Education

Unkotare is not a native English speaker. Let's give him a break.
I am a native English speaker, and possess a greater facility with the language and many other languages than you ever will.

I’ve seen a theory that the decline in K-12 education began after women’s lib opened up professions formerly dominated by men

Previously highly qualified women went into teaching and were a credit and an asset

Now they are gone and less qualified people have takrn thrir place

That does not explain all the decline in education but does cover some of it

I pity the teachers who work in the states where their compensation is determined by the state legislatures. An acquaintance of mine is a retired teacher from Louisiana and he recently got the first increase in his retirement check in TEN YEARS: $50/month.

The Department of Education should do a national survey of teacher compensation, and publish a recommended compensation package that could be adjusted for local cost of living factors. It would not be binding, of course, but teachers around the country would at least have that ammunition when discussing compensation with the Powers.

Is not an easy field to work in. There are many challenges, demands, unreasonable expectations, in some places physical dangers, and little pay. But it is one of the essential services in society. It is a calling, a commitment, and a life of service that some are suited to and some are not. Being vilified and subjected to absurd and illogical attacks doesn't help. But it's got to be done so those who can, will. By all means, expunge the crazy-ass aberrations that the media tries to present as the norm.

Is not an easy field to work in. There are many challenges, demands, unreasonable expectations, in some places physical dangers, and little pay. But it is one of the essential services in society. It is a calling, a commitment, and a life of service that some are suited to and some are not. Being vilified and subjected to absurd and illogical attacks doesn't help. But it's got to be done so those who can, will. By all means, expunge the crazy-ass aberrations that the media tries to present as the norm.
Many are addressing those challenges, by quitting.

Last edited:
Not the ones who really care. Sometimes those are the students who need a teacher who gives a shit the most.
Acting out in any antisocial way was not tolerated when I was in school. Today it is tolerated, with predictable results. We also had few younger teachers. Most were older, no-nonsense, 'battle-hardened' women and men.

Today there is a national crises of teachers quitting.
DEI boards are a cancer within the system that destroys good teachers/staff with their Gestapo tactics.
My sister-in-law is a school administrator in one of the largest school systems in America
She has been working in education for 17 years. For the past 15 she has been working primarily in "education improvement".
Something she used to enjoy. Her primary role and job was finding ways to best teach kids. Seeing what other systems do that work well etc. etc.
She hates her job now. The DEI board has basically rendered her job useless.

That's true, to an extent.

As I stated in other posts like this, not all people who become teachers, become teachers for the reasons you think. And like the positions of Doctor, Nurse, and Priest/Rabbi/Preacher/etc.. get immediately put on exalted pedestals, and a LOT of these people are not all altruistic with these positions.

More often than not, as the stories have been coming to light the past few years, MANY of these "teachers" have become "teachers" to CONVERT YOUR KIDS to THEIR ways! Regardless of that way being a sex toy for a pedophile "teacher", a punching bag for a "teachers" personal abuse, or just getting a paycheck for sitting at the head of a class and doing nothing. If anything at all, the videos these people have put on TikTok over the past few years is absolute proof of that.

Like any job, like any employee anywhere you have to deal with, you have to take these people on their personal abilities, morals (if they have any), knowledge, and capability to actually teach another human being.........NOT basing everything on the misconception of them just being a Teacher.
I grew up in the 60's. My Marxist Communist democrat friends never ceased to remind me that they were going to take over education, the news media, Hollywood and the government. They urged me to apply for food stamps. I asked where all the money was coming from. They said the government. Oh? I checked my pay stub and it showed my money was going to the government. Thank you Comrade Brandon.

So here's the 'monkey wrench' (adjustable spanner to you Anglophiles) to this whole issue.
Gist of this article/link is that key to education begins Early, often before birth, and with the parent(s) teaching the child.

The Best Ages for Kids to Learn to Read, Speak New Languages, and Other Skills

Parenting a new human means making sure they have all the skills they need to thrive. But that can be a stressful proposition—not least because of all the conflicting advice out there.

EXCERPTS;
Parenting a new human means making sure they have all the skills they need to thrive. But that can be a stressful proposition—not least because of all the conflicting advice out there. When should kids start reading? How can parents best help them learn multiple languages? How early should a child learn to swim or play sports?

There’s no universally perfect age or method for introducing a kid to new physical or intellectual pursuits, but that doesn’t mean the timing doesn’t matter. We asked experts when and how caregivers should bring new hobbies and life skills into a child’s sphere.

The best age to learn a second language (or a third one)​

Hoping to raise a polyglot? Get them started on speaking new languages as early as you can.

When it comes to learning how to speak a language, children start picking up bits and pieces while they are still in the womb, says Daniel Yurovsky, an assistant professor of psychology at Carnegie Mellon University. Because of this, “there’s no reason to wait on introducing a child to another language,” he explains.

An early start is especially important for identifying and mastering pronunciations that are not common in a child’s native tongue. Distinguishing small differences between sounds becomes more difficult around age five or six, Yurovsky says, as we become set in the vocalizations we’re accustomed to. “The rolled ‘r’ in Spanish, for example, does not appear in English, so a child learning only English will eventually let that sound go,” he explains.

This calibration, Yurovsky says, allows us to make room for a more advanced understanding of the language structures we do use.

This idea also applies to grammar structures like gendered nouns. A native English speaker learning French is not accustomed to rules that require different articles in front of a noun depending on its “gender,” because English doesn’t work that way. The longer we spend speaking just one language, the more accustomed we get to its particular structures—and the harder it becomes to adapt to a new one.
~~~~~~~~
As you might guess, most everything else in the article has starts way before school starting ages.

Also note the part I highlighted in red. With "gender" in the USA(English) gathering a slithery definition including shifting boundaries, trying to apply such to proper speaking of French may have garbled results. Then again, perhaps French might yield a solution and simplification much needed.

Today there is a national crises of teachers quitting.
DEI boards are a cancer within the system that destroys good teachers/staff with their Gestapo tactics.
My sister-in-law is a school administrator in one of the largest school systems in America
She has been working in education for 17 years. For the past 15 she has been working primarily in "education improvement".
Something she used to enjoy. Her primary role and job was finding ways to best teach kids. Seeing what other systems do that work well etc. etc.
She hates her job now. The DEI board has basically rendered her job useless.
I find that private and religious schools dont have a retention problem? The teachers there dont get paid as much as a public indoctrination educator, could it be that the private/religious teachers have the school board protecting their backs along with parent participation since they have to pay out of pocket? You betcha. That is why those schools put out a much better quality student also. Parent participation.

Forum List

Back