Don Everly RIP

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
You youngsters probably have no idea how much Phil and Don influenced other rockers.
RIP Don.

Don Everly of Early Rock ‘N' Roll Everly Brothers Dies at 84​

Everly died at his home in Nashville, Tennessee, on Saturday, according to his attorney and family spokesperson Linda Edell Howard​

Don Everly, one-half of the pioneering Everly Brothers whose harmonizing country rock hits impacted a generation of rock ‘n’ roll music, has died. He was 84.

Everly died at his home in Nashville, Tennessee, on Saturday, according to his attorney and family spokesperson Linda Edell Howard. His brother, Phil Everly, died in January 2014 at age 74.

“Don lived by what he felt in his heart,” a statement from the family said. “Don expressed his appreciation for the ability to live his dreams ... living in love with his soul mate and wife Adela, and sharing the music that made him an Everly Brother. Don always expressed how grateful he was for his fans.”

In the late 1950s and 1960s, the duo of Don and Phil drew upon their rural roots with their strummed guitars and high, yearning harmonies, while their poignant songs — many by the team of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant — embodied teenage restlessness and energy. Their 19 top 40 hits included “Bye Bye Love,” “Let It Be Me,” “All I Have to Do Is Dream” and “Wake Up Little Susie,” and performers from the Beatles to Simon & Garfunkel cited them as key influences.

Early rock stars like the Everly Brothers were the foundations upon what later stars (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, CS&N, Fleetwood Mac, Prince, etc) gained from. The success of the Everlys became the success of the later rockers.

Everlys (with Chuck Berry & Elvis) also were one of the inspirations that got me to buy a guitar, learn it, and become a professional guitar player, and band member. I can't thank them enough. I still know some of their songs, and play them, occasionally.

Early rock stars like the Everly Brothers were the foundations upon what later stars (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, CS&N, Fleetwood Mac, Prince, etc) gained from. The success of the Everlys became the success of the later rockers.

Everlys (with Chuck Berry & Elvis) also were one of the inspirations that got me to buy a guitar, learn it, and become a professional guitar player, and band member. I can't thank them enough. I still know some of their songs, and play them, occasionally.
Jimmy play blues/soul rock and I have never heard blues/soul rock coming from the Everly bros.

Jimmy play blues/soul rock and I have never heard blues/soul rock coming from the Everly bros.
If you're talking about Hendrix, you don't even know how to spell his name. As for what he plays, I have been playing Hendrix songs (ex, Purple Haze) for for over 50 years, and I could do a video of myself playing it right now.

I know exactly what Hendrix plays, and on that score I'll be the teacher, not you.

And few recording artists have ever been more bluesy and soul rock than the Everly Brothers. One doesn't come out of Kentucky in the 50s playing guitars without having lots of soul & blues in their music.

Forum List

Back