Do You Breathe Free Air?

okfine

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2019
Gold Coast
1587521010180.png

LOL. I saw a guy arguing about how he put $1.50 into the air pump and it wouldn't work. The clerk had a remote control to turn on his "pay for air pump" The $1.50 guy was still pissed off. He left without asking for his money refunded.

Little do people know, but in California gas station air is free. *FOC free.
I know where you can get air free at some stations when they are closed. Look for a start button. Otherwise pay up.
I worked at a gas station once. When air was free and available anytime. As long as the compressor tank still had air.

* "Since 1999, California law has required “every service station in this state to provide, during operating hours, water, compressed air and a gauge for measuring air pressure to the public for use in servicing any passenger or commercial vehicle.
The law requires “that these air and water services be made available at no cost to customers who purchase motor vehicle fuel.
There’s supposed to be a sign near the compressor notifying people of their right, but such signs may be too small to read, or hidden, or not even posted.
If a gas station owner insists that you have to pay for air even after you’ve used the pump, stand your ground. If that doesn’t work, here’s the form to report the station to state officials."

View attachment 326409
LOL. I saw a guy arguing about how he put $1.50 into the air pump and it wouldn't work. The clerk had a remote control to turn on his "pay for air pump" The $1.50 guy was still pissed off. He left without asking for his money refunded.

I know where you can get air free at some stations when they are closed. Look for a start button. Otherwise pay up.
I worked at a gas station once. When air was free and available anytime. As long as the compressor tank still had air.

* "Since 1999, California law has required “every service station in this state to provide, during operating hours, water, compressed air and a gauge for measuring air pressure to the public for use in servicing any passenger or commercial vehicle.
The law requires “that these air and water services be made available at no cost to customers who purchase motor vehicle fuel.
There’s supposed to be a sign near the compressor notifying people of their right, but such signs may be too small to read, or hidden, or not even posted.
If a gas station owner insists that you have to pay for air even after you’ve used the pump, stand your ground. If that doesn’t work, here’s the form to report the station to state officials."

That is one of the few California regulation, I agree with. It used to be that way (not by regulation) here in Tennessee and my native Kentucky. Not any more. I have been told that people were cutting and stealing air hoses, prompting the change, but I think air compressors maintained by the filling stations for the benefit of their customers and little kids on bicycles, just stimulated their profit motivations, more than the good will they had for their customers.

View attachment 326409

That is one of the few California regulation, I agree with. It used to be that way (not by regulation) here in Tennessee and my native Kentucky. Not any more. I have been told that people were cutting and stealing air hoses, prompting the change, but I think air compressors maintained by the filling stations for the benefit of their customers and little kids on bicycles, just stimulated their profit motivations, more than the good will they had for their customers.

You've crushed the VALUE of a "good will" motive by MANDATING it... Franchise owners are CRUSHED for profit by the oil companies.. They are victims, not greedy.. That's why they have to convenience stores to survive... Don't want their parking lots filled with people cleaning, vaccuming their cars, leaving tons of litter and not buying anything..

View attachment 326409

You've crushed the VALUE of a "good will" motive by MANDATING it... Franchise owners are CRUSHED for profit by the oil companies.. They are victims, not greedy.. That's why they have to convenience stores to survive... Don't want their parking lots filled with people cleaning, vaccuming their cars, leaving tons of litter and not buying anything..
Most the time there is little to no parking as it is.

Buy a little portable air compressor and it will
always be free from then on. (under $30 at WalMart for a cheap one)
Feature you are driving a late model 2 seater with limited room and you have a low air $300-$400 tire. Oh Shit!
Feature you drive something that has access to a spark plug hole.

1587524708683.png

View attachment 326409

Some stations in NYS remove those buttons; removing the button is illegal.

I like to live dangerously and fill my tires up with
nitroglycerin .

A lot of car dealerships around here fill tires with nitrogen to try to lure the new owners into coming back and paying them to keep refilling them as needed for like $5 per tire. Of course they claim to add it to every tire so you end up paying $20 every time a tire needs air until you finally just let it out and start using free air from Sheetz

nitroglycerin .

A lot of car dealerships around here fill tires with nitrogen to try to lure the new owners into coming back and paying them to keep refilling them as needed for like $5 per tire. Of course they claim to add it to every tire so you end up paying $20 every time a tire needs air until you finally just let it out and start using free air from Sheetz
Liquid nitrogen stays cold inside the tires causing air pressure to escape ?

nitroglycerin .

Liquid nitrogen stays cold inside the tires causing air pressure to escape ?

plain old compressed air is close to 80% nitrogen so all the people are paying for is about 10-12% more nitrogen.

View attachment 326409

Of course I didn't. I live 3/4 of the way across Tennessee from you. Never voted in California. Haven't even visited. I did grow up pushing my bike to the local country grocery stor and filling station to air up tires for free. If your were driving a car, Mr Oliver would come out and pump your gas. Real filling stations, pumped your gas, checked your oil, tires without charging for the extra service, and they often gave green stamps. Although, I think their real money was made on the mechanic on duty, selling tires and other automotive. I've crushed nothing and nobody. You got the wrong guy. I certainly have no problem with it though. Some states in this self serve age regulate that you cannot pump your own gas. I try to avoid having my wife have to do that, but nobody hears me bitching about having to pump mine here in the Great State of Tennessee. My daughter used to managed a convenience store. She did not tell me they were crushed for profits by the oil companies. She did say that Beer, cigarettes and snack food was where the money was at her location. The family that owned it, owned 4 other. For being crushed by the oil companies, they are pretty wealthy. If that is the way it is where you are or have been, maybe those entrepreneurs should choose a better business, business location or business model, if their profit expectations were not met for the resources they invested, doing what they chose to do. I did not grow up seeing vacuum cleaners at filling stations, but air and water were free at all filling stations long after self serve came on the scene. Sorry about your California experiences, FlaCalTenn.

View attachment 326409

Of course I didn't. I live 3/4 of the way across Tennessee from you. Never voted in California. Haven't even visited. I did grow up pushing my bike to the local country grocery stor and filling station to air up tires for free. If your were driving a car, Mr Oliver would come out and pump your gas. Real filling stations, pumped your gas, checked your oil, tires without charging for the extra service, and they often gave green stamps. Although, I think their real money was made on the mechanic on duty, selling tires and other automotive. I've crushed nothing and nobody. You got the wrong guy. I certainly have no problem with it though. Some states in this self serve age regulate that you cannot pump your own gas. I try to avoid having my wife have to do that, but nobody hears me bitching about having to pump mine here in the Great State of Tennessee. My daughter used to managed a convenience store. She did not tell me they were crushed for profits by the oil companies. She did say that Beer, cigarettes and snack food was where the money was at her location. The family that owned it, owned 4 other. For being crushed by the oil companies, they are pretty wealthy. If that is the way it is where you are or have been, maybe those entrepreneurs should choose a better business, business location or business model, if their profit expectations were not met for the resources they invested, doing what they chose to do. I did not grow up seeing vacuum cleaners at filling stations, but air and water were free at all filling stations long after self serve came on the scene. Sorry about your California experiences, FlaCalTenn.
My good friend and family owned many different stations through their lives. I turned wrenches for him and his Dad and brother at a Chevron station. Mostly oilfield vehicles for the best money. They used to rent 4x4's, trailers and Baker tanks. Then one day the bottom fell out of the oil biz. The old man said thats enough and then went to selling sodas and beer which made them much more money than getting dirty plus all the headaches along with it. I learned so much about the business end from them and owe them so much for it. Sometimes out with the old, and in with the new is not such a bad deal.

Forum List

Back