Dr. Jill Biden?

Many folks were led to believe that Jill was a real doctor as in the media constantly referred to her as a doctor.

Now we are see many finding out she is not a real doctor....oh she has a phd from school in delaware.....yet how many with a Phd demand they be called doctor? I know a few and none of them are referred to as a doctor nor do they demand they be referred to as a doctor,

It is a insult to the medical community to call Jill a doctor.

Dr. Biden is a real doctor. She's not a medical doctor, but them neither is my friend in Montreal who is a published research PhD whose studies on Alzheimer's patients are currently being published in peer reviewed journals. He has a PhD in psychology, and no one has ever once suggested he isn't a "real" doctor.

Dentists, psychologists, and veterinarians are all called Doctor too, and none of them are medical doctors. Their PhD's are in other fields as is Dr. Biden's degree. My male PhD friends have no problem getting people to call them "Dr.". Female PhD's who are not medical doctors have their hard work and credentials questioned all of the time.

Thank you for proving your misogyny, yet again.
Oooh thanks arrogant uber educated libber for chastising us and working in another of your stupid big words there at the end.

I'll bet if I complained I had never gotten anywhere in life, you would have said I should have gotten an education. I've spent my entire life getting an education. I started learning before I started school, and continue to this day studying, and learning new things, new words, and new concepts.

Conservatives think they know everything, and just stop trying to challenge their closely held beliefs, or taking on new ideas. I'll be learning until the day I die.
We are all impressed by your learned past, but have you ever worked a day in your life?

God, I have little tolerance for dingbats!

Dragonlady has proved herself through her many posts that she's anything but a dingbat, but I can truly believe you're a meat head.
My God you people are liars.

Many folks were led to believe that Jill was a real doctor as in the media constantly referred to her as a doctor.

Now we are see many finding out she is not a real doctor....oh she has a phd from school in delaware.....yet how many with a Phd demand they be called doctor? I know a few and none of them are referred to as a doctor nor do they demand they be referred to as a doctor,

I don't really care that she's so insecure she feels the need to be referred to as "doctor", but it worries me that we have Democrats, like Whoopi Goldberg, who are SO retarded they want Jill Biden to be appointed Surgeon General. That type of ignorance is much more dangerous than a pretentious old lady whose only real job now is covering for her brain-damaged husband.

"Pretentious old lady"???? How curious. A woman who has worked hard for accomplishments and credentials is "pretentious" for using the honorific she earned. The current First Lady claimed a degree she never earned, and a linguistic ability she has never displayed, and yet Republicans celebrate her as both highly educated and multi-lingual.

Of course they also called the Ivy League educated Michelle Obama, a man, so they're delusional. I guess can hardly expect these idiots to treat Dr. Biden any better.

Outside of an academic setting, yes, it's pretentious to demand you be called "doctor" when you are not a medical doctor. And I doubt she worked particularly hard for her modest accomplishments. She's a wealthy white woman from a privileged family, she very likely has no idea what actual hard work is.

Isn't that statement in itself a bit pretentious?

The first usage of the title "Dr." was not medical. It was an ACADEMIC title given to the first graduates with a Doctorate in the 13th century, from the Universities of Paris and Bologna in Europe. From there it spread around the world to indicate someone who had achieved a doctorate. That is its origin. Medical practitioners were often referred to as "Mr.".

This slam on Jill Biden is really pretty low. You can argue about the value of a degree, but in most cases achieving a doctorate in any field requires a lot of hard work and time. Slamming her for it is just a sign of the right's utter disdain for education. :(
You are all up in a stink about it, and she is the one who went on with Colbert to whine. To regular Americans she is just another pretentious uber elitist.

I don't really care that she's so insecure she feels the need to be referred to as "doctor", but it worries me that we have Democrats, like Whoopi Goldberg, who are SO retarded they want Jill Biden to be appointed Surgeon General. That type of ignorance is much more dangerous than a pretentious old lady whose only real job now is covering for her brain-damaged husband.

"Pretentious old lady"???? How curious. A woman who has worked hard for accomplishments and credentials is "pretentious" for using the honorific she earned. The current First Lady claimed a degree she never earned, and a linguistic ability she has never displayed, and yet Republicans celebrate her as both highly educated and multi-lingual.

Of course they also called the Ivy League educated Michelle Obama, a man, so they're delusional. I guess can hardly expect these idiots to treat Dr. Biden any better.

Michelle Obama has never been a lightweight. Princeton, then Harvard Law. The misogyny among right-wingers is frightening. Look what they are trying to do to the Vice President-elect.

Every day here, some asshat tells me to "shut up and make me a sandwich". They dismiss anyone in politics who is bright and talented unless they're a white male Repulican. They'll give an occasion woman a SC seat, as long she's not going to stand up for minority or women's rights.

Toxic white male culture.

Michelle Obama has never been a lightweight. Princeton, then Harvard Law. The misogyny among right-wingers is frightening. Look what they are trying to do to the Vice President-elect.

Every day here, some asshat tells me to "shut up and make me a sandwich". They dismiss anyone in politics who is bright and talented unless they're a white male Repulican. They'll give an occasion woman a SC seat, as long she's not going to stand up for minority or women's rights.

So that's how Injun Joe got nominated by Biden.....she was truly the most talented person of anyone in the US for that position. I wonder what stringent qualifications test she had to pass.

Just about all of them. It's alot of work to get there. I knew a physicist named ernie that did not care what you called him but ya kinda rare. They call it a doctoral for a reason.

I've known a large number of people who have had doctorates, including a lot of medical doctors, owing mostly to the fact that I used to work for the University of Arizona. Most of them didn't make a big deal out of it; those that did also happened to be assholes in general. This was not a coincidence.

I understand that Jill herself tells the story that she got the doctorate because she was offended that mail always came to their house addressed to "Senator and Mrs. Biden". If so, I respect her even less.
Not like they cared at the bowling alley or just running around but ya at work. They cared. Of course I am sort of the wallowitz of the group might just be trying to get my goat. Don't bother me either way.

As I recall, most of them at work were just as happy to be addressed as "Professor" as they were "Doctor", even though that title applied to anyone who was teaching there, regardless of degree. I do agree that honorifics at work are a different matter (although I still don't respect people who make a big deal about how they MUST have it).

People who demand honorifics outside of a professional atmosphere? I always end up thinking of Dr. Evil: "I didn't spend seven years in evil medical school to be addressed as Mister!"

Outside of an academic setting, yes, it's pretentious to demand you be called "doctor" when you are not a medical doctor. And I doubt she worked particularly hard for her modest accomplishments. She's a wealthy white woman from a privileged family, she very likely has no idea what actual hard work is.

The first usage of the title "Dr." was not medical. It was an ACADEMIC title given to the first graduates with a Doctorate in the 13th century, from the Universities of Paris and Bologna in Europe. From there it spread around the world to indicate someone who had achieved a doctorate. That is its origin. Medical practitioners were often referred to as "Mr.".

This slam on Jill Biden is really pretty low. You can argue about the value of a degree, but in most cases achieving a doctorate in any field requires a lot of hard work and time. Slamming her for it is just a sign of the right's utter disdain for education. :(
You are all up in a stink about it, and she is the one who went on with Colbert to whine. To regular Americans she is just another pretentious uber elitist.

To "regular Americans" she's a well educated and accomplished woman. To white male supremacists, shes a threat, to be minimized, denigrated and insulted. Regular Americans are shocked and appalled at your treatment of Democratic First Ladies.

Rosalind Carter was too "homespun", wearing her homemade dress to the Inauguration. Hillary Clinton thought she had a role in government. Who elected her? Michelle Obama was a man. Now Dr. Biden is "pretentious old lady".

You're a hypocritical asshole.

Yup. Pretentious old lady. Just like you, constantly demanding that everyone notice you as a female because it isn't readily obvious, and you're an embarrassment to vaginas everywhere.

DEMANDING it at all is pretentious, and makes you look petty and insecure. People who have a genuine sense of accomplishment and competency don't usually feel the need to take out a billboard ad lauding themselves.

She can call herself doctor if she has a phd. Who cares? Just don't take medical advice from her.

So that's how Injun Joe got nominated by Biden.....she was truly the most talented person of anyone in the US for that position. I wonder what stringent qualifications test she had to pass.

My dear friend in New Mexico says Deb Haaland is the best House Representative she has ever had in her entire adult life, and she's nearly 60. That may be part of it.

You assumptiono that those who aren't white and male are unqualified is both stupid and false. But then you voted for Donald Trump so you're definitely not one of God's brighter lights.

To "regular Americans" she's a well educated and accomplished woman. To white male supremacists, shes a threat, to be minimized, denigrated and insulted. Regular Americans are shocked and appalled at your treatment of Democratic First Ladies.

Rosalind Carter was too "homespun", wearing her homemade dress to the Inauguration. Hillary Clinton thought she had a role in government. Who elected her? Michelle Obama was a man. Now Dr. Biden is "pretentious old lady".

Wait, you left out your treatment of our current First Lady. I couldn't care less about Biden, she can call herself whatever she wants. Moochelle tried to lecture everyone on what to eat and totally messed up kids meals at school....she is an idiot. If Biden appreciates the right of people to choose what they want to do or act then i have no problem with her. And you are a liberal which is the worst kind of thing to be.

At least she is not a sex object nude model who married a man as old as her dad.
The attack in Jill Biden for her title is unwarranted. You don’t do your side any favors by lowering yourself to personal attacks on a woman who by all accounts has been a good person.

Oh, for pity's sake, no one "attacked" her. The guy expressed an opinion, which was that it's a douchebag move to insist on being addressed with that honorific, and also confusing when one isn't a medical doctor. He's correct about both, and he's also entitled to have and express the opinion. The REAL attack here was the left freaking the fuck out and demanding that the op-ed be pulled and the editor of the op-ed page issue copious apologies for allowing an opinion they didn't like to be expressed.

Way to counteract the accusation of "pretentious douchebag" on their part.

when I said “attack in Jill Biden”, I wasn’t really referring to the original op-Ed. I was talking about all the poo flinging going on.
but you’re right, attack is too strong of a word.
but regardless of what it’s called, i find it retarded that it’s even a topic of discussion. The guy in the op-Ed his opinion... ok cool. I personally think it’s kinda lame to insist people call you “doctor”. But if that’s what she wants (or anybody), then that’s her prerogative.
And I say this as someone who doesn’t insist on being called “doctor”, but I address anyone with that title as doctor.

I didn't TELL you to shut up. I asked if you had ever considered that the best thing you could do for a cause is to NOT speak about it. Since anything you support is automatically ignorant garbage, far be it from me to stop you from advocating it right into the trash can.

Way to reveal that your "I have so many educated friends, and I just know so much about everything" facade hides an illiterate nothing.

My dear friend in New Mexico says Deb Haaland is the best House Representative she has ever had in her entire adult life, and she's nearly 60. That may be part of it.

You assumptiono that those who aren't white and male are unqualified is both stupid and false. But then you voted for Donald Trump so you're definitely not one of God's brighter lights.
No thats YOUR point. Mine is these current selections are being made simply for the selectees race and/or minority status with no selection process in place.

Yeah, we need your senile foreign ass to tell us what "regular Americans" thousands of miles away from you are really thinking. I'm sure you have your finger on the pulse of other people's societies.

To regular Americans, she's just some chick whose husband was dubiously proclaimed President. They don't know jack about her, and probably didn't know she had any degree at all until she started pitching her little pissy fit about it.

The title Dr. is commonly used in Central Europe for those who are PhD's. In the US it is not and considered a bit pompous. One of the few who used it was Henry Kissinger, but then he is from Central Europe.

And noticeably, he was almost never referred to by that title in the media.

For that matter, the media rarely ever refers to Ben Carson as "Dr. Carson", and he actually IS a medical doctor.

So no, I'll take a hard pass on verbally genuflecting to the new First Shrew.
Specifically a neural surgeon if I remember correctly.
Correct. Pediatric neurosurgeon

DEMANDING it at all is pretentious, and makes you look petty and insecure. People who have a genuine sense of accomplishment and competency don't usually feel the need to take out a billboard ad lauding themselves.

Dr. Biden isn't the one who wrote an op ed column in the Wall Street Journal seeking to promote herself. It's the educated women of America who are rising up to defend her. You're clearly not one of them, but then you're always on the side of the misogynists and those who want to see women lose their rights.

People whose accomplishments others seek to denigrate and minimize are often given platforms by Rupert Murdoch to do so. And the weak minded and venal will always side with the right wing Billionaire Media.

Yeah, we need your senile foreign ass to tell us what "regular Americans" thousands of miles away from you are really thinking. I'm sure you have your finger on the pulse of other people's societies.

To regular Americans, she's just some chick whose husband was dubiously proclaimed President. They don't know jack about her, and probably didn't know she had any degree at all until she started pitching her little pissy fit about it.
...on late night tv

Dr. Biden isn't the one who wrote an op ed column in the Wall Street Journal seeking to promote herself. It's the educated women of America who are rising up to defend her. You're clearly not one of them, but then you're always on the side of the misogynists and those who want to see women lose their rights.

People whose accomplishments others seek to denigrate and minimize are often given platforms by Rupert Murdoch to do so. And the weak minded and venal will always side with the right wing Billionaire Media.
Oh spare us your whiny banter....all you uber educated women of America rose up to elect an old, senile, dementia patient white guy to be president.....sure you did.

Forum List

Back