China's military is surrounding Taiwan, sending its new president an unmistakable message

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Dangerous saber-rattling from the CCP.

The world has only gotten far more dangerous since January 20, 2021. And that same incompetent has rolled in 10+ million illegals into America.

The Chinese military characterized the exercises as a "strong punishment for the separatist acts of Taiwan' independence forces," Chinese state media said in its reporting, also calling them "a stern warning against the interference and provocation by external forces," such as the US and Japan.

This kind of rhetoric, while typical for Beijing, follows the May 20 inauguration of Lai Ching-te, who served as the former vice president under Tsai Ing-wen.

Lai's win was seen as a historic move for Taiwan. It indicated a desire by its voters to see the Democratic Progressive Party, which has typically taken a harder line on policies toward China and prioritized Taiwanese autonomy, remain in office for an unprecedented third consecutive term.

Chinese-Taiwanese tensions flared under Tsai, and Lai's rhetoric indicates he will uphold many of Tsai's policies relating to Beijing. In his inauguration speech, the new president highlighted broad continuity with how Tsai addressed the cross-strait relationship, but he also expressed a desire to maintain the status quo with China. The new president asserted peace is "the only option." Beijing has, however, repeatedly asserted that force is on the table as an option for achieving its aims.

During his inaugural speech, Lai touched on China's mounting pressure on the island, saying, "In the face of the many threats and attempts of infiltration from China, we must demonstrate our resolution to defend our nation."

This, along with China's long-held contempt for Lai, prompted Chinese media to say Lai had "surpassed" some previous Taiwanese presidents labeled by China as "separatists."

A spokesperson for China's State Council Taiwan Affairs Office said that the drills were, at least in part, a punishment and a response to Lai's inauguration speech.

1) China has been rattling Sabers at Taiwan for 75 years.

2) Taiwan is legally recognized as part of China by the UN, the US State Department and most of the world.

3) All that said, there's really no danger of China invading Taiwan, the two countries are economically dependent on each other. China and Hong Kong represent 30% of Taiwan's exports. They'd be pretty much screwed if China cut them off.

1) China has been rattling Sabers at Taiwan for 75 years.

2) Taiwan is legally recognized as part of China by the UN, the US State Department and most of the world.

3) All that said, there's really no danger of China invading Taiwan, the two countries are economically dependent on each other. China and Hong Kong represent 30% of Taiwan's exports. They'd be pretty much screwed if China cut them off.
Compare the size of Chinas military from today to even 30 years ago, it is night and day.

They are serious. Taking Taiwan, a nation that does not consider themselves Chinese, would be overtaking America and holding the world hostage.

When they don't fear consequences, they will treat the rest of the world the same way they treat many of their own citizens.
China doesn't invade countries over false reports of WMD's, or overthrow elected governments they don't like. Those are things WE do.

Glass houses, buddy, Glass houses.

Compare the size of Chinas military from today to even 30 years ago, it is night and day.

They are serious. Taking Taiwan, a nation that does not consider themselves Chinese, would be overtaking America and holding the world hostage.

Um, not really. What the Chinese military has is manpower.

They only have three inferior Aircraft carriers compared to our 11.

They have few bases outside mainland China.

Now, here's the thing. China is willing to tolerate Taiwan's independence in fact, but not in legal practice.

For the same reason why they are cracking down on the Uygurs, Tibet, Hong Kong, or those Falun Gong whackadoodles.

National sovereignty is a touchy issue with them, and given their history of being invaded, understandably so. The Mongols, the Manchus, the British, the Japanese. All of them abused China's national soverignty.

So while we see Taiwan as a bunch of plucky individualists, they see them as a rebellious province being enabled by foreigners.

China doesn't invade countries over false reports of WMD's, or overthrow elected governments they don't like. Those are things WE do.

Glass houses, buddy, Glass houses.

Um, not really. What the Chinese military has is manpower.

They only have three inferior Aircraft carriers compared to our 11.

They have few bases outside mainland China.

Now, here's the thing. China is willing to tolerate Taiwan's independence in fact, but not in legal practice.

For the same reason why they are cracking down on the Uygurs, Tibet, Hong Kong, or those Falun Gong whackadoodles.

National sovereignty is a touchy issue with them, and given their history of being invaded, understandably so. The Mongols, the Manchus, the British, the Japanese. All of them abused China's national soverignty.

So while we see Taiwan as a bunch of plucky individualists, they see them as a rebellious province being enabled by foreigners.
You are living under a rock. They used to focus on land army forces to protect in an invasion. Now they focus on the water designed for expansion. They also have a goal of 1000 nukes by 2030. Who cares about military conparisons today, this expansion is for a reason.

Paranoia?

They have spent double from 10 years ago. Insane.

Worse, the PPP of Chinas military spending is probably higher than Americas.

Chinasmilitary.png

China will have over 1,000 nuclear weapons by 2030, exceeding US predictions, Pentagon report on PLA expansion says

Pentagon says China set to have over 1,000 nukes by 2030

China Could Have 1,000 Nuclear Warheads by 2030, Pentagon Says

China could have 1,000 nuclear warheads by 2030: Pentagon

Paranoia?

They have spent double from 10 years ago. Insane.

Worse, the PPP of Chinas military spending is probably higher than Americas.
Again, so what?

America's strength is in our alliances, not in raw spending or military strength.

China has a lot of manpower. That's it.

Their missile forces are frequently short on fuel because they are using the gas to cook hot pots.

Again, so what?

America's strength is in our alliances, not in raw spending or military strength.

China has a lot of manpower. That's it.

Their missile forces are frequently short on fuel because they are using the gas to cook hot pots.
Wow.

Ask the Taiwanese how they feel when China scrambles jets in massive numbers the day in which they sign in their new leader.

You do follow the news right? Stop pretending that this situation isn't going to become a very serious one for the world. China isn't showing signs of playing nice, are they?

Do you think Canada or Mexico would enjoy it if the U.S did this to us constantly, especially on the day we swear in our new PM?

Wow.

Ask the Taiwanese how they feel when China scrambles jets in massive numbers the day in which they sign in their new leader.

I truly don't care what the Taiwanese think. I am perfectly willing to sacrifice Taiwan to avoid WWIII. This is an internal argument among Chinese about what kind of government they want. We don't need to be involved.

You do follow the news right? Stop pretending that this situation isn't going to become a very serious one for the world. China isn't showing signs of playing nice, are they?

It's only a serious situation if Taiwan keeps doing provocative things like threatening to declare independence.

Do you think Canada or Mexico would enjoy it if the U.S did this to us constantly, especially on the day we swear in our new PM?
It's really not a good analogy, because the world doesn't recognize Canada or Mexico as part of the US.

I truly don't care what the Taiwanese think. I am perfectly willing to sacrifice Taiwan to avoid WWIII. This is an internal argument among Chinese about what kind of government they want. We don't need to be involved.

It's only a serious situation if Taiwan keeps doing provocative things like threatening to declare independence.

It's really not a good analogy, because the world doesn't recognize Canada or Mexico as part of the US.
You think if China takes Taiwan you will avoid WWIII? No, it will just begin when CHina has such an advantage that the West has to wave the white flag.

I hired as an appraiser a woman named Linda K and she and her husband all came from Taiwan. We were driving to an appraisal site one day and I asked her about being Chinese. She gave me a look and told me she is not Chinese, but is Taiwanese. We chatted more and did the appraisal.

Yes, I think that China takes Taiwan, it's an internal matter that we need to avoid.

Now, if they want to take over Japan, that would be a different issue. Taiwan isn't worth WWIII.
Yeah, ths Brits and French thought that protecting Poland wasn't worth WWII, how did that work.out?

Yes, I think that China takes Taiwan, it's an internal matter that we need to avoid.

Now, if they want to take over Japan, that would be a different issue. Taiwan isn't worth WWIII.
Biden will avoid it. But will Trump? Do you side all the time with the most powerful? China has not earned running Taiwan. I had a Taiwanese woman work for me as an appraiser. She would cut your balls off for what you say.

I hired as an appraiser a woman named Linda K and she and her husband all came from Taiwan. We were driving to an appraisal site one day and I asked her about being Chinese. She gave me a look and told me she is not Chinese, but is Taiwanese. We chatted more and did the appraisal.

Um, that's nice. I also used to work with a lady from Taiwan with similar sentiments.

But you know what? They speak Mandarin, they write in traditional Hanzi, and they call themselves "the Republic of China". They're fucking Chinese.

Biden will avoid it. But will Trump? Do you side all the time with the most powerful? China has not earned running Taiwan. I had a Taiwanese woman work for me as an appraiser. She would cut your balls off for what you say.

Okay, so what's your point?

Are you willing to blow up the whole world because a small group of Chinese are still butthurt about a civil war they lost 75 years ago? I'm not.

The problem with people like you is that you have little understanding of Chinese history, and why China is very touchy on issues of national sovereignty.

Yeah, ths Brits and French thought that protecting Poland wasn't worth WWII, how did that work.out?

Terribly.

They should have told the Polish Colonels to give Hitler Danzig and Silesia and been done with it. Instead, they wrote the Polish Colonels a blank check, that they couldn't cash. Hitler made an agreement with Stalin and the war broke out.

Forum List

Back