to compensate the Hotel for loss of paying customers ?

He said the hotel has been hemorrhaging $250,000 a year because of a lack of business and claimed an influx of migrants backed by New York City funds would be a boon for Massena as well as his bottom line.

He wants the government to bail him out. No doubt the hotel needs tons of work, that the owner doesn't want to pay for, so, for him, having the feds use taxpayer dollars to bail him out, would be awesome.

For HIM.

For the town it would be a catastrophe.

He wants the government to bail him out. No doubt the hotel needs tons of work, that the owner doesn't want to pay for, so, for him, having the feds use taxpayer dollars to bail him out, would be awesome.

For HIM.

For the town it would be a catastrophe.
And, of course-the illegals will DESTROY the hotel, which, I suspect, the taxpayers will ALSO cover.

He can then quietly walk away from his white elephant with a fat payoff.

Meaning they are here legally pending disposition of their asylum request.
Why imprison people in concentration camps for requesting political asylum?
To insure they appear for their hearings and to minimize costs to the taxpayers. If they don't like the provided housing, they can remain in another country while awaiting their court dates.

Forum List

Back