Dicks and Walmart getting sued HAHA

What does 'signing a contract' have to do with it?

What does having a credit card have to do with it, try renting a car without one, most rental car companies won't even accept cash.

I'm really tired of the non sequitur questions in this thread.
all examples of the same thing. discrimination of something.

Right, refusing service to someone who is unable to pay is the exact same thing as refusing service for the color of one's skin.
sure they can afford it, they merely don't carry a credit card. Instead, they have cash, not allowed.

This is such a stupid conversation and I blame myself for replying to you. The credit card is to cover damages beyond whatever the car rental rate is, usually to fill the insurance deductible gap.

Again, this is a truly pointless and I have no idea why I'm responding to such a waste of time.

What does having a credit card have to do with it, try renting a car without one, most rental car companies won't even accept cash.

Right, refusing service to someone who is unable to pay is the exact same thing as refusing service for the color of one's skin.
sure they can afford it, they merely don't carry a credit card. Instead, they have cash, not allowed.

This is such a stupid conversation and I blame myself for replying to you. The credit card is to cover damages beyond whatever the car rental rate is, usually to fill the insurance deductible gap.

Again, this is a truly pointless and I have no idea why I'm responding to such a waste of time.
is it refusing service or not? Cash vs credit card.

a better question is where to you stand on it? Can bakeries discriminate if Walmart can discriminate?
The difference is that a baker is an artist, and as such has to craft the item desired by the customer.

That's incorrect. The gay couple didn't ask the baker to create a unique cake, they simply ordered a cake that the baker already makes, they didn't ask for anything additional or creative. Basically, they ordered a product.

Contracted, not point of sale.

PA law shouldn't apply in this narrow case.

So if a gay person orders a Whopper at BK, they have to sell it to him, but if a gay person orders a Whopper without cheese,

BK can refuse because they don't do special orders for gays?

lol

Only if they order a special gay burger and want the restaurant to deliver, when the restaurant doesn't do gay burgers.

Totally doesn't match up with the bakery but OK.

The difference is that a baker is an artist, and as such has to craft the item desired by the customer.

That's incorrect. The gay couple didn't ask the baker to create a unique cake, they simply ordered a cake that the baker already makes, they didn't ask for anything additional or creative. Basically, they ordered a product.

So if a gay person orders a Whopper at BK, they have to sell it to him, but if a gay person orders a Whopper without cheese,

lol

Only if they order a special gay burger and want the restaurant to deliver, when the restaurant doesn't do gay burgers.

refusing service is refusing service.

Did someone ever make the point that a business can never refuse service? Again, pointless.

lol

Whatever that means.

Did someone ever make the point that a business can never refuse service? Again, pointless.
well yes they are. It's going to SCOTUS

lol

Whatever that means.
why does it matter why one refuses service? refusing it is still refusing it. then one can never refuse service

I think the point is pretty obvious from the left.

Refusing service that goes against progressive ideology is bad.

Refusing service that goes against conservative ideology is good.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...420060cb7bd_story.html?utm_term=.aad35c23c783
PORTLAND, Ore. — An Oregon man filed suits Monday claiming Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart discriminated against the 20-year-old when they refused to sell him a rifle.

Dick’s and Walmart restricted gun sales to adults 21 and older in the wake of the Florida high school massacre. The 19-year-old accused in the school slaying bought the AR-15 used in the attack legally.

Oregon law allows residents to buy shotguns or rifles starting at age 18.

Watson is asking judges to force Dick’s and Walmart “to stop unlawfully discriminating against 18, 19, and 20 year-old customers at all Oregon locations.” Additionally, he is asking for unspecified punitive damages.
-----------

2015 ORS 659A.403¹
Discrimination in place of public accommodation prohibited

Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, all persons within the jurisdiction of this state are entitled to the full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities and privileges of any place of public accommodation, without any distinction, discrimination or restriction on account of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status or age if the individual is of age, as described in this section, or older.
Looks like those fascist PA laws are coming back to haunt some people :badgrin:

No shirts, no shoes, no serve. This will be an interesting case--but I think private business & industry in this country have the U.S. Constitutional right to refuse service to anyone they choose.

Under federal anti-discrimination laws, businesses can refuse service to any person for any reason, unless the business is discriminating against a protected class. At the national level, protected classes include: Race or color.Mar 21, 2017
The Right to Refuse Service: Can a Business Refuse Service to Someone?

IOW--
if wedding cake and pizza joints can refuse service to gays and get away with it, I would presume that Dick's sporting goods and Walmart &-(since they are both national companies) located in more than one state can refuse service on all gun sales to people under 21, regardless of Oregon state law.

RogerR20120424_low.jpg

You have to be 21 years old in this country to qualify for purchase of a handgun. Is that discrimination? AR-15's AK'S & others are not classified as military assault weapons or semi-automatics, they are simply classified as "rifles."
Kroger to raise age limit on gun sales to 21
they have a state law that includes age in discrimination laws

It doesn't matter if they have a state law, the U.S. Constitution will always "TRUMP" state law. IOW--if this got as far as the U.S. Supreme Court--the Oregon law would be overruled. Business's can refuse service to anyone they choose, as long as it's not about race or color. The second issue with this is that they are both national corporations, and therefore not necessarily controlled by a single state law.

You should know by now--that if wedding cake makers and pizza joints can refuse service to gays--then guns sales by private business can also be discretional according to age.
Where does the Constitution mention race or color?

I just posted it, here it is again. It's federal anti-discrimation law.

Under federal anti-discrimination laws, businesses can refuse service to any person for any reason, unless the business is discriminating against a protected class. At the national level, protected classes include: Race or color.Mar 21, 2017

Last edited:

Well yes they are make the point that a business can never refuse service? What?

If a Christian baker can send a gay couple to a different bakery, I don't see why WAL-MART can't send a 20 year old to CABELAS to buy a rifle.

We have government WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too involed in our shit.

lol

Whatever that means.
why does it matter why one refuses service? refusing it is still refusing it. then one can never refuse service

I know I'm going to regret this. So, you're point is that no one should be refused service, ever?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...420060cb7bd_story.html?utm_term=.aad35c23c783
PORTLAND, Ore. — An Oregon man filed suits Monday claiming Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart discriminated against the 20-year-old when they refused to sell him a rifle.

Dick’s and Walmart restricted gun sales to adults 21 and older in the wake of the Florida high school massacre. The 19-year-old accused in the school slaying bought the AR-15 used in the attack legally.

Oregon law allows residents to buy shotguns or rifles starting at age 18.

Watson is asking judges to force Dick’s and Walmart “to stop unlawfully discriminating against 18, 19, and 20 year-old customers at all Oregon locations.” Additionally, he is asking for unspecified punitive damages.
-----------

2015 ORS 659A.403¹
Discrimination in place of public accommodation prohibited

Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, all persons within the jurisdiction of this state are entitled to the full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities and privileges of any place of public accommodation, without any distinction, discrimination or restriction on account of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status or age if the individual is of age, as described in this section, or older.
Looks like those fascist PA laws are coming back to haunt some people :badgrin:

No shirts, no shoes, no serve. This will be an interesting case--but I think private business & industry in this country have the U.S. Constitutional right to refuse service to anyone they choose.

IOW--
if wedding cake and pizza joints can refuse service to gays and get away with it, I would presume that Dick's sporting goods and Walmart &-(since they are both national companies) located in more than one state can refuse service on all gun sales to people under 21, regardless of Oregon state law.

RogerR20120424_low.jpg

You have to be 21 years old in this country to qualify for purchase of a handgun. Is that discrimination? AR-15's AK'S & others are not classified as military assault weapons or semi-automatics, they are simply classified as "rifles."
Kroger to raise age limit on gun sales to 21
they have a state law that includes age in discrimination laws

It doesn't matter if they have a state law, the U.S. Constitution will always "TRUMP" state law. IOW--if this got as far as the U.S. Supreme Court--the Oregon law would be overruled. Business's can refuse service to anyone they choose, as long as it's not about race or color. The second issue with this is that they are both national corporations, and therefore not necessarily controlled by a single state law.

You should know by now--that if wedding cake makers and pizza joints can refuse service to gays--then guns sales by private business can also be discretional according to age.
Where does the Constitution mention race or color?

I just posted it, here it is again. It's federal anti-discrimation law.

I asked you where it said that in the Constitution.
You said the Constitution would trump this state law, i am asking you how.

Whatever that means.

I know I'm going to regret this. So, you're point is that no one should be refused service, ever?
Nope. Never. Unless it is coming from the government.

Well yes they are make the point that a business can never refuse service? What?

It's hilarious--these right wing nut cases were all over this board defending a pizza joint's refusal to serve a gay wedding. Citing the same law I am--that now, they all of a sudden don't remember it exists--:auiqs.jpg:

daffy+duck+stupid+people+and+aliens.jpg

Last edited:

Whatever that means.

Nope. Never. Unless it is coming from the government.

That's a very idiotic and radical point of view.

Forum List

Back