Educators for DeVos??

Can educators provide a valid argument for DeVos appointment?

• Total voters
As an educator I have yet to hear any valid argument (based on facts or science) that DeVos is a good choice. Any teachers out there pro- DeVos? Please tell me why.
The teachers unions hate her so good enough for me. I got 4 kids 3 in school and see how lousy the schools do their job so I am all for her plans whatever they may be bc she can't do any worse than what we have now

As an educator I have yet to hear any valid argument (based on facts or science) that DeVos is a good choice. Any teachers out there pro- DeVos? Please tell me why.
Public school teachers, with a few exceptions, are only interested in what best serves their interests and DeVos is interested in what best serves the interests of the children, so naturally, "educators" are opposed to her.
You believe teachers are being selfish? Who becomes a teacher for selfish reasons? It is one of the most time demanding and stressful professions there are. I can't believe people agree with you also. However, I digress...How does she know what will best serve All children? Please provide me with evidence of any kind.

Simple, anyone who wants a relatively easy career where they will be off and available to be with and raise their own children.

"Relatively easy "? Are you fucking high?

Yes, relatively easy. You get paid the same whether you are good or not.

The teachers unions hate her so good enough for me. I got 4 kids 3 in school and see how lousy the schools do their job so I am all for her plans whatever they may be bc she can't do any worse than what we have now

The schools do a lousy job? Then you must be a lousy parent.

Your anti-union barrage of bullshit is off topic.

Eliminating teacher unions would be of immense help to our education problems.

National Education Association General Counsel Bob Chanin stated in July 2009.

Chanin: "It is not because we care about children. And it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power. And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues...."

Says it all, does it not?

Al Shanker, former president of the AFT (Federation of Teachers) one said that he would worry about the children when they start paying dues!

Link?

“When school children start paying union dues, that 's when I'll start representing the interests of school children.”

That notorious quote was from Albert Shanker, President of the Teachers Union (United Federation of Teachers) from 1964 to 1984 as well as President of the Teachers Union (American Federation of Teachers) from 1974 to 1997.

“When school children start paying union dues, that 's when I'll start representing the interests of school children.”

Now tell me how good are the Unions!

That is what a union does. Why does everyone bash teacher's unions for doing their jobs yet they don't say a word about the Teamsters, UAW, UMW, CWA, IBEW or any of the other thousands of unions when they represent the interests of their workers?

My Dad was a member of the IBEW for 26 years, a shop steward, and worked with management despite having a 5th grade education in the Great Depression.

Unions outlived their purpose decades ago. Since then they have done far, far more harm than good.

During the Great Depression, a fifth-grade education was common.

The schools do a lousy job? Then you must be a lousy parent.

Certainly not all government schools, but MANY. If you're realistic, you know this to be true.

Public school teachers, with a few exceptions, are only interested in what best serves their interests and DeVos is interested in what best serves the interests of the children, so naturally, "educators" are opposed to her.
You believe teachers are being selfish? Who becomes a teacher for selfish reasons? It is one of the most time demanding and stressful professions there are. I can't believe people agree with you also. However, I digress...How does she know what will best serve All children? Please provide me with evidence of any kind.

Simple, anyone who wants a relatively easy career where they will be off and available to be with and raise their own children.

More and more school systems are employing standards for teachers. If you are a poor teacher, look out for a "teacher review" meant to mentor failing teachers and could end up with dismissal.

Yes, relatively easy. ....

How many years did you work as a teacher?

We just tore down half of our school and are occupying the other half because we cannot afford the land and expense of all the football, baseball, softball, and tennis facilities. We are refurbishing the gym vice replacing it to save money. Out "teacher's lounge" has two chairs and no desks for us to work at. My planning period is spent at my rolling desk in a hallway. Most schools in this country are ancient. That price you quoted has a lot of that going into upkeep, repair, or replacement of schools. In our county, most of the schools were built in the 1940s and 50s. We have 5 K-8 schools because they are cheaper than building a middle school and the ensuing transportation problems.

The Bullies' Sacred Cow

Sports are non-educational and run at a loss. They have no place in the schools and it would save a lot of money if we eliminated that frill. It's hypocritical to ignore such an expensive indulgence. They are bad for the non-jock students, turning them into spectator couch potatoes. It's quite stupid, and an insult to the intelligent to care about the fact that the dumb jocks would lose their chance for college athletic "scholarships."

So sayeth the couch potato that never participated in sports to learn such valuable skills such as teamwork, resilience, and self-discipline.
Tell it to O.J. Simpson and Colin Qaepernick.

I don't think you know what you are trying to say.
Pretending to Not Understand Because You've Never Thought About It

I know what you're trying to say, that I should quit annoying you by exposing your conformity to an irrational status quo. And you're being hypocritical by asking the taxpayer to finance your pet frill. Let them privatize all school sports, like Little League is a substitute for our having to pay for grade-school baseball.

It's kinda sad to see people who clearly haven't gotten over childhood disappointments and lingering inferiority issues. So much insecurity.

More and more school systems are employing standards for teachers. If you are a poor teacher, look out for a "teacher review" meant to mentor failing teachers and could end up with dismissal.

Malarkey, with a teacher's union, they can't get rid of them. Plus, much of the problem is a top heavy administration. Another major problem is that there are so many single parents today as compared to forty/fifty years ago that the school is a day care center. Those students lower the bar for everyone boring the high performing student resulting in everyone being below the expected standards.

Has a Sec of Education ever had any power to change things?
Yes just for an example, Secretary Paige helped develop and then implement the "No Child Left Behind" act under the Bush administration.
Paige was one of the minority of Sec/Ed appointees who did have educational training/experience and his "one-size-fits-all" educational proposal, popularly known as "No child left behind" is a phenomenal failure.

Malarkey, with a teacher's union, they can't get rid of them. ....

That is incorrect.

Glad you asked.

I have been a licensed real estate instructor since 1990. As such, I teach all state required pre and post licensing real estate courses including real estate law, principals, and practices. For our state association, as part of our prestigious GRI designation, I teach fair housing along with office management and goal setting. I also independently teach my own fair housing seminar for continuing education credit throughout the state of Florida. In addition, I teach the Diversity course for our national association around the country. I am also a member of several professional speaker bureaus for our state association and our national association.

This is one of my hobbies. All the income from these sources goes into a separate bank account to pay my taxes from my primary income source, that of a professional Realtor since 1974.

In order for those, I am employed to teach, to be sure of my abilities, we always use evaluation forms. I get feedback and I learn from my mistakes. Here is one from a course I taught in Orlando Florida. I'm really very good and worth every penny I'm paid.

GRI%20Edited_zps2v4mdrqk.jpg

We just tore down half of our school and are occupying the other half because we cannot afford the land and expense of all the football, baseball, softball, and tennis facilities. We are refurbishing the gym vice replacing it to save money. Out "teacher's lounge" has two chairs and no desks for us to work at. My planning period is spent at my rolling desk in a hallway. Most schools in this country are ancient. That price you quoted has a lot of that going into upkeep, repair, or replacement of schools. In our county, most of the schools were built in the 1940s and 50s. We have 5 K-8 schools because they are cheaper than building a middle school and the ensuing transportation problems.

The Bullies' Sacred Cow

Sports are non-educational and run at a loss. They have no place in the schools and it would save a lot of money if we eliminated that frill. It's hypocritical to ignore such an expensive indulgence. They are bad for the non-jock students, turning them into spectator couch potatoes. It's quite stupid, and an insult to the intelligent to care about the fact that the dumb jocks would lose their chance for college athletic "scholarships."

So sayeth the couch potato that never participated in sports to learn such valuable skills such as teamwork, resilience, and self-discipline.
Tell it to O.J. Simpson and Colin Qaepernick.

I don't think you know what you are trying to say.
Pretending to Not Understand Because You've Never Thought About It

I know what you're trying to say, that I should quit annoying you by exposing your conformity to an irrational status quo. And you're being hypocritical by asking the taxpayer to finance your pet frill. Let them privatize all school sports, like Little League is a substitute for our having to pay for grade-school baseball.

I didn't say that I did not understand. I don't think YOU understand what you are trying to say.

If you want to do away with sports in your district, have at it! Run for school board with that as your platform and see if anyone votes for you. Just don't try to dictate to me what my schools will do.

Glad you asked.

I have been a licensed real estate instructor since 1990. ... I'm really very good and worth every penny I'm paid....

:lmao:

So, what high school is that real estate course in? Or was it middle school? A college perhaps?

Do you think the real estate course is relevant experience to the topic at hand and your categorical statements?

Malarkey, with a teacher's union, they can't get rid of them. Plus, much of the problem is a top heavy administration. Another major problem is that there are so many single parents today as compared to forty/fifty years ago that the school is a day care center. Those students lower the bar for everyone boring the high performing student resulting in everyone being below the expected standards.

Boy, the education bashers sure did buy into the BIG LIE! Teachers get fired all the time! Tenured, non-tenured, and probationary all get the axe.

The hardest thing now is getting tenure because schools just give you a great evaluation and then do not renew your contract. That happened to me last year. They don't want to pay a teacher with 20 years experience when they can get some hot young thing right out of college to teach for less than half the cost.

So, that is all that you are going to ask him? Aren't you going to defend the good tescher, yet acknowledge there ineffective as well?

You are defining all single parents as poor family units. That is not the case. If you were a teacher, you would see that many single parents do very well by their children. You don't know what kind of marriage the parents had. Those that have abused spouses, alcoholic fathers or fraught with drug addiction were better off without the tormentor there.

Last edited:

Glad you asked.

I have been a licensed real estate instructor since 1990. As such, I teach all state required pre and post licensing real estate courses including real estate law, principals, and practices. For our state association, as part of our prestigious GRI designation, I teach fair housing along with office management and goal setting. I also independently teach my own fair housing seminar for continuing education credit throughout the state of Florida. In addition, I teach the Diversity course for our national association around the country. I am also a member of several professional speaker bureaus for our state association and our national association.

This is one of my hobbies. All the income from these sources goes into a separate bank account to pay my taxes from my primary income source, that of a professional Realtor since 1974.

In order for those, I am employed to teach, to be sure of my abilities, we always use evaluation forms. I get feedback and I learn from my mistakes. Here is one from a course I taught in Orlando Florida. I'm really very good and worth every penny I'm paid.

GRI%20Edited_zps2v4mdrqk.jpg

Am I correct in assuming you are teaching adults that want to be there?

Forum List

Back