Dogs Are Not People

It bothers me because people are losing their minds spending $ on dogs when it could be helping people and the world....

I'm not saying they don't have a RIGHT to do it, it's just DUMB!
I defy you to say you don't spend your money on anything beyond the bare necessities and that you give the rest to "helping people and the world".

A dog is a family member. Maybe not an equal family member, but still much loved. You would spend all you have to save a family member. I would, and have.

I've never done it for a dog, but I understand breaking the bank to save a dog. I do not understand standing in line for three days or even three hours for the newest iPhone or X-box.

Actually, many service dogs can do just that.
There are dogs that can warn of seizures coming on. Dogs that can detect illness such as cancer, or an impending heart attack.
Dogs are better than people

that's a sad statement on humanity.
Truth hurts.

Either way, let's see a dog take care of you when you need your meds or needs to cook you a meal when you are disabled.

There are dogs that can get a beer out of the refrigerator and bring it to you...

Now that's something...

Hello!? They aren't! If I hear a prayer request for another dog at church I will lose it!

Are numerous commandments to take care of animals. So a prayer on behalf of one doesn't seem at odds with anything.

"Judaism places great stress on proper treatment of animals. Unnecessary cruelty to animals is strictly forbidden, and in many cases, animals are accorded the same sensitivity as human beings. This concern for the welfare of animals is unusual in Western civilization. Most civilized nations did not accept this principle until quite recently; cruelty to animals was not outlawed until the 1800s, and even now it is not taken very seriously.

In the Bible, those who care for animals are heroes, while those who hunt animals are villains. Jacob, Moses and King David were all shepherds, people who cared for animals (Gen. 30, Ex. 31, I Sam. 17). A traditional story tells that Moses was chosen for his mission because of his skill in caring for animals. "The Holy One, Blessed Be He, said 'Since you are merciful to the flock of a human being, you shall be the shepherd of My flock, Israel.'" Likewise Rebecca was chosen as a wife for Isaac because of her kindness to animals. When Abraham's servant asked for water for himself, she volunteered to water his camels as well, and thereby proved herself a worthy wife (Gen. 24)."
Judaism 101 Treatment of Animals
There is a whole lot of animal sacrificing in the Bible. Tons and tons and tons and tons. Lots of slicing and dicing and God even orders the Israelites to fling fresh animal blood onto the tabernacle on a regular basis. Bowls and bowls of blood.

But I do love Balaam's talking donkey. :D

Last edited:
Actually, many service dogs can do just that.
There are dogs that can warn of seizures coming on. Dogs that can detect illness such as cancer, or an impending heart attack.
Truth hurts.

Either way, let's see a dog take care of you when you need your meds or needs to cook you a meal when you are disabled.

most can't
You've tested most dogs then? Impressive. Two thumbs up! :thup: :thup:

(I'm pretty sure mine can detect cancer. I'm also pretty sure she's hiding something. She's still pissed off because I didn't let her chase the mailman down the street. She'll probably let me know I'm dying about 5 minutes before it happens.)

this is just silly.. if you are sick at home most dogs as pets won't be able to help you across the room, administer meds, change our bed pan etc. I can't believe people are arguing this with me... damn...
I'm pretty sure I never said my dog is capable of providing medical care--but I wouldn't put it passed her. Someone's arguing with you about that? That's just silly.
Anyone with half a brain knows that dogs are best at carpentry. It's a fact. :thup:

this is just silly.. if you are sick at home most dogs as pets won't be able to help you across the room, administer meds, change our bed pan etc. I can't believe people are arguing this with me... damn...
Sandy Lucky Dog

A golden retriever answers the call of duty for a wounded warrior who’s in need. But to earn his service dog badge, Sandy must successfully complete Brandon’s boot camp!

My dog talks. And the older he gets, the more he talks.

Cats, though. If cats were given the gift of speech, they still wouldn't talk. They don't think we are worthy to hear what they have to say. And we probably wouldn't like what they have to say to us, either.

Hello!? They aren't! If I hear a prayer request for another dog at church I will lose it!

Are numerous commandments to take care of animals. So a prayer on behalf of one doesn't seem at odds with anything.

"Judaism places great stress on proper treatment of animals. Unnecessary cruelty to animals is strictly forbidden, and in many cases, animals are accorded the same sensitivity as human beings. This concern for the welfare of animals is unusual in Western civilization. Most civilized nations did not accept this principle until quite recently; cruelty to animals was not outlawed until the 1800s, and even now it is not taken very seriously.

In the Bible, those who care for animals are heroes, while those who hunt animals are villains. Jacob, Moses and King David were all shepherds, people who cared for animals (Gen. 30, Ex. 31, I Sam. 17). A traditional story tells that Moses was chosen for his mission because of his skill in caring for animals. "The Holy One, Blessed Be He, said 'Since you are merciful to the flock of a human being, you shall be the shepherd of My flock, Israel.'" Likewise Rebecca was chosen as a wife for Isaac because of her kindness to animals. When Abraham's servant asked for water for himself, she volunteered to water his camels as well, and thereby proved herself a worthy wife (Gen. 24)."
Judaism 101 Treatment of Animals
There is a whole lot of animal sacrificing in the Bible. Tons and tons and tons and tons. Lots of slicing and dicing and God even orders the Israelites to fling fresh animal blood onto the tabernacle on a regular basis. Bowls and bowls of blood.

But I do love Balaam's talking donkey. :D
That's not all donkeys can do. Or so I've heard...:eusa_whistle:

When I was recently ill, my dog never left my side. I got better more quickly because he was there with me.

My dog talks. And the older he gets, the more he talks.

Cats, though. If cats were given the gift of speech, they still wouldn't talk. They don't think we are worthy to hear what they have to say. And we probably wouldn't like what they have to say to us, either.
They can probably talk. They just keep quiet out of fear we'll try to engage them in the same inane conversations we have with each other. :)

Daisy and Tangle were trained to detect the unique odor of bladder cancer cells in urine samples, but researchers have found that dogs can also nose out other forms of cancer. At the Sensory Research Institute at Florida State University in Tallahassee, scientists have trained dogs to detect the odor of skin melanomas and prostate cancer. In 2006, researchers at the Pine Street Foundation in Northern California reported that they had taught dogs to pinpoint patients with lung cancer (with 97 percent accuracy) and breast cancer (with 88 percent accuracy)-simply by sniffing their breath. The researchers are now training dogs to detect ovarian cancer.

Service Dogs

Dogs like Delta are trained to detect subtle changes in a diabetic patient’s body chemistry that occur when the levels of glucose in the blood drop too low or rise too high. Either can lead to seizures, convulsions, diabetic coma, and death. Other dogs have been trained to respond to heart attacks, and to recognize changes in the blood pressure of their owners.

Delta, a German Shepherd, can sense changes in the
blood sugar levels of her young diabetic master.

Dogs known as seizure dogs (or seizure response dogs) have been trained or have learned to react when a person with epilepsy is having a seizure. These dogs might bark to notify others of the seizure, lie down next to the person to prevent them from harm, remove dangerous objects from the vicinity so the person is not harmed, or attempt to revive the person after the seizure ends if they lose consciousness. More remarkably, the companion dogs of epileptics may learn to sense an impending seizure in their owner before it happens. In a 1998 survey by researchers at the University of Florida, 10 percent of epileptic patients with companion dogs reported that their dogs seemed to know when they were going to have a seizure. Although experts aren’t sure exactly how dogs do this, it may be that they are detecting subtle changes in body chemistry or in the behavior of their owner. In some cases, these dogs have been trained to perform a particular activity — running in circles, for example-to notify their owner of what they have sensed.

The most widely used and well-known service dogs are those trained to provide assistance to blind or visually impaired people, acting as the eyes of their owner. There are also hearing dogs, trained to assist deaf people and to alert them to sounds such as smoke alarms, doorbells, and crying babies; mobility assist dogs, which pull wheelchairs and provide help to the physically impaired; and walker dogs, which help provide balance when walking to individuals suffering from movement disorders such as Parkinson’s disease and spasms. In addition, dogs have been trained to assist persons with psychiatric conditions such as bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, autism, schizophrenia, and anxiety disorder. These dogs learn to recognize changes in their owner’s behavior or environment that indicate paranoia, panic attacks, hallucinations, or potentially harmful repetitive actions, for example, and may remind them to take medication.
Above from the last link
Seizure-Alert Dogs Save Humans With Early Warnings
Dogs trained to detect prostate cancer with more than 90 accuracy Society The Guardian
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/dogs-trained-sniff-ovarian-cancer-develop-diagnostic-tool/story?id=19907889

Dogs That Changed The World Medical Dogs Nature PBS

I know my lab helped pull me upright before my back surgery. He also jumped in the pool to pull me to the side when he thought I needed assistance. He also saved our cats life when he had climbed in the dryer and I had turned it on. I heard a horrific sound from the other room, couldn't figure out where it came from, he went racing toward the laundry room, when I got there he had pulled the dryer door open and was pulling the cat out. He has also let others know not to mess with me or our grandchild.

I know my lab helped pull me upright before my back surgery. He also jumped in the pool to pull me to the side when he thought I needed assistance. He also saved our cats life when he had climbed in the dryer and I had turned it on. I heard a horrific sound from the other room, couldn't figure out where it came from, he went racing toward the laundry room, when I got there he had pulled the dryer door open and was pulling the cat out. He has also let others know not to mess with me or our grandchild.
You got one of the good dogs. My dog learned how to get into backpacks and purses (even if they're zipped up). She likes to take things out such as keys, wallets, food, etc, and hide them. At least she is kind enough to put them all in the same place so we can find them.:)

Ok, when you are sick and need help, talk to your dog and no one else and let's see how that works for you.

There are CERTAIN dogs that can do a lot, but most dogs as pets can't and/or are not trained to. Most people will go to PEOPLE and GOD when they are in real need... so silly...

Forum List

Back