Don’t Go To College !

I don’t have a problem with saying some people should go to college and some people shouldn’t.

But look at the thread title.
Right? Yeah, this is the dumbest thread from PC I've seen in quite some time (and that says a LOT).
College isn't for everybody, but if one chooses not to go even to a 2 year trade school, the odds are NOT on their side.

Just curious do you ever use ruby on Rails? If you select MySQL as your database it uses SQLite by default.
No, we do not. We are Microsoft SQL Server shop with some other DBMS expertise, such as Oracle, DB2, etc. We don't specialize in application software, though we will provide assistance if the client needs it. All of our DBA's are considered senior enough that we know where we can help and where we can't.

Oh, I disagree with the thread title as written. I can understand saying not to go to college until you've considered all the alternatives, the cost and the work involved, but I would not as a blanket statement say to not go. It's neither the total waste of time nor the only route to success as some seem to be touting.
I think the statistics speak for themselves. Going to college and getting a degree dramatically increases your chances of economic success.

I think the right has been attacking higher education for years now (Limbaugh notably) and the results are that college educated voters are fleeing the Republican Party.

It's accredited. Sounds like a college can be an indoctrination center, though, which is one of the beefs in the OP, is it not?
It is REGIONALLY accredited by kooky red states. It probably IS true however that one is more likely to be sexually abused at Liberty.

No, we do not. We are Microsoft SQL Server shop with some other DBMS expertise, such as Oracle, DB2, etc. We don't specialize in application software, though we will provide assistance if the client needs it. All of our DBA's are considered senior enough that we know where we can help and where we can't.
May I ask are you familiar with C* or Golang?

I think the statistics speak for themselves. Going to college and getting a degree dramatically increases your chances of economic success.

I think the right has been attacking higher education for years now (Limbaugh notably) and the results are that college educated voters are fleeing the Republican Party.
That, of course, depends on your major. As has been pointed out ad nauseum, there are degrees that cost big bucks and are worthless. The point is to be smart, think ahead, and keep an open mind on the options, things Republicans are good at doing. They don't just have a knee jerk, college is always best for everyone mantra.

May I ask are you familiar with C* or Golang?
Again, those are programming languages. We specialize in database administration, which means we're the guys keeping that database going that you're connecting to from your languages. We're also the guys telling you to stop writing such bad queries and dogging down a massive server.

Again, those are programming languages. We specialize in database administration, which means we're the guys keeping that database going that you're connecting to from your languages. We're also the guys telling you to stop writing such bad queries and dogging down a massive server.
Understood. I come from a security and programming background.

You can't keep somebody dumb and poor if they know what they want and don't give up trying to get it. Pretending the only way to be smart and successful is a 4 year degree is foolish.
Pretending that a college education is bad is beyond foolish

That, of course, depends on your major. As has been pointed out ad nauseum, there are degrees that cost big bucks and are worthless. The point is to be smart, think ahead, and keep an open mind on the options, things Republicans are good at doing. They don't just have a knee jerk, college is always best for everyone mantra.
Disagree.

College shouldn’t always be looked at as job training. It’s not fancy technical school. It’s college. A liberal arts education teaches skills that are broadly applicable to many situations through analysis and synthesis of concepts.

If Republicans are so good at keeping an open mind, explain the OP.

Pretending that a college education is bad is beyond foolish
It is bad if you are saddled with an enormous debt that you struggle for years to pay because you can't utilize your degree. That's why I refuse the broad brush, "It's the best thing ever", "It's the worst thing ever" approach when it comes to college.

The reason I asked about Golang is because much malware is written in Go. Cyber security tools often do not recognize it so if you can't read it you could have malware and not know.

It is bad if you are saddled with an enormous debt that you struggle for years to pay because you can't utilize your degree. That's why I refuse the broad brush, "It's the best thing ever", "It's the worst thing ever" approach when it comes to college.
I agree in general.

You must think the Op is a retard then

Disagree.

College shouldn’t always be looked at as job training. It’s not fancy technical school. It’s college. A liberal arts education teaches skills that are broadly applicable to many situations through analysis and synthesis of concepts.

If Republicans are so good at keeping an open mind, explain the OP.
True on its face, but for whom is a liberal arts degree valuable, the young person trying to get into a lifelong career without loading on crippling debt so he can provide for a family or a trust fund baby who wants to think great thoughts but doesn't want to struggle to provide?

As for your waddaboudism, it is hardly kosher to hold an entire party to the standard of one person on the basis of one thread title. I mean, I could find any number of high ranking democrats who display very closed (and very ignorant) minds and demand that you explain how democrats are open minded. This OP made a strong case for the negative aspects of pursuing a college degree, complete with documentation.

I agree in general.

You must think the Op is a retard then
No, I do not. I think the OP made a strong case complete with documentation about the negative aspects of pursuing a college degree, and is something that a lot of high school seniors should be required to contemplate before jumping in.

True on its face, but for whom is a liberal arts degree valuable, the young person trying to get into a lifelong career without loading on crippling debt so he can provide for a family or a trust fund baby who wants to think great thoughts but doesn't want to struggle to provide?

As for your waddaboudism, it is hardly kosher to hold an entire party to the standard of one person on the basis of one thread title. I mean, I could find any number of high ranking democrats who display very closed (and very ignorant) minds and demand that you explain how democrats are open minded. This OP made a strong case for the negative aspects of pursuing a college degree, complete with documentation.
The OP is but one example. There is a culture among the right that is attacking higher education. It’s been going on for decades. Limbaugh did it at length with childish bullying techniques.

As for liberal arts degrees, a good friend is extremely successful after having gotten a degree in Russian literature. I won’t reveal a ton of her personal detail but she got an entry level position and used her talent to rise quite high in the corporate structure.

The OP is but one example. There is a culture among the right that is attacking higher education. It’s been going on for decades. Limbaugh did it at length with childish bullying techniques.

As for liberal arts degrees, a good friend is extremely successful after having gotten a degree in Russian literature. I won’t reveal a ton of her personal detail but she got an entry level position and used her talent to rise quite high in the corporate structure.
And that's wonderful for her. I would wager that, first, she is brilliant and hard driven and thus would likely succeed in any endeavor, and second, would have made even better use of a business degree in the corporate world. I would share an anecdote of my own. A certain brother in law of mine never finished high school. I don't know if he ever got a GED or not. At any rate, he apprenticed himself to a cabinet maker for two years at very low pay just to learn the trade. Skip ahead a few years and he owns an extremely successful custom counter top and flooring store. The point is, anecdotes don't prove the point but can illustrate it. In both of these cases, the person involved used the tools they had at their disposal to became successful.

Now, as for attacking higher education, that is quite foolish, because if you will notice, there are many conservatives making use of degrees in the hard sciences, so they're not attacking "higher education". What they are attacking are high priced degrees rife with leftist indoctrination that saddle graduates with enormous debt they will spend years trying to pay off and that do them no good in the job market. Here's a challenge for you. Find "conservatives" who are, or in the case of Rush, were attacking higher education in the hard sciences like physics, math, engineering, computer science, biology, etc. I would like to see that list.

Colleges give a well rounded education. No matter what field, you have to take other courses as well. I constantly hear English majors complain about having to take math, and math majors complain about having to take English.

But in the end, that well rounded education makes you suitable for a wide range of jobs, and not just the single "tech" field you learn in trade school. After all, look how many people learned typesetting, or COBOL thinking they had a bright future.
I took all the junk classes, math,science,english etc...I am talking about learning ANYTHING about political science which is what my major is. I haven't learned anything I couldn't have learned on the job. But as I said if that's what it takes to get a decent job then so be it.

A better idea.

1.Lots of reasons not to go to college these days. One glaring one is that they don’t teach….they indoctrinate. Any subject other than real science or math is a waste of time, money and neurons.

Liberalism/Progressivism/Wokeism are all proven lies and failure….but look at the various subjects and who is teaching them:

View attachment 558955
That's the ratio of Leftist profs versus Right.
Homogenous: The Political Affiliations of Elite Liberal Arts College Faculty by Mitchell Langbert | NAS

Note the ration in engineering and math.

2. And this reason to avoid the madrassas….universities: debt, just what the government wants you to have....

In the United States, student debt has grown significantly over the past several decades. The Federal Reserve estimates that in quarter two of 2021, Americans owed a startling $1.73 trillion in student loans.Sep 9, 2021
America has $1.73 trillion in student debt—borrowers ... - CNBC

Those wishing for big government to bail them out vote the same way Obama told illegal aliens to vote, and for the same reason.

While I have had the privilege of attending the best schools in the world, the greatest part, and most important part, of my education came from my own reading and efforts.
Reading.....the missing element for Liberals and Democrats.
And thinking is hardly an important part of college these days: look at the number of Biden voters who have attended college.

3. What is the reason that college is even important to anyone???
It is the only documentation prospective employers can use.

When employers could determine who they wished to employ, they used IQ tests and other exams. That is no longer legal, so as to avoid litigation, they ask if you went to college.

“…Judge Robert F. Peckham [LBJ appointee] and his landmark 1979 ruling. Peckham had barred California public schools from using standardized IQ tests for determining whether academically struggling black students should be placed in special classes for the mildly mentally retarded. Siding with black parents and others who sought to stop the practice, Peckham found that the commonly used tests were racially and culturally biased and resulted in large numbers of blacks being wrongly labeled as retarded and consigned to “dead-end” programs.”
Court Ban on IQ Tests for Blacks Sparks Parents' Suit : Education: Plaintiffs say the ruling discriminates against minority students. Others contend it protects them from testing that is racially and culturally biased.

When too many minority students faced arrest and prison for criminality, Obama did exactly the same thing Peckham did……he disallowed the arrests. That’s why Nikolas Cruz wasn’t arrested and passed a background check to get the rifle he used to kill 17 innocents.

Facing reality isn’t part of the Democrat code…..lying is.

And, how far from excellence our colleges have fallen?

A brilliant wonk gave the alternative to being indoctrinated, and accruing a mountain of student loan debt, how to get the benefits of college without the burden.

Next post.

Proven lies is it? Well that's where your ignorance shows. That's a blatant lie.

When people like you make ridiculous claims I can see quite clearly your time at school was completely wasted.

Forum List

Back