Democrats force Phoenix to hire minority lifeguards that can't swim

Yes, the law requires that life guards MUST be certified. You cannot get hired without certification, and the article said the potential life-guards must pass the test. The test cannot be "dumbed down" because it's a national level test, and the standards are set.

I think it's important to add that lifeguarding at a swimming pool is not like lifeguarding at the beach. You don't even need to be a strong swimmer at a swimming pool because lifeguards don't go into the water. If someone is having difficulties, you end a pole to them and pull them in. It's only in ocean/beach situations that someone needs to be a fast strong swimmer - to get to the victim quickly.

Lifeguarding at a swimming pool involves enforcing the rules - no running on the deck, no jumping on other swimmers, no swimming too close to the diving boards, and keeping kids in the right part of the pool. It's just a giant discipline and babysitting job, and yes, having lifeguards of the same ethnic persuasion would be a help in getting the kids to listen.

Not once ever in four years of working at the pool, did I every witness anyone who needed to be "rescued" in the classic "swim out and pull him to shore" way. I did, on more than one occasion, get the pole and pull some kid out of the deep end who shouldn't have been there in the first place. And in most cases, the kid didn't want to come out but it was obvious that he couldn't swim well enough for the deep end.

Yes, the law requires that life guards MUST be certified. You cannot get hired without certification, and the article said the potential life-guards must pass the test. The test cannot be "dumbed down" because it's a national level test, and the standards are set.

HAHAHA. Test cannot be dumbed down? HAHA. How many times have we heard that?

Not once ever in four years of working at the pool, did I every witness anyone who needed to be "rescued" in the classic "swim out and pull him to shore" way. I did, on more than one occasion, get the pole and pull some kid out of the deep end who shouldn't have been there in the first place. And in most cases, the kid didn't want to come out but it was obvious that he couldn't swim well enough for the deep end.

That's a brazen lie. I've seen people hit their head on the diving board and when they go in the water, they just lay there. Don't tell us lifeguards don't have to swim!!!!

That's a brazen lie. I've seen people hit their head on the diving board and when they go in the water, they just lay there. Don't tell us lifeguards don't have to swim!!!!

And how often does that happen? Even in competitive diving where divers are doing inward dives, hitting your head doesn't happen all that often. I've never seen anyone lose consciousness and just lay in the pool. I did see a girl hit her head on the board, swim to the side of the pool, get out and collapse on the deck.

And I didn't say lifeguards don't have to swim, I said there isn't the need for pool guards to be able to swim as fast or as far as a beach guard. Even when people hit their heads on the boards, they're generally pulled out with a float or a pole. I've never seen a swimming pool guard get in the water to "save" someone although I do know of one instances where it's happened.

Every time someone posts on this board and someone disagrees with the post, why is the first thing someone posts is "YOUR LYING". How about, "Your mistaken", or "I think you're wrong". Why is there is assumption that someone is lying? Usually when people accuse someone of lying, it's because they lie all of the time and they therefore assume other people are lying too.

Forum List

Back