Don’t Go To College !

Having a degree looks good on a resume but I never went because i got the training i needed in the IDF. I work for Dell Technologies now as full stack developer.

7. Let's remember what could be and should be, if we could remove all Democrats from power in the colleges.

… John Ellison, dean of students in the College at the University of Chicago, in his welcoming letter to the class of 2020:

"Members of our community are encouraged to speak, write, listen, challenge, and learn, without fear of censorship. Civility and mutual respect are vital to all of us, and freedom of expression does not mean the freedom to harass or threaten others. You will find that we expect members of our community to be engaged in rigorous debate, discussion, and even disagreement. At times this may challenge you and even cause discomfort.

Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so- called “trigger warnings,” we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual “safe spaces” where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own.

Fostering the free exchange of ideas reinforces a related University priority—building a campus that welcomes people of all backgrounds. Diversity of opinion and background is a fundamental strength of our community. The members of our community must have the freedom to espouse and explore a wide range of ideas.”

Can I get an "Amen!"
An easy way to dismantle the idea of "safe spaces". Think this one through. How would the snowflakes react if a well known member of the local Young Republicans used the safe space?

You will notice something when I say that:

1. It just sounds wrong because Young Republicans don't need or use safe spaces. They're not snowflakes.
2. Young liberals would freak the heck out if they saw a conservative or Republican (they're not the same thing) in the same room as them (I mean, what else can we conclude given that they were traumatized seeing TRUMP!'s name written on a sidewalk in chalk?), thus making the "safe space" scary, and useless, to them.

Obviously then, safe spaces are only designed to shelter young liberals who can't cope with even the facsimile of real life the campus provides.

Having a degree looks good on a resume but I never went because i got the training i needed in the IDF. I work for Dell Technologies now as full stack developer.

Certainly a fine point, grounded in reality.

Angelo Codevilla has written about the ruling class, having gone to the best schools, with all sorts of degrees.....and truly messed up this once great country.

Back in 2010, the brilliant Angelo Codevilla wrote this....and it is, sadly, true to this day.

America's Ruling Class -- And the Perils of Revolution
By Angelo M. Codevilla from the July 2010 - August 2010 issue

Angelo Codevilla, Conor Friedersdorf and the Straussian Time-Warp - The American Spectator | USA News and PoliticsThe American Spectator | USA News and Politics

1. Our ruling class's agenda is power for itself. While it stakes its claim through intellectual-moral pretense, it holds power by one of the oldest and most prosaic of means: patronage and promises thereof. Like left-wing parties always and everywhere, it is a "machine," that is, based on providing tangible rewards to its members. Such parties often provide rank-and-file activists with modest livelihoods and enhance mightily the upper levels' wealth. Because this is so, whatever else such parties might accomplish, they must feed the machine by transferring money or jobs or privileges -- civic as well as economic -- to the party's clients, directly or indirectly.
a. Hence our ruling class's standard approach to any and all matters, its solution to any and all problems, is to increase the power of the government -- meaning of those who run it, meaning themselves, to profit those who pay with political support for privileged jobs, contracts, etc But there can be no doubt that such power and money makes Americans ever more dependent on those who wield it.

An easy way to dismantle the idea of "safe spaces". Think this one through. How would the snowflakes react if a well known member of the local Young Republicans used the safe space?

You will notice something when I say that:

1. It just sounds wrong because Young Republicans don't need or use safe spaces. They're not snowflakes.
2. Young liberals would freak the heck out if they saw a conservative or Republican (they're not the same thing) in the same room as them (I mean, what else can we conclude given that they were traumatized seeing TRUMP!'s name written on a sidewalk in chalk?), thus making the "safe space" scary, and useless, to them.

Obviously then, safe spaces are only designed to shelter young liberals who can't cope with even the facsimile of real life the campus provides.

We cannot use examples that compare the two sides, because the totalitarians....Democrats.....don't care to treat both sides in the same way.

Nothing like a bunch of successful college grads telling people they don’t need to go to college to be successful.

Nothing like a bunch of successful college grads telling people they don’t need to go to college to be successful.
You may need to maybe not depends on what field you're interested in. If you want to go into software engineering or data science having a degree is good, a coding camp certificate is just as good. having hands on training having worked on projects on your own is just as good. Cyber security is the same way.

And you don't. What you need to be successful is self-awareness. You need to know if a college education is something that is worth more to you than its cost. Then you're going to do what's best for you and you will be successful. There are an awful lot of people I would tell to avoid my college major (computer science) because, although it's allowed me to be successful, a lot of people would hate to do what I love doing every day, which is to live in a computer screen. I'm an IT geek and love it, but not very many people would enjoy what I do.

And you don't. What you need to be successful is self-awareness. You need to know if a college education is something that is worth more to you than its cost. Then you're going to do what's best for you and you will be successful. There are an awful lot of people I would tell to avoid my college major (computer science) because, although it's allowed me to be successful, a lot of people would hate to do what I love doing every day, which is to live in a computer screen. I'm an IT geek and love it, but not very many people would enjoy what I do.
I don’t have a problem with saying some people should go to college and some people shouldn’t.

But look at the thread title.

Do you freelance or work for a tech company? i work for Dell in Israel as a full stack developer.

You’d almost think that they wanted to keep em dumb and poor
You can't keep somebody dumb and poor if they know what they want and don't give up trying to get it. Pretending the only way to be smart and successful is a 4 year degree is foolish.

I don’t have a problem with saying some people should go to college and some people shouldn’t.

But look at the thread title.
Oh, I disagree with the thread title as written. I can understand saying not to go to college until you've considered all the alternatives, the cost and the work involved, but I would not as a blanket statement say to not go. It's neither the total waste of time nor the only route to success as some seem to be touting.

Do you do pen testing to see if a server is in danger of SQL injection?
That's more on the application side. We configure, install, and monitor the software for any kind of issues, and that includes SQL injection. If the client agrees, we work with developers and make recommendations to to help prevent such vulnerabilities.

Probably Liberty University - Where they learn ya to become a full boat Loony Toon. :)
It's accredited. Sounds like a college can be an indoctrination center, though, which is one of the beefs in the OP, is it not?

That's more on the application side. We configure, install, and monitor the software for any kind of issues, and that includes SQL injection. If the client agrees, we work with developers and make recommendations to to help prevent such vulnerabilities.
Just curious do you ever use ruby on Rails? If you select MySQL as your database it uses SQLite by default.

Forum List

Back