Do you shop at Walmart?

Do you shop at Walmart?

• Yes

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 38.1%

• Total voters
Just to suddenly snap back to the basic question, since those with a negative answer have to be grilled like some Alabama literacy test, think back to Thanksgiving Day when Mal-Wart required employees to work on a national holiday that is built around the family. That's another thing I can't support. My culture is way way way more important than bending over for some fat cat to make yet another buck at the expense of the hearth. That kind of materialistic attitude can go straight to hell and never come back.

Now some company shill will be here in the standard eight minutes to vilify me for taking a step that won't change what I object to. That's not the point. I think of it collectively; if we all refused to enable that kind of thing, the company would be forced to relent, but that starts with one. In that I'm doing my part, which is all I can do. Unlike some here, I don't believe I can do other people's parts for them.

Or as they used to say in grammar school, if "everybody else" jumped off a cliff, would you jump too?"

you can blame the company all you want, but the reality is if consumers didn't want Wal Mart open on Thanksgiving, they wouldn't be.

Hell myself I think Wal Mart and all other companies should be closed on Sundays as well. I think there is valid evidence to support that when families spent Sundays at home together our country was stronger, but there is a reason companies started opening on sundays. That's what the consumer wanted.

So , you call Wal Mart greedy for opening on a day their customers want them opened? I call that smart business.

Ah yes, the old "we're only doing what the public wants" canard. Right on time. Like the existence of the SUV :rofl:

The fact is the company (retailer/manufacturer) has to lead that. The consumer is a follower. Exactly what H.L. Mencken meant with "nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".

The fact is we still have the choice -- for now. And some of us exercise that choice, like it or lump it.

H.L. Mencken didn't say this though:
"When they came for Thanksgiving I said nothing because I wasn't doing anything that night except visiting family..."

Wait, so you believe that a company that has been as fantastically succesful as Wal Mart has been just makes wholesale decisions to open on Sundays or stay open 24 hours a day or what have you and then expects the consumer to adapt?

Wal Mart is one of the more dynamic "big" companies out there, they change to give their customers what they want because well they want the customers.

Hell son, they run focus groups to help decide where to put the milk, I doubt they just were sitting around and decided "hey let's convince the consumer to shop on Thanksgiving"

By the way, I agree that average American is stupid, but stupid doesn't translate to "hey wal mart said we should shop on Thanksgiving so let's go to town ma"

you can blame the company all you want, but the reality is if consumers didn't want Wal Mart open on Thanksgiving, they wouldn't be.

Hell myself I think Wal Mart and all other companies should be closed on Sundays as well. I think there is valid evidence to support that when families spent Sundays at home together our country was stronger, but there is a reason companies started opening on sundays. That's what the consumer wanted.

So , you call Wal Mart greedy for opening on a day their customers want them opened? I call that smart business.

Ah yes, the old "we're only doing what the public wants" canard. Right on time. Like the existence of the SUV :rofl:

The fact is the company (retailer/manufacturer) has to lead that. The consumer is a follower. Exactly what H.L. Mencken meant with "nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".

The fact is we still have the choice -- for now. And some of us exercise that choice, like it or lump it.

"When they came for Thanksgiving I said nothing because I wasn't doing anything that night except visiting family..."

Wait, so you believe that a company that has been as fantastically succesful as Wal Mart has been just makes wholesale decisions to open on Sundays or stay open 24 hours a day or what have you and then expects the consumer to adapt?

Wal Mart is one of the more dynamic "big" companies out there, they change to give their customers what they want because well they want the customers.

Hell son, they run focus groups to help decide where to put the milk, I doubt they just were sitting around and decided "hey let's convince the consumer to shop on Thanksgiving"

By the way, I agree that average American is stupid, but stupid doesn't translate to "hey wal mart said we should shop on Thanksgiving so let's go to town ma"

Nor does it really balance the fairness meter to suggest that Walmart is somehow more evil than anybody else because it opened on Thanksgiving. Was this a community decision between all the big retail chains? Who knows? Did all of Walmart competitors open because Walmart did, and if Walmart had decided to close on Thanksgiving everybody else would have too? Takes a real stretch to get to that point too.

If ya'll want people to have Thanksgiving off, refuse to shop or do any other business on Thanksgiving. But apparently there are millions and millions of people out there who aren't buying into your personal preferences.

Nobody 'enabled' anything other than Walmart and its employees. The employees who worked on Thanksgiving Day almost all volunteered to take those shifts because they received premium pay. My friends who worked on Thanksgiving all asked to do so.

And in case you didn't notice, Walgreens, almost all restaurant chains, service stations, and numerous other businesses were all open on Thanksgiving Day. Target started its Black Friday deals at 9 a.m. Thanksgiving morning.

So if you're going to demonize Walmart for opening up on Thanksgiving, at least be fair and demonize everybody. There was a time in America when all businesses were expected to give their employees Sundays off. And there was much grumbling and finger pointing and anger when first one business, then another, then another started opening on Sunday. Some state governments even tried to regulate it with 'Blue Laws'. But now we don't even blink when just about everything is open on Sunday.

Don't like the trends? Don't shop on days you think stores should be closed.

But don't pretend that Walmart is some kind of big bully villain because they take advantage of the trends.

No no no you don't. You tried to pull this on me before, the old MHDIT defense (Mommy, he did it too). The fact is I don't support any store that does that and never did. But don't be jumping on me because the specific topic is Wal-Mart and I chose not to go off on tangents. That's outright dishonest.

No. It is dishonest to make a post that presumes Walmart is a villain because they opened on Thanksgiving when you don't acknowledge that almost everybody else did too.

Bolshoi. The topic is specifically Wal-Mart. therefore that's what we discuss. And you just started with the word "no" and then admitted the MHDIT reasoning. Do you not see these self-contradictions as you're writing them?

When the topic is Mal-Wart, I'm not going to be talking about Albertson's. Want a topic on Albertson's? Start one. Want a topic on Black Thursday? Start one. That's not what this is. And my specifying a reason to shun Mal-Wart does not in any way excuse anybody else just because I didn't list them. That inference is dishonest. Why bend over backward to morph my point into something it isn't? Your shillphone is showing.

JTF hit the nail on the head. The reason all those stores were open on Thanksgiving is because so many people wanted to shop on Thanksgiving.

Double Bolshoi. The reason they opened is to try to get a jump on their competition and make yet another buck. Nobody buys that corporate PR hogswallop. I didn't see masses of demonstrators out on Thanksgiving Day, this year or any other, demanding that stores open. Don't be so naïve.

I too enjoyed a gentler, more laid back time when the sidewalks were rolled up by midnight on Saturday night and everybody could look forward to a day off on Sundays. But that world no longer exists in most places in America and Walmart is no more evil than anybody else for recognizing that and adjusting their marketing strategy to accommodate what their customers want and respond to.

And therefore let's just throw up our hands and bend over, right? Hey what are you guys doing? Jumping off this cliff? Can I join? What a great idea.

And obviously there are a whole bunch of folks who really jumped at the chance for premium holiday pay and preferred to work rather than sit drinking beer and watching endless football games on TV. That is another reality of our modern society.

Yet another non sequitur riding in on the wings of a canard. This is not a topic about football. Not that I'd know anything about that anyway; sitting in front of the boob tube isn't exactly interacting with family. But we digress. To the first part of the sentence about sheeple, see previous "cliff" utterance. Blind obedience is the enabler. Blind obedience... making my own choice... decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

A neat trick, knowing what the customer wanted before the customer ever knew they wanted it. Smell test fails.

Actually I think they did exactly that. Somebody did, I don't remember if Mal-Wart started it or somebody else did, but some corporate boardroom did, and we lost several hours of a family holiday. And the sheeple that go out to these orgies are just as guilty enabling it.

Actually I think it means exactly that. Well put.

Funny, I never see this lame "they're just doing what the customer wants" excuse being used for Chick-Fil-A, which still closes on Sundays.

Ironic, huh?

No no no you don't. You tried to pull this on me before, the old MHDIT defense (Mommy, he did it too). The fact is I don't support any store that does that and never did. But don't be jumping on me because the specific topic is Wal-Mart and I chose not to go off on tangents. That's outright dishonest.

No. It is dishonest to make a post that presumes Walmart is a villain because they opened on Thanksgiving when you don't acknowledge that almost everybody else did too.

Bolshoi. The topic is specifically Wal-Mart. therefore that's what we discuss. And you just started with the word "no" and then admitted the MHDIT reasoning. Do you not see these self-contradictions as you're writing them?

When the topic is Mal-Wart, I'm not going to be talking about Albertson's. Want a topic on Albertson's? Start one. Want a topic on Black Thursday? Start one. That's not what this is. And my specifying a reason to shun Mal-Wart does not in any way excuse anybody else just because I didn't list them. That inference is dishonest. Why bend over backward to morph my point into something it isn't? Your shillphone is showing.

Double Bolshoi. The reason they opened is to try to get a jump on their competition and make yet another buck. Nobody buys that corporate PR hogswallop. I didn't see masses of demonstrators out on Thanksgiving Day, this year or any other, demanding that stores open. Don't be so naïve.

I too enjoyed a gentler, more laid back time when the sidewalks were rolled up by midnight on Saturday night and everybody could look forward to a day off on Sundays. But that world no longer exists in most places in America and Walmart is no more evil than anybody else for recognizing that and adjusting their marketing strategy to accommodate what their customers want and respond to.

And therefore let's just throw up our hands and bend over, right? Hey what are you guys doing? Jumping off this cliff? Can I join? What a great idea.

And obviously there are a whole bunch of folks who really jumped at the chance for premium holiday pay and preferred to work rather than sit drinking beer and watching endless football games on TV. That is another reality of our modern society.

Yet another non sequitur riding in on the wings of a canard. This is not a topic about football. Not that I'd know anything about that anyway; sitting in front of the boob tube isn't exactly interacting with family. But we digress. To the first part of the sentence about sheeple, see previous "cliff" utterance. Blind obedience is the enabler. Blind obedience... making my own choice... decisions, decisions...

Well I'm sure it would be a wonderful world if everybody saw it through your eyes and everybody conformed to the way you think the world should be. But alas, too many people choose their own view of the world and what feels right to them.

Walmart does not have any duty to require people to have a family day on Thanksgiving. And apparently there are a whole lot of people who don't consider a Thanksgiving family day important enough to forego the opportunity to go shopping for special deals and get ahead on their Christmas shopping.

I have family who are very family oriented but who went shopping on Thanksgiving. I know many others who really didn't have much of anything else to do on Thanksgiving. I personally love the Thanksgiving meal--it is my favorite meal to cook every year--and enjoy having family over. I get terribly bored with endless football games though and if that is all that is going to happen after the Thanksgiving meal, shopping might be a welcome diversion.

Nobody is asking you or requiring you to shop anywhere at any time. And your preferences for the way things should be are very much your right to have.

But the rest of us sort of insist on you allowing us to do what we enjoy doing when we enjoy doing it too and not be required to conform to what you consider the appropriate and right thing to do.

Nor does it really balance the fairness meter to suggest that Walmart is somehow more evil than anybody else because it opened on Thanksgiving. Was this a community decision between all the big retail chains? Who knows? Did all of Walmart competitors open because Walmart did, and if Walmart had decided to close on Thanksgiving everybody else would have too? Takes a real stretch to get to that point too..

Once again you've got some kind of rhetorical Cajun Injector inserting points that I never put there. I made no comparison with other businesses. None whatsoever. You did. You're trying to get poor defenseless Mal-Wart out of the spotlight by bringing in all sorts of other businesses and using them as shields. It's not selling. I don't know why you keep putting it out there.

And yes, given Mal-Wart's size and impact on retail, yes it's plausible that their competitors, given the same business principles, would follow their lead. That's not a "stretch" -- it's how the free market works.

Last edited:
But the rest of us sort of insist on you allowing us to do what we enjoy doing when we enjoy doing it too and not be required to conform to what you consider the appropriate and right thing to do.

Cajun Injector Strawman strikes again. Apparently it's got unlimited fuel.

You're talking in circles now -- you're right back to Special Ed's "banning Wal-Mart" that nobody brought up. Apparently you don't have an argument because this is where we came in.

I gotta go out. I'll be driving right past Mal-Wart, without going in. Deal with it.

You're talking in circles now -- you're right back to Special Ed's "banning Wal-Mart" that nobody brought up. Apparently you don't have an argument because this is where we came in.

I gotta go out. I'll be driving right past Mal-Wart, without going in. Deal with it.

LOL. I have not suggested banning Walmart nor have I noted anybody else suggesting banning Walmart. But you keep reading that into different people's posts.

And I'm sure you don't think I have an argument. But I do whether or not I am able to articulate it in the most effective way.

It is okay that I don't CARE that you drive past Walmart without going in isn't it? That is one point I'm pretty damn sure I was crystal clear about.

Just to suddenly snap back to the basic question, since those with a negative answer have to be grilled like some Alabama literacy test, think back to Thanksgiving Day when Mal-Wart required employees to work on a national holiday built that is built around family. That's another thing I can't support. My culture is way way way more important than bending over for some fat cat to make yet another buck on the back of the hearth. That kind of attitude can go straight to hell and never come back.

Now some company shill will be here in the standard eight minutes to vilify me for taking a step that won't change what I object to. That's not the point. I think of it collectively; if we all refused to enable that kind of thing, the company would be forced to relent, but that starts with one. In that I'm doing my part, which is all I can do. Unlike some here, I don't believe I can do other people's parts for them.

Or as they used to say in grammar school, if "everybody else" jumped off a cliff, would you jump too?"

Nobody 'enabled' anything other than Walmart and its employees. The employees who worked on Thanksgiving Day almost all volunteered to take those shifts because they received premium pay. My friends who worked on Thanksgiving all asked to do so.

And in case you didn't notice, Walgreens, almost all restaurant chains, service stations, and numerous other businesses were all open on Thanksgiving Day. Target started its Black Friday deals at 9 a.m. Thanksgiving morning.

So if you're going to demonize Walmart for opening up on Thanksgiving, at least be fair and demonize everybody. There was a time in America when all businesses were expected to give their employees Sundays off. And there was much grumbling and finger pointing and anger when first one business, then another, then another started opening on Sunday. Some state governments even tried to regulate it with 'Blue Laws'. But now we don't even blink when just about everything is open on Sunday.

Don't like the trends? Don't shop on days you think stores should be closed.

But don't pretend that Walmart is some kind of big bully villain because they take advantage of the trends.

you must forgive these retards mindless obsessions.....

LOL. I have not suggested banning Walmart nor have I noted anybody else suggesting banning Walmart. But you keep reading that into different people's posts.

And I'm sure you don't think I have an argument. But I do whether or not I am able to articulate it in the most effective way.

It is okay that I don't CARE that you drive past Walmart without going in isn't it? That is one point I'm pretty damn sure I was crystal clear about.

No doubt right. He's transferred his anger that we shop at Wal Mart into that must mean we're angry that he doesn't.

I own no stock in Wal Mart, therefor I couldn't care less who does what business there.

Question, since you are a leftist; blessed with a low, double-digit IQ; can you explain why Walmart pays employees to be at work when the public obviously doesn't want to shop? Don't they lose money? Or is it that since they are evil, they don't care if they lose money so long as they can make the employees suffer?

I mean we KNOW that it isn't that your just a greedy union hack who doesn't give a fuck about Walmart employees and just wants to expand the power of the union by coercing Walmart to join; right?

Question, since you are a leftist; blessed with a low, double-digit IQ; can you explain why Walmart pays employees to be at work when the public obviously doesn't want to shop? Don't they lose money? Or is it that since they are evil, they don't care if they lose money so long as they can make the employees suffer?

I mean we KNOW that it isn't that your just a greedy union hack who doesn't give a fuck about Walmart employees and just wants to expand the power of the union by coercing Walmart to join; right?

I can just picture the CEO of Wal Mart pitching that idea to the Board of Directors

"Alright guys Is got an idea, let's lose millions by opening on a day when no one wants to shop in order to teach our employees who's boss"

:badgrin:

And what's crazy is it worked, I mean look how empty Wal Marts across the country were on Thanksgiving Day.

Oh wait................

I can just picture the CEO of Wal Mart pitching that idea to the Board of Directors

"Alright guys Is got an idea, let's lose millions by opening on a day when no one wants to shop in order to teach our employees who's boss"

:badgrin:

And what's crazy is it worked, I mean look how empty Wal Marts across the country were on Thanksgiving Day.

Oh wait................

And let's not forget when the liberals destroy Walmart, Home Depot will be next. They lack the IQ to understand business so want to recreate it as they see fit, i.e., as the soviets did. They have an endless and treasonous appetite for taxing, regulating, taking over, and socializing free enterprise!! There never has been an end in sight.

Because Target pays living wages and doesn't ask its workers to depend on government subsidies. Because Target isn't under investigation in numerous countries for unfair trade practices. Because Target didn't declare it's dividends before December 31st in order for it's largest shareholders to avoid paying $180 million in taxes on dividends after January 1st.

So in other words it is cause you believe the propaganda about Wal-Mart....So it is just stupidity that makes you ignorantly go out of the way to avoid Wal-Mart like it has the clap. Well you go right ahead and shop target that pays their employees around the same. I like Target but I wont avoid a better price at Wal-Mart so I can be a self righteous ignoramus.

If at this point ^^ anyone's less than clear on who the control freaks are (or in the poster's prhaseology, "fascists"), then you're just drowning in denial.

I could say "shills" but this is well beyond.
Calling you a idiot, you fucking moron is not controlling.... You are such a stupid douche.

Because Target didn't declare it's dividends before December 31st in order for it's largest shareholders to avoid paying $180 million in taxes on dividends after January 1st.

of course we all do what our accounts say and should if its legal and will save us money! Ony a liberal would lack the IQ to understand that and suggest we pay more taxes than the code requires!!

Do most liberals do that to help out the governemnt. Did Al Gore just do it??????????????? What about Google, a big Obama campaign contributor, the left-leaning Washington Post, Star Wars mogul George Lucas and rapper Dr. Dre?????????????

See why we are positve a liberal will be slow, so very very slow???

Last edited:
I find it incredible that a topic called "Do You Shop At Walmart" would elicit over 1,000 responses.

I personally don't give a shit where anybody shops or doesn't shop.

My family happens to like Wal Mart because of their PRICES. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't give a shit if Walmart pays high wages or low wages. I have never seen a Walmart employee chained to the cash register or handcuffed to a shopping cart.

I could care less if Walmart has forced some of their competitors to close their doors. That's all a part of the free enterprise system, supply and demand, and competition.

I don't care when Walmart stores open, when they close, where they build their stores, what sort of tax breaks they get for creating thousands of jobs every year, etc.

For those of you who don't shop at Walmart, good for you. If you can afford to pay higher prices somewhere else because you have a hard spot for Walmart, I JUST DON'T CARE.

Go to Target. Go to Meijers. Go to K-Mart. Go to Sears. Go to Kroger and Piggly Wiggly and Fry's and Smith's and Albertson's and any other supermarket you want to. Go to the many regional retailers around the country.

If it makes you feel better, and helps you sleep better at night, and makes you all warm and fuzzy because you are "making a stand" or "supporting the slaves who work at Wal Mart", then GOOD FOR YOU!

While you are wasting your time and your money bitching about Walmart, I'll be going there on almost a daily basis, paying less money, finding great bargains, and loading up our family van with SAVINGS.

I find it incredible that a topic called "Do You Shop At Walmart" would elicit over 1,000 responses.

I personally don't give a shit where anybody shops or doesn't shop.

My family happens to like Wal Mart because of their PRICES. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't give a shit if Walmart pays high wages or low wages. I have never seen a Walmart employee chained to the cash register or handcuffed to a shopping cart.

I could care less if Walmart has forced some of their competitors to close their doors. That's all a part of the free enterprise system, supply and demand, and competition.

I don't care when Walmart stores open, when they close, where they build their stores, what sort of tax breaks they get for creating thousands of jobs every year, etc.

For those of you who don't shop at Walmart, good for you. If you can afford to pay higher prices somewhere else because you have a hard spot for Walmart, I JUST DON'T CARE.

Go to Target. Go to Meijers. Go to K-Mart. Go to Sears. Go to Kroger and Piggly Wiggly and Fry's and Smith's and Albertson's and any other supermarket you want to. Go to the many regional retailers around the country.

If it makes you feel better, and helps you sleep better at night, and makes you all warm and fuzzy because you are "making a stand" or "supporting the slaves who work at Wal Mart", then GOOD FOR YOU!

While you are wasting your time and your money bitching about Walmart, I'll be going there on almost a daily basis, paying less money, finding great bargains, and loading up our family van with SAVINGS.

Walmart is God. They give our economy an extra $300 billion a year in savings to spend!!

"The conclusion ......is that the continued reduction in prices due to the presence of Wal-Mart and the growth in consumer expenditures over the 2004 to 2006 period translates directly into savings for consumers amounting to $287 billion in 2006. This corresponds to savings of $957 per person or $2,500 per household in America."

Forum List

Back