Family angry after man spends 11 hours waiting for care at Cambridge, Ont., hospital

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Canada, especially Ontario; decided long ago that it is better to pay plain clothed cops $150k+ a year, by far the most number of employees on Ontarios Sunshine List, than it is to fund vital social programs.

Police States doing what they have always done as our reputation, economy and health suffer.

By the way I haven't hit the two digit wait time yet but I did wait 9 hours one time.

A man from Ontario's Waterloo Region is demanding improvements to the regional health-care system after his father-in-law waited hours for care at Cambridge Memorial Hospital last week.

Andrew Pearen's relative, who is living with cancer, became dizzy and confused, prompting a call to 911 on Wednesday, Pearen said.

He was ultimately admitted for observation after waiting more than 11 hours to be transferred from the care of paramedics to the hospital.

"People just throw their hands in the air and say, 'That's the system. The system is broken. We just have to accept that the system is broken,'" he said.

"And my challenge is, why do you have to accept that the system is broken? That is not the right mentality, and I don't believe it's the truth."

'People are very, very sick'​

Donna Didimos, the Cambridge hospital's director of the emergency department and mental health, said she couldn't speak to the specific case involving Pearen's father-in-law.

But Didimos said the ER has seen a spike in volume since Boxing Day, exceeding anything she has seen in her seven months in her role.

"The acuity has been absolutely … horrendous," she said. "People are very, very sick."

Still, Didimos said, her hospital is always striving to do better, and she would be happy to speak with Pearen about his family's experience.

That's not unusual in the U.S., due in large part to uninsured patients showing up to the E.R., where they cannot be denied service.

It's not? I've never known anybody who's waited 11 hours in the emergency room in this country. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but to claim it's not unusual would suggest I would have at least heard of this a few times and I can't recall any such instance.

It's not? I've never known anybody who's waited 11 hours in the emergency room in this country. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but to claim it's not unusual would suggest I would have at least heard of this a few times and I can't recall any such instance.
I spent 2 all nighters back to back week ends when the daughters were JR high. gotta be 8 to ten yrs ago. Place wasnt even packed,
2-3 yrs ago Bother in law went to ER. Sat for nine hrs and watched a constant parade of ambulances. Just to make a DR appointment ya need about a month lead time to get in

I spent 2 all nighters back to back week ends when the daughters were JR high. gotta be 8 to ten yrs ago. Place wasnt even packed,
2-3 yrs ago Bother in law went to ER. Sat for nine hrs and watched a constant parade of ambulances. Just to make a DR appointment ya need about a month lead time to get in
Let's be honest. If you are waiting 11 hours for a serious emergency, you are dead.

The number of people who have literally died on the floor of ER Rooms in Ontario would shock you. Including a newborn and a two year old. This is only going back a couple of years of my memory when I started to really pay attention to it during COVID.

The more apt term for this is "death care". Or, "roll the dice care".

Canada, especially Ontario; decided long ago that it is better to pay plain clothed cops $150k+ a year, by far the most number of employees on Ontarios Sunshine List, than it is to fund vital social programs.

Police States doing what they have always done as our reputation, economy and health suffer.
You made your point but then you went on to another topic. The point is that it's a waste of money to put plain clothes cops before and after you in a lineup in a hospital.

The police are planning on causing you to have a car accident. Their jobs are to cut costs.

I have heard of 13 hours during Covid.

Forum List

Back