Does Anyone Still Care?

Although we're now separated and will be divorced I was in an interracial relationship for 25 years. Don't see a problem with it.

Not really. Well people like you do. But foir the most part the only ones who make an issue out of something are the ones doing it.

Not really. Well people like you do.

"People like" me? What kind of people is that? And if no one ever really cared why was interracial marriage illegal in the US for so long? And, did you look at the link?

My first girlfriend was black and an absolute sweetheart. Then I started going to college and I didn't pay her enough attention due to my studies...:(

My first girlfriend was black and an absolute sweetheart. Then I started going to college and I didn't pay her enough attention due to my studies...:(

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlDo-T5rHLk]Napoleon Dynamite "Idiot" - YouTube[/ame]

I remember a few lines from "Guess who's coming to Dinner"....

Sidney Poitier is explaining to his father who is against his marriage to a white girl, that (he) his father sees himself as a black man, while he, Poitier, just sees himself as a man......sounds good to me....

From the article..."when the people are different races, the subtext is, “it’s so fascinating that you are together.”

I do not look at it that way at all. People are attracted to people for a variety of reasons. Race may be one of those reasons, but it is hardly fascinating. Couples all over the race spectrum face similar challenges within the relationship, that fact they are together would suggest race is not one of those issues.

I think the first part there was trying to read something more into the fact that people take notice of it than perhaps is warranted.

I think the first part there was trying to read something more into the fact that people take notice of it than perhaps is warranted.

I get that...Perhaps they are creating a fiction I have never been fascinated other than a mismatched couple and why they stay together. Nothing to do with race.

I get that...Perhaps they are creating a fiction I have never been fascinated other than a mismatched couple and why they stay together. Nothing to do with race.

But would you take note of an interracial couple walking down the street hand in hand more than you would notice a same-race couple?

Well, being the product of one and involved in one myself, it certainly doesn't bother me. :)

So what do you think of the points raised in the first essay presented on that link?

Though I think that he is a decade behind the times, I do think that some people feel that way about interracial couples. Thankfully those people are in the minority, I see it in my own personal life with my family, friends, and extended family. We have a friend in her early fifties who was against interracial marriage, now she has three mixed race grandchildren from two of her daughters and she adores them. She never gave us any grief, in fact we are close, he attitude regarding that matter has certainly evolved to the better.

I also think that he's purposely trying to be controversial, some of it seems paranoid. I have seen and heard white people ask white couples how they met each other..............

Having spent 20 years in the military, I long ago grew used to interracial couples. I'd say it's more prevalent in the military than in the civilian world, though I've not looked for any research to back that up -- just going on personal observation.

Even here in the county were I grew up (there were only 2 black kids in high school when I went, '77 - '81, a brother and sister), I now see mixed couples. I also see a lot of older white folks with their mixed grandkids.

It's really not a big deal.

Forum List

Back