Education

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Is not an easy field to work in. There are many challenges, demands, unreasonable expectations, in some places physical dangers, and little pay. But it is one of the essential services in society. It is a calling, a commitment, and a life of service that some are suited to and some are not. Being vilified and subjected to absurd and illogical attacks doesn't help. But it's got to be done so those who can, will. By all means, expunge the crazy-ass aberrations that the media tries to present as the norm.

Is not an easy field to work in. There are many challenges, demands, unreasonable expectations, in some places physical dangers, and little pay. But it is one of the essential services in society. It is a calling, a commitment, and a life of service that some are suited to and some are not. Being vilified and subjected to absurd and illogical attacks doesn't help. But it's got to be done so those who can, will. By all means, expunge the crazy-ass aberrations that the media tries to present as the norm.

That's true, to an extent.

As I stated in other posts like this, not all people who become teachers, become teachers for the reasons you think. And like the positions of Doctor, Nurse, and Priest/Rabbi/Preacher/etc.. get immediately put on exalted pedestals, and a LOT of these people are not all altruistic with these positions.

More often than not, as the stories have been coming to light the past few years, MANY of these "teachers" have become "teachers" to CONVERT YOUR KIDS to THEIR ways! Regardless of that way being a sex toy for a pedophile "teacher", a punching bag for a "teachers" personal abuse, or just getting a paycheck for sitting at the head of a class and doing nothing. If anything at all, the videos these people have put on TikTok over the past few years is absolute proof of that.

Like any job, like any employee anywhere you have to deal with, you have to take these people on their personal abilities, morals (if they have any), knowledge, and capability to actually teach another human being.........NOT basing everything on the misconception of them just being a Teacher.

The same sorts of things could be said for, say, government employees. Most of them go to work with the intention of doing something good for society, they generally make less than their counterparts in comparable jobs in the private economy, and they are often criticized unfairly over factors and events over which they have no control.

But a few things should be be noted on the other hand:
  • Teachers' UNIONS are responsible for many of the problems that are associated with public education, most recently the irrational and incalculably harmful decision to keep "our kids" our of the classroom for much of the last two years.
  • The academic credentials of public school teachers would generally not qualify them for highly-paid positions in the private sector. Virtually no teachers have demonstrated academic accomplishments in undergrad school that are comparable to an engineering degree. A degree in "Education" is on par with - I don't know - Ethnic/Gender Studies.
  • To say that teachers are underpaid is, like ALL generalizations, sometimes true and sometimes false. As I have noted elsewhere in this forum, almost half the teachers in my own public school district make six figure salaries.
  • Some of the benefits associated with teaching are virtually unheard of in the private sector. Retirement after thirty years? 10 weeks off in the Summer, plus many assorted holidays between September and June? Full medical benefits while working and after (until Medicare kicks in)? Pretty sweet deal.
  • Teachers' unions play a large role in creating unreasonable barriers to entry for anyone wishing to transition from another profession to teaching. In most cases, it is necessary to go a year with no compensation, and start teaching at the bottom of the scale, regardless of credentials. The illustration I think is best is to note that Albert Einstein could not have qualified to teach HS math in New Jersey were he alive and 50 years old today.
  • A great teacher is worth a monstrous level of compensation; a poor one - who usually can never be fired - is worth less than nothing.

i admire Teachers. they are overworked and underpaid. decades ago, teachers accepted the low salary in exchange for a great pension. now, teachers have no pension waiting for them and low pay.

Geez.............took you long enough! :p

d4lt4zl-49b4654f-2e4c-4fb6-9c08-983596c17f12.gif

i admire Teachers. they are overworked and underpaid. decades ago, teachers accepted the low salary in exchange for a great pension. now, teachers have no pension waiting for them and low pay.
37 years of teaching
My State may be drastically different than Mississippi.

I don’t consider that I’m underpaid.
The last 10 years my State caught up.
I’m happy with the pay.
Not rich but certainly not poor.

I do have a pension.
I will get $2,800 per month for life starting July 31st. Retired June 30th.
Then I saved and have my own plan(s).

Those that don’t save, shame on them
But every vetted teacher in my State is eligible for a pension.

37 years of teaching
My State may be drastically different than Mississippi.

I don’t consider that I’m underpaid.
The last 10 years my State caught up.
I’m happy with the pay.
Not rich but certainly not poor.

I do have a pension.
I will get $2,800 per month for life starting July 31st. Retired June 30th.
Then I saved and have my own plan(s).

Those that don’t save, shame on them
But every vetted teacher in my State is eligible for a pension.
I was under the impression from the Media that teachers are not being offered a pension anymore.

Forum List

Back