Did You Know That Moses Had Two Wives?

To suggest that it takes some elite with a special education to read and comprehend text that by majority is translated into 8th grade comprehension skill level is absurd. The scriptures are where doctrine is established.......a doctrine that builds faith. What kind of FAITH to you have if you must depend upon the private translation of some person professing to be your superior? God is not the author of Confusion. He makes it clear that you can read and comprehend the scriptures.....all it takes is personal study to make one approved of God. There is no need to be ASHAMED.

"Study to show yourself approved unto God; a workman that needth not be ashamed; rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Tim. 2:15. We are told that when we read what is written within the revealed word of God; WE MAY UNDERSTAND IT. (Eph. 3:4) And we are told that God DESIRES we all come to the knowledge of the truth (not a few elite that reserve private interpretation)......but WE ALL. (1 Tim. 2:3,4)

If God commands that WE ALL come to the knowledge of the truth........why are you attempting to limit KNOWLEGE as being reserved for just a few self professed elites? That is exactly why the Crusades and the Inquisitions occurred......the elite within the Catholic Church (that controlled all state governments) made it illegal for anyone to even possess a copy of the Holy Sciptures........made it illegal to read from them in anything other than a dead language (LATIN) that one had to study many years simply to get a rudimentary understanding.

"

The most important thing to consider when reading from the scriptures is comprehending the fact that simply because something is found in the Holy Scriptures is no indication that God approves of everything recorded......as the Holy Scriptures are in fact a history, they include the good, the bad and the ugly in revealing that history. All TRUTH.

For example the practice of having multiple wives: It was a prevalent (common place) practice)....but the scriptures do not glorify that practice or use it as a symbolism for success. Abraham had a wife (Sarah) and a concubine (lover.....Hagar) who was constantly fighting with Sarah (Gen. 16:4-6, 21:9-10). Jacob also had to deal with jealousy, disputes and rivalry between his wives who were also sisters. (Gen. 29:32; 30:16-18). Thus, Jacob did not treat his wives as equals (Gen. 29:30-31).......then we have the circumstance of one of the wisest men in the old testament .....Solomon, his wives lead him away from serving God. (1 Kings 11:1-6).

All throughout the Old Testament we find examples of men engaging in practices that God did not necessarily condone......but because the practice was prevalent....God would regulate it. Its clear the scriptures teach that marriage is between one man and one woman as approved by God. In the beginning God said, "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife (singular).....AND THEY SHALL BECOME "ONE FLESH)" -- Gen. 2:24. Not 3,4 or more........but the 2 shall become 1 flesh. Just as the Christ pointed out concerning marriage, when He referenced Genesis 2:24 and made it clear.........marriage is between one man and one woman (Matt. 19:4-6)

Multiple wives is much like the prevalent practice of DIVORCE.....God did not condone it but........"The Lord God of Israel says that He hates divorce...........(Malachi 2:16) and the Christ points out, "Moses (not God.....but Moses, a personal law from Moses) because of the hardness of your heart, permitted you to divorce your wives, BUT FROM THE BEGINNING IT WAS NOT SO." -- Matt. 19:8.

In the beginning God defined marriage as one man and one woman becoming ONE FLESH. (Genesis 2:24)

Just because "MAN and his laws" allow a prevalent practice is no indication that God approves. Its simply an accurate history. What other book about another nation would reveal all the skeleton's hidden in the people's closets? The Holy Scriptures presents TRUTH as its found. Both righteous and unrighteous. Right and Wrong. Good and Evil. We are made in the image of God in being able to freely choose our own faiths. By majority mankind chooses errantly from the will of God.

Futurism and Scofield are fairly new.. like 1840s. It made headway during the Dust Bowl years and the Depression and then got a boost in the 1970s from the prophet Hal Lindsey. Its pretty much the basis for Dominionism and Dispensationalism.
Basically.............in a quick summary, the law (God's laws or covenants) are contained within the teachings of the 10 commandments. All the 10 commandments.....save one (the Sabbath) are carried forward into the New Testament of Grace or the Law of Christ (the Christian worships on the 1st day of the week i.e., Sunday because that is when the disciples of Christ would meet to break bread Acts 20:7, Acts 2:24, when the whole local church would come together 1 Cor. 11:18). Jesus nailed the Old Law to the Cross (Col. 2:14-17) and his teachings omitted the Sabbath because the Sabbath worship was specifically for the Jews only under the covenant of (the Law of Moses). Its comparable to the law of circumcision.....if the Sabbath or Circumcision were carried over it would prohibit GENTILE membership of the church....because both were specifically for the nation of Biblical Israel. The Sabbath for a Christian (or day of rest) comes after life is over.

But, as pointed out......in a summary fashion the Christ was asked what is the most important or greatest commandment of all. Jesus had an answer (Matt. 22:34-40) Even though the answer did not include any of the 10 commandments his answer is found 3 times in the Old Testament (Deut. 6:4; 10:12, and 30:6) His answer "thou shalt love thy God with all they heart and all thy soul...." Then Jesus stated the second greatest command and said it was like unto the 1st, "...love thy neighbor....."

Neither of these are of the great 10 commandments but if you follow the advise of the Christ........and use them, you can't help but follow the laws written in stone because they will be written on YOUR HEART. Just as prophesied in Jer. 31:31-34. As prophesied We are today....now......living under a New Covenant, the Covenant of Christ..........unlike the Law of Moses. Thus all the records of the Old Testament are to be used by the Christian as a School Teacher to learn (Romans 15:4) from them the true History of our faith and avoid the same mistakes that were made by them. As the old axiom state, "If you don't learn from history you are doomed to repeat it......"

Eventually...........because Biblical Israel strayed from God's word........Israel ceased to be a nation in the 1st century AD.

Last edited:
It's an an open opinion.
Some say that when Moshe send Yisro back to Midyan, Tziporah stayed with Moshe and some say not.
Tziporah, being a Midyanite, was Black.

Midianites weren't black. They looked like Arabs, Jews, Syrians etc.

The Midianites are the descendants of Midian, just as it says in Genesis 25:1-3 where it was written, “Abraham took another wife, whose name was Keturah. She bore him Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah.

Jokshan fathered Sheba and Dedan. The sons of Dedan were Asshurim, Letushim, and Leummim.” Midian had sons too and “The sons of Midian were Ephah, Epher, Hanoch, Abida, and Eldaah. All these were the children of Keturah”(Gen 25:4) who Abraham married after Sarah’s death.

The Bible is quite a complicated collection of books. (That is a truism.) It is far too complicated for ordinary laymen to know and remember all the details in it. That is why I depend on Bible scholars and research to confirm or explain what I am told or already believe is there.

Another thread here at USMB prompted my researching the question regarding Moses' wives. Here is part of what I found.

I suppose the "don't spill the seed" regulation was implemented about then ?

asaratis

This is interesting and gives possible explanations as well as some insights into Josephus.

NJAB - Who was Moses' wife? A Midianite, a Cushite, or both?

Midianites are referred to as shepherds and traders or merchants in the Old Testament (See Genesis 37:28; Exodus 2:16-17). Midian and Moab, to its north, were allied (Numbers 22:4, 7). The Midianites were part of Moab's attempts to corrupt Israel (Numbers 25:1-9).

Midianites weren't black. They looked like Arabs, Jews, Syrians etc.

The Midianites are the descendants of Midian, just as it says in Genesis 25:1-3 where it was written, “Abraham took another wife, whose name was Keturah. She bore him Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah.

Jokshan fathered Sheba and Dedan. The sons of Dedan were Asshurim, Letushim, and Leummim.” Midian had sons too and “The sons of Midian were Ephah, Epher, Hanoch, Abida, and Eldaah. All these were the children of Keturah”(Gen 25:4) who Abraham married after Sarah’s death.
And…so?

The Bible is quite a complicated collection of books. (That is a truism.) It is far too complicated for ordinary laymen to know and remember all the details in it. That is why I depend on Bible scholars and research to confirm or explain what I am told or already believe is there.

Another thread here at USMB prompted my researching the question regarding Moses' wives. Here is part of what I found.

Abraham had 3 wives and many concubines. Jacob had 2 wives and 2 concubines. David had " many " wives and many " concubines. The granddaddy of them all was Solomon he had 700 wives and 300 concubines. The objective of the tribe was to reproduce and reproduce to make a stronger tribe with many strong warriors to protect the tribe from all it's perceived enemies. And of course their tribal god told them to do this.

Men back then were allowed several wives...........but it depended on their status and wealth.
Much like the dowries the fathers gave with their daughters...........it depended on their wealth and status.
King Solomon supposedly the wisest man who ever lived, had 700 wives plus 300 concubines.

1645865277048.jpeg

Last edited:
King Solomon supposedly the wisest man who ever lived, had 700 wives plus 300 concubines.

View attachment 607174
The story about Solomon is grossly exaggerated. His kingdom wasn't large. His mines were Egyptian and later Edomite. Most construction attributed to Solomon was built by King omri.

Of course I knew that! He also had a rubber band gun and a pizza cutter.

The Bible was written to CONFUSE those without the Spirit of God. Those NOT being called into His Kingdom tell us it cannot be understood.

The TRUTH is, it was never intended for the masses to understand AT THIS TIME

The Bible was written to CONFUSE those without the Spirit of God. Those NOT being called into His Kingdom tell us it cannot be understood.

The TRUTH is, it was never intended for the masses to understand AT THIS TIME
I thought retarded Paul said God wasn't the God of confusion?

Zippy was cute

I thought retarded Paul said God wasn't the God of confusion?
He's not. Humans without the Spirit are confused

"for this cause (marriage) shall a man leave his father and mother and cleave unto his WIFE and the TWO shall become ONE FLESH" -- Jesus

Last edited:
Abraham had ONE wife. But even if he did, God CLEARLY showed that a man can only legitimately have one wife. Why is this silliness even debated
What are you talking about his second wife was the mother of stupid Muslims

Forum List

Back