Do you eat beans?

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
If you don't, you should. They are very good for your health, and studies show they lead to a longer lifespan. One doctor mentioned that after upping his bean intake, his white blood cell count went down, and his body didn't produce them to fight infection because they didn't need to, the beans were stepping in for that, and I don't remember what part of the bean was responsible for that. You only need two servings a week, and my favorite way to eat them is in soups, which also freeze well.

Yep, for once I'm in complete agreement.

I worked in a prison where the Warden insisted that there was a cauldron of ham/bean soup of some type (mostly Navy Beans), on the chow line with every meal, breakfast included, along with the regular menu for the day.

The said if a man won't eat anything else he will eat beans.....And he was right. You would be surprised at how many convicts had beans for breakfast.....Hell, I ate them too at times.

Yep, for once I'm in complete agreement.

I worked in a prison where the Warden insisted that there was a cauldron of ham/bean soup of some type (mostly Navy Beans), on the chow line with every meal, breakfast included, along with the regular menu for the day.

The said if a man won't eat anything else he will eat beans.....And he was right. You would be surprised at how many convicts had beans for breakfast.....Hell, I ate them too at times.
That's really interesting, there are a multitude of ways to eat beans, and it would seem to be a cheaper alternative to almond milk to make soy milk (oh, the horror!) which I've never done, at least not yet.

Inositol phosphate, called IP5, is the compound I was trying to remember.

That's really interesting, there are a multitude of ways to eat beans, and it would seem to be a cheaper alternative to almond milk to make soy milk (oh, the horror!) which I've never done, at least not yet.

Inositol phosphate, called IP5, is the compound I was trying to remember.

LOL....I remember one convict that put his grits in his beans. I never could quite square that one. ;)

Man I hated it when that Warden retired, the new Warden didn't hold with the practice.

Love bean. All kinds, sadly most bean varieties are either totally extinct, or nearly extinct by big Agra replacing all of those varieties with the few that produce the greatest yield.
Take the green bean.
Most Americans have absolutely no idea that a "green bean" is not a bean. It is a generic name for a VERY large family of beans that, for the most part, no longer exist.
The green bean you buy at the grocery store is nearly flavorless and nutritionally deficient compared to the wide availability of these family of beans in the past.

LOL....I remember one convict that put his grits in his beans. I never could quite square that one. ;)

Man I hated it when that Warden retired, the new Warden didn't hold with the practice.
Yea, that sounds like a cool warden to work for. I've gotten to buying bags of dry beans and doing away with the cans, they are so cheap, and perhaps even healthier. It always amazes me how the simplest and cheapest grown produce and other foods like legumes are always the healthiest.

Love bean. All kinds, sadly most bean varieties are either totally extinct, or nearly extinct by big Agra replacing all of those varieties with the few that produce the greatest yield.
Take the green bean.
Most Americans have absolutely no idea that a "green bean" is not a bean. It is a generic name for a VERY large family of beans that, for the most part, no longer exist.
The green bean you buy at the grocery store is nearly flavorless and nutritionally deficient compared to the wide availability of these family of beans in the past.
That's why you grow your own, which I've not done. Have you heard of the Three Sisters? They are beans, corn, and squash, the staple of Native American gatherers. They all complimented each other, the corn would grow and allow the beans a path upward, while the squash would take cover among the two and provide ground cover, acting like a mulch to help prevent moisture escaping from the soil.

Take the green bean.

Try Kentucky Wonders from the farmers market.

That's why you grow your own, which I've not done. Have you heard of the Three Sisters? They are beans, corn, and squash, the staple of Native American gatherers. They all complimented each other, the corn would grow and allow the beans a path upward, while the squash would take cover among the two and provide ground cover, acting like a mulch to help prevent moisture escaping from the soil.
You may have heard of a show on Netflix called "Ugly Delicious".
He visited a fellow, I believe was in Kentucky, who has spent decades collecting and preserving green bean verieties. It is believed that his collection is the only seeds that exist in the world of many green bean varieties. Only place in the world.
When he dies, many of those plants will be forever gone.
Same with Carrots. Again a carrot is not a vegetable. It is a generic name for a loooong line of root vegetables. The carrot we get at the store is an absolute worst example of a carrot. Grocery store "carrots" taste astringent and fairly bitter. Real carrot varieties taste very different, and 99% of Americans will never taste a real carrot their entire lives.
Finding good carrots is not easy. The best carrots, in my opinion, is white carrots. Most folks don't know they even exist. They are sweeter, and notably have less mineral flavor to them than orange and purple carrots.

Same with Carrots. Again a carrot is not a vegetable. It is a generic name for a loooong line of root vegetables. The carrot we get at the store is an absolute worst example of a carrot. Grocery store "carrots" taste astringent and fairly bitter. Real carrot varieties taste very different, and 99% of Americans will never taste a real carrot their entire lives.
Finding good carrots is not easy. The best carrots, in my opinion, is white carrots. Most folks don't know they even exist. They are sweeter, and notably have less mineral flavor to them than orange and purple carrots.
Love carrots, and usually buy the purple, white and orange organic variety. Nothing goes better with hummus than carrots, like those together better than I do hummus with flat bread.

Also, there is some repository somewhere that has about every bean and seed variety known to exist, all of them are in climate controlled storage in the event of an extinction of any of them.

And are legumes considered a vegetable or a fruit? I've heard them referred to as a fruit but think they are a veggie.

Love carrots, and usually buy the purple, white and orange organic variety.
You can't beat a good black bean. But if you really want a good carrot, you need to grow your own.

Nothing goes better with hummus than carrots, like those together better than I do hummus with flat bread.
Carrots? In 45 years of making and eating hummus, I've never heard of anyone eating it with carrots! You eat it with onion and pita bread.

And are legumes considered a vegetable or a fruit?
Vegetable. They may be the "fruit" of the plant but are a starchy grain.

Love carrots, and usually buy the purple, white and orange organic variety. Nothing goes better with hummus than carrots, like those together better than I do hummus with flat bread.

Also, there is some repository somewhere that has about every bean and seed variety known to exist, all of them are in climate controlled storage in the event of an extinction of any of them.

And are legumes considered a vegetable or a fruit? I've heard them referred to as a fruit but think they are a veggie.
Beans beans,
the wonderful fruit
the more you eat
the more you toot.

Carrots? In 45 years of making and eating hummus, I've never heard of anyone eating it with carrots! You eat it with onion and pita bread.
Yea, others have said that, but I think the two go together beautifully, and taste great together. It may take you to experiment a bit with different varieties of hummus to find the right mix, I like a spicier garlic blend.

Forum List

Back