Dick Cheney Said, "The Debt Doesn't Matter, Reagan Proved That"

Of course the debt doesn't matter when you always have some smart Democrat to clean up your shitty messes for you.

Cheney and Reagan were the idiots in their terms. Well, their administrations were mostly idiots but that's beside the point.

In Richard Clarke's book he told that in George W. Bush's first cabinet meeting Cheney said, "The Debt Doesn't Matter, Reagan Proved That." He was referring to the fact that in 1981 the debt was less than $1 trillion and when George Herbert Walker Bush left office in 1993 the debt had quadrupled to more than $4 trillion.

Of course during the two terms of George W. Bush he cut taxes twice...in 2001 and 2003 and doubled the national debt from $5.7 trillion to over $11 trillion.

What he meant was, if you're rich and already have it made don't worry...the stock market will do just fine. What we're seeing now is that for 90% of Americans...it does matter.

I think it's obvious what Cheney meant. The debt doesn't matter when there is a Republican President.
....At LEAST, until everyones' pockets...

bush_family_bw_450_252.jpg

jc2.gif

Of course the debt doesn't matter when you always have some smart Democrat to clean up your shitty messes for you.

"Suddenly, it seems everyone in Washington is singing the virtues of retiring the national debt. For two decades, as deficits mounted, it was a nonissue. But the prospect of surpluses has economists and policymakers thinking the unthinkable: erasing the $3.8 trillion pile of federal IOUs held by the public."

:clap2:

Funny. I thought Reagan proved it did matter. Didn't be defeat the Soviets because we out financed them?
You mean OUT-SPENT....right??????

I'm sure all those proud-Americans (who were HEAVILY-INVE$TED in our WEAPON$-INDU$TRY), approved!!!!!!

(Yeah.....it was alllllllllllllllllllll about our National Defense.)

handjob.gif

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y06NSBBRtY]Eisenhower warns us of the military industrial complex. - YouTube[/ame]​

What he meant was that a growing economy and inflationary forces will nullify debt over time; it's no more sinister than that.
Yeah.....that's what it takes......

handjob.gif

*​

"Not only was the entire national deficit eliminated after raising taxes on the wealthy in 1993, but the economy grew so fast for the remainder of the decade that many conservative economists thought that the Fed should raise the prime interest rate in order to slow it down."

funny. I thought reagan proved it did matter. Didn't be defeat the soviets because we out financed them?
no

Funny, that is what most Historians, and the Russian themselves say. Our spending, Mostly on Modernizing our Nuke Arsenal was to much to match for Russia, they tried and collapsed. Period.

Please!!!

The Cold War was a

MEGA/BU$INE$$ HU$TLE!!!

.....And, it....

WASN'T THE LA$T-ONE!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zt9BZD7mlc]Iraq For Sale - Full Movie - YouTube[/ame]​

The debt matters now.

So why now? Why didn't it matter when Republicans spent like Amy Winehouse in Amsterdam on two (unpaid for) wars, Medicare Part D (unpaid for) and tax cuts (unpaid for)?

Um, because debt to GDP is way higher now than it was then, and that's the only figure that really matters? Or is that too complicated for ya, Nancy?
Yeah.....let's hear it!!, for.....

TruthMatters ask that you always post after her so she won't look like the stupidest poster in the thread

Ya gotta love it when the Repugnants start talking about the GDP and the percentages. The fact of the matter is that both the Bushes and Reagan cut taxes by trillions of dollars so their wealthy friends and corporations would have a walk in the park and increased the debt more than at any time in America's history.

In the 1950's when we were in debt from the 2 WW anybody in this country who earned more than $300,000 per year paid 91 percent of the excess in taxes. Back then people paid their share.

In the late 1940's and early 1950's a corporate executive made about 4 or 5 times what a carpenter earned. By the 1970's that multiplier was 50 times. Guess what it was last year. The average CEO in this country earned 550 times what an assembly line worker earned and that doesn't even include the corporate jet(tax free) and the golden umbrella. What a goddam mess the greedy rich people have made of this country. I'm 77 years old and when I was in my 20's, 30's if anyone had told me that this would ever happen I would have thought they were crazy. Everybody used to be fair minded. Corporations shared with their employees and paid taxes to the government. Now they look at the bottom line profit and would suck a biggie just to make it a higher percentage. I'm ashamed of the way our country has gone down the tubes by relocating companies to other countries and absolutely screwing the middle class.

Why doesn't the Neo-Marxist Dem Party run on a 91% Good Old Days Income Tax?

Commies don't pay taxes..comrade.

In Richard Clarke's book he told that in George W. Bush's first cabinet meeting Cheney said, "The Debt Doesn't Matter, Reagan Proved That." He was referring to the fact that in 1981 the debt was less than $1 trillion and when George Herbert Walker Bush left office in 1993 the debt had quadrupled to more than $4 trillion.

Of course during the two terms of George W. Bush he cut taxes twice...in 2001 and 2003 and doubled the national debt from $5.7 trillion to over $11 trillion.

What he meant was, if you're rich and already have it made don't worry...the stock market will do just fine. What we're seeing now is that for 90% of Americans...it does matter.

He said "the deficit doesn't matter."

If you're going to slam the man, at least get what he said right.

Ya gotta love it when the Repugnants start talking about the GDP and the percentages. The fact of the matter is that both the Bushes and Reagan cut taxes by trillions of dollars so their wealthy friends and corporations would have a walk in the park and increased the debt more than at any time in America's history.

In the 1950's when we were in debt from the 2 WW anybody in this country who earned more than $300,000 per year paid 91 percent of the excess in taxes. Back then people paid their share.

In the late 1940's and early 1950's a corporate executive made about 4 or 5 times what a carpenter earned. By the 1970's that multiplier was 50 times. Guess what it was last year. The average CEO in this country earned 550 times what an assembly line worker earned and that doesn't even include the corporate jet(tax free) and the golden umbrella. What a goddam mess the greedy rich people have made of this country. I'm 77 years old and when I was in my 20's, 30's if anyone had told me that this would ever happen I would have thought they were crazy. Everybody used to be fair minded. Corporations shared with their employees and paid taxes to the government. Now they look at the bottom line profit and would suck a biggie just to make it a higher percentage. I'm ashamed of the way our country has gone down the tubes by relocating companies to other countries and absolutely screwing the middle class.

Why doesn't the Neo-Marxist Dem Party run on a 91% Good Old Days Income Tax?

Commies don't pay taxes..comrade.
Now, my dearest Mr. Sallow. You're not really calling poor American people commies, are ya? Wanna clarify that statement just a little bit?

There was no Tea Party back then.

....Or, the impetus FOR one;
A BLACK-MAN
IN THE OVAL OFFICE!!!!

Then why is it the Tea Party did not even form until After he was elected, in response to Bail outs and Stimulus? Your Premise is flawed and you are an asshole, If the Tea Party was simply a response to a "black man in the WH" it would have got started before he as elected. Instead it's "impetus" was Massive bail outs, Stimulus and 2100 Page Bills we did not want, and congress didn't even read.

I am so sick of smug childish Liberals (Like Shaman who can not even post with out cute over sizes letters and colors) Telling me I am Racist because I agree with the Tea Party.

So, Please do go fuck yourself.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back