Do we still need Sign Language?

Tangent Alert: Watching the people signing beside these politicians when they are talking about the CaHuna Virus is hilarious. Their facial gyrations crack me up. Can't help it.
Some are quite good

What is the sign for Coronavirus?

Sign Language has been in place for over a hundred years as a means for deaf people to communicate.
Technology today puts a computer in everyone’s hand

It is easy enough for anyone who doesn’t know sign language to communicate with a deaf person through text messages.
Voice recognition has advanced to the point where a deaf person can convert spoken words to text. Why do we still need someone signing on the sidelines?

Yes, we have a lot of nonverbal kids that can do a limited amount of sign language that can't communicate otherwise and lack the cognitive functioning or focus to send text messages or work through a computer. Some kids can pick up real quick and like working with tablets etc. Others utilize PECS
The Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)

You can't just "teach" them. They will decide which tool works best for them.

Sign language can get you so far

But there are no signs for: Coronavirus, inoculation, self isolation

It’s funny I always say that matter fact my wife gets sick of me always saying it LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago I had a neighbor who was deaf. My first wife and I learned sign to communicate with her, and I still know most of what I learned.

The biggest thing I learned was a quote from Helen Keller. "Blindness separates you from things. Deafness separates you from people".

Sign Language has been in place for over a hundred years as a means for deaf people to communicate.

It is easy enough for anyone who doesn’t know sign language to communicate with a deaf person through text messages.
Voice recognition has advanced to the point where a deaf person can convert spoken words to text. Why do we still need someone signing on the sidelines?
I have no idea but I do know my 18-month-old grandson is just learning to speak but has been signing for several months. There is nothing wrong with him, it is just easier to learn to sign simple things, 'more', 'help', etc., than to learn the words for them.

You're kidding I hope. Sign language isn't just for translation of speeches and such, it's for personal interaction. How would you like it if every thing you said had to go through a computer? Or if you couldn't communicate because your battery died?

Having a sign language interpreter is a very important function when someone is giving a speech.

They should also require a Farsi sign language interpreter, a Swahili sign language interpreter, a Portuguese sign language interpreter, and someone who can sign in Pig Latin.

sign_language_anthem_10.2018-3493.jpg
Pshaw. Like you can speak pig Latin.

You're kidding I hope. Sign language isn't just for translation of speeches and such, it's for personal interaction. How would you like it if every thing you said had to go through a computer? Or if you couldn't communicate because your battery died?
Ever met an American teenager and see how they communicate? They text across a table.

95 percent of Americans have access to a smart phone, maybe 5 percent know sign language.

I look at sign language like shorthand was in the 60s. Once computers came along, shorthand disappeared. Nobody uses it anymore.

Sign language can get you so far

But there are no signs for: Coronavirus, inoculation, self isolation

Short hand develops pretty quickly in any language, and ASL is no different. I am sure there is already a sign for the corona virus. If not, you spell it out.

I don't know the sign for inoculation, so you may be right that it doesn't exists. But there is a sign for vaccination. Won't that do?

As for self-isolation, there is no English word for it either. So we use two words to convey the idea. Use the sign for self and the sign for isolation.

Ever met an American teenager and see how they communicate? They text across a table.

95 percent of Americans have access to a smart phone, maybe 5 percent know sign language.

I look at sign language like shorthand was in the 60s. Once computers came along, shorthand disappeared. Nobody uses it anymore.

I question that Schmartphone statistiic, BIGLY. I only got one last month, and I'm ready to toss it in the river. It's useless.

I have no idea but I do know my 18-month-old grandson is just learning to speak but has been signing for several months. There is nothing wrong with him, it is just easier to learn to sign simple things, 'more', 'help', etc., than to learn the words for them.

I'm surprised the OP didn't think of this as well --- without sign language, there would be no baseball. :eek:

Having a sign language interpreter is a very important function when someone is giving a speech.

They should also require a Farsi sign language interpreter, a Swahili sign language interpreter, a Portuguese sign language interpreter, and someone who can sign in Pig Latin.

sign_language_anthem_10.2018-3493.jpg
Pshaw. Like you can speak pig Latin.

Oink non possum dicere.

How else will the deaf talk about us "behind our backs?"

How else will the deaf talk about us "behind our backs?"

They probably have zenophobic names they call us behind out backs. Like "hearies" or "earmongers."

I have a disabled child, so I'm around the disabled community. Sign language is alive and well.

I'm surprised the OP didn't think of this as well --- without sign language, there would be no baseball. :eek:

Without sign language, road rage incidents would increase dramatically.

Forum List

Back