Does Anyone Still Care?

I think the first part there was trying to read something more into the fact that people take notice of it than perhaps is warranted.

I get that...Perhaps they are creating a fiction I have never been fascinated other than a mismatched couple and why they stay together. Nothing to do with race.

But would you take note of an interracial couple walking down the street hand in hand more than you would notice a same-race couple?

I certainly take note, but in a positive way. I always tell my wife; "Hey there's another one of us.". Or if I see a white guy with a black gal , I see my own father and mother. When I see interracial friendships, relationships, etc., I always happily say; "Our society is changing for the better.".

Some people claim that they "don't see color" or that they "tolerate" other races and cultures, I don't think that's as "virtuous" as it sounds. In my opinion, if someone asks me to describe a person or I ask someone the same, why is it bad to say "Yeah that Black guy" or "Yeah that White gal"? If there's no malice behind those description, what's the problem? My problem with "tolerate" stems from the very definition of the word itself:
tol·er·ate
transitive verb \ˈtä-lə-ˌrāt\

: to allow (something that is bad, unpleasant, etc.) to exist, happen, or be done

: to experience (something harmful or unpleasant) without being harmed

: to accept the feelings, behavior, or beliefs of (someone)

So, if someone "tolerates" other races or interracial marriages, does that mean at it's base, those things are unpleasant for them?

I think the first part there was trying to read something more into the fact that people take notice of it than perhaps is warranted.

I get that...Perhaps they are creating a fiction I have never been fascinated other than a mismatched couple and why they stay together. Nothing to do with race.

But would you take note of an interracial couple walking down the street hand in hand more than you would notice a same-race couple?

No I would not, I grew up in that environment in the housing projects of NYC and then in the military and now in this little bedroom community I live in interracial couples were prevalent and commonplace.

I hope interracial dating isn't fundamentally wrong due to some hard standard of morality of which I'm unaware.

Otherwise, I have to find someone outside of my own family who's Hawaiian, Chinese, French, Tahitian, Scotish and Irish in the same proportions as I. Not gonna happen.

In fact, if there's a God and he's against different races mingling sexually, I'm pretty sure the entire Hawaiian island chain is gonna go out the way of Sodom and Gomorrah

Last edited:
I think the author of the story is wrong when he talks about "how did you meet?" being somehow racial. I've gone out with white women and people asked the same question. I think it's just a way to break the ice.
I am reminded of the time I was dating a mexican gal. Her Uncle didn't approve of her dating a gringo. She was afraid to tell me what her uncle thought because she thought it might make me mad or hurt my feelings. After laughing my butt off, I assured her that being a white, blue eyed, blond guy in America has certain advantages. One of these advantages is being able to laugh at people who disapprove of you. It's like being called a cracker. It's just so stupid and non hurtful that I almost feel sorry for these poor folks. I want to pet them and feed them jello. It's the least I can do.

Last edited:
My sister is engaged to an Asian man and as soon as my nana found that he was Asian, she wanted to know why my sister couldn't 'stick with her own race'. This, coming from a woman who married a man with a Japanese mother.

My last boyfriend was black. My mum asked me why I felt the need to be with a black person. She never asked my sister why she felt the need to date an Asian.

Yeah, there is prejudice. Don't ask me why.

Interracial Couples Are Still Seen as Rare - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

Is this even a 'thing' anymore to anyone but the tiny minority of utter mental defectives like Tank and 52nd Street?
Aids, child abandonment, employment and the general racism in the black community are a few things I would worry about with a white woman being with a black man

"Marriages including a black husband and white wife were more prone to divorce than those composed of black husbands and black wives. Black male/white female couples also had the highest likelihood of divorce of all white/non-white marriages."
http://aloftyexistence.wordpress.com/201...

Last edited:

Is this even a 'thing' anymore to anyone but the tiny minority of utter mental defectives like Tank and 52nd Street?
Aids, child abandonment, employment and the general racism in the black community are a few things I would worry about with a white woman being with a black man

"Marriages including a black husband and white wife were more prone to divorce than those composed of black husbands and black wives. Black male/white female couples also had the highest likelihood of divorce of all white/non-white marriages."
http://aloftyexistence.wordpress.com/201...

White men get with black women
White women also get with latinos, Asians etc
It is not just white and black
The 18th century is long gone

I remember a few lines from "Guess who's coming to Dinner"....

Sidney Poitier is explaining to his father who is against his marriage to a white girl, that (he) his father sees himself as a black man, while he, Poitier, just sees himself as a man......sounds good to me....

Oh man, I was in love with Sidney Poitier.....I would have married him in a second.

Seeing as how one sister married a black man and my brother married a Thai woman, I see nothing wrong with mixed marriages. My niece (1/2 Thai) married a black man and he's cool. My family kind of melted and I think we're the better for it.

Nope.

To each his own. Live and let live. My wife's brother just got married this summer to a white female with two children from an abusive, deadbeat, chronically unemployed former husband who happened to be white.

His previous wife, who is black, was no prize either.

The point is that they are two hardworking, responsible PEOPLE who wanted a life together, and they deserve all of the happiness that they now have.

I certainly take note, but in a positive way. I always tell my wife; "Hey there's another one of us.". Or if I see a white guy with a black gal , I see my own father and mother. When I see interracial friendships, relationships, etc., I always happily say; "Our society is changing for the better.".

Some people claim that they "don't see color" or that they "tolerate" other races and cultures, I don't think that's as "virtuous" as it sounds. In my opinion, if someone asks me to describe a person or I ask someone the same, why is it bad to say "Yeah that Black guy" or "Yeah that White gal"? If there's no malice behind those description, what's the problem? My problem with "tolerate" stems from the very definition of the word itself:
tol·er·ate
transitive verb \ˈtä-lə-ˌrāt\

: to allow (something that is bad, unpleasant, etc.) to exist, happen, or be done

: to experience (something harmful or unpleasant) without being harmed

: to accept the feelings, behavior, or beliefs of (someone)

So, if someone "tolerates" other races or interracial marriages, does that mean at it's base, those things are unpleasant for them?

Very good points Phoenix. Although I am not an Oprah fan, my wife is, so needless to say, whenever I ride with her in her car, she has her satellite radio tuned to the Oprah station.

Last week she had a segment on the show regarding the topic of "tolerance" versus respect and equal acceptance of diversity. And that very same definition was used as a lead in to the segment.

I hope interracial dating isn't fundamentally wrong due to some hard standard of morality of which I'm unaware.

Otherwise, I have to find someone outside of my own family who's Hawaiian, Chinese, French, Tahitian, Scotish and Irish in the same proportions as I. Not gonna happen.

In fact, if there's a God and he's against different races mingling sexually, I'm pretty sure the entire Hawaiian island chain is gonna go out the way of Sodom and Gomorrah

Having had the privilege of living there for a couple of years, I'm much more inclined to view Hawai'i as 'Paradise' than S & G : ))

And that's largely due to the people of the Aloha/Rainbow state!

LOL! My very WASP MIL made some remark about 'tolerance' while the husband and I were still dating : one needs to understand that's the word that Friends (aka 'Quakers') tended to use some decades back.

I immediately responded along the lines of "I don't 'ask for tolerance' : your acceptance should just happen without any asking, since we're equals...."

She actually thought about that, and agreed that the idea she meant by 'tolerance' was best described as 'acceptance'...... I don't even think 'acceptance' goes far enough: we really aim for 'welcomed'. And we (overall family) have pretty well achieved that.

I think any number of factors, like good dental hygiene, are considered well before 'race' or 'ethnicity' or 'religion' among our clan. Heck, being willing to participate in a round of 'charades' is more important than any of that stuff!

Nope.

I would have when I was in high school and this city was mostly white, we had all of 3 blacks in our high school. Today, we maybe have 3 whites in the same high school. I would have taken notice because of the rarity of it. It's not rare around here anymore.

LOL! My very WASP MIL made some remark about 'tolerance' while the husband and I were still dating : one needs to understand that's the word that Friends (aka 'Quakers') tended to use some decades back.

I immediately responded along the lines of "I don't 'ask for tolerance' : your acceptance should just happen without any asking, since we're equals...."

She actually thought about that, and agreed that the idea she meant by 'tolerance' was best described as 'acceptance'...... I don't even think 'acceptance' goes far enough: we really aim for 'welcomed'. And we (overall family) have pretty well achieved that.

I think any number of factors, like good dental hygiene, are considered well before 'race' or 'ethnicity' or 'religion' among our clan. Heck, being willing to participate in a round of 'charades' is more important than any of that stuff!

Okay, I'm out. I am not doing charades. I used to love it as a kid, but I never, ever win. People are way out there when I'm acting it out and I feel like a fool. I can't draw worth beans so any game that involves drawing is out too. How do you feel about Monopoly? Sorry? Yahtzee?

Okay, I'm out. I am not doing charades. I used to love it as a kid, but I never, ever win. People are way out there when I'm acting it out and I feel like a fool. I can't draw worth beans so any game that involves drawing is out too. How do you feel about Monopoly? Sorry? Yahtzee?

Board games are fine, even simple ones like Sorry! And anything played with the alphabet is good. So yes, you can go ahead and send in that adoption application : ))

Maybe if you never won at charades, it was because your team weren't good guessers......

Board games are fine, even simple ones like Sorry! And anything played with the alphabet is good. So yes, you can go ahead and send in that adoption application : ))

You know a game named "Sorry!" had to have been invented by a married man.

Forum List

Back