Did you know....

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
This thread is for general trivia. You are encouraged to add some Did You Knows, because maybe some of us didn't!

Please post ONE at a time. The more interesting, the better!

All are welcome to participate and let's have fun with this!

Question_mark1.gif

Did you know each time you see a full moon you always see the same side?

Did you know in every episode of Seinfeld there is a reference to Superman?

Did you know all the blinking in one day equates to having your eyes closed for 30 minutes?

Did you know that calico cats are always, or almost always, female?

Calico cats are almost always female because the X chromosome determines the color of the cat, and female cats—much like all female mammals—have two X chromosomes, whereas male mammals, including common male cats, have one X and one Y chromosome.[2][8][10] Since the Y chromosome does not have any color genes, there is no chance he could have both orange and non-orange together. One main exception to this is when, in rare cases, a male has XXY chromosomes (see Klinefelter's syndrome), in which case the male could have tortoiseshell or calico markings. Male calico or tortoiseshell cats are sterile due to the abnormality of carrying two X chromosomes. Few of these males can breed (1 in 3,000) and are rejected by breeders for studding purposes and would, in any event, pass on only one of those X chromosomes to any male offspring, producing normal (non-calico) male kittens. "In the case of a calico cat, the feline’s parents passed on different versions of X chromosomes genes related to coat color."[8] The color of calico or tortoiseshell cats is determined by the X chromosome(s). Tortoiseshell and calico cats are almost always female because of X chromosome inactivation.[11][12]
Wiki

I've known for many years that all calicos are female because my dad loved animals and knew a lot about cats and dogs. In my early 20s I had a calico cat and that was one of the first things Dad told me when he learned I had her. And he was right.

calicocatportrait.jpg

images

Last edited:
The names of all continents both start and end with the same letter.

Asia
Africa
North America
South America
Antartica
Europe
Australia

Did you know most cows produce more milk when they listen to music?

Did you know a giraffe can go longer without water than a camel?

Millions of trees grow every year thanks to squirrel’s forgetting where they put their nuts?

Sea otters hold each other’s paws when they sleep so they don’t drift apart?

There’s an immortal jellyfish.
It is still susceptible to predators but the Turritopsis nutricula jellyfish is extremely good at regenerating cells, “revealing a transformation potential unparalleled in the animal kingdom.” Scientists are currently studying it in hopes they can apply these amazing qualities to human life.

Sea horses are monogamous life mates and travel holding each other’s tails.

Forum List

Back