Dealing With A Disobedient Dog

Noomi

Ninja Kicker
Jul 6, 2012
Australia
Well, lately he has been. He's a three year old Border Collie, and in the past two days, he's pissed on the couch. Just cocked his leg and pissed on it.

Last night he did it, and he knew he had done wrong. This morning while my mum was in the bathroom, he did it again.

We know that BC's require lots of exercise, but there are always times when you don't have time to take the dog for a walk every night. He goes around four times a week, for a good, long run. The other days he gets to play ball we tire him out.
When he goes for a walk, no matter how far you take him, he comes home and wants to continue playing. He's very demanding.

Plus, he barks to get attention, and if you tell him to stop, he humps your leg. Literally flings himself at you and batters away at your leg, and will continue to do it until you have shaken him off enough times.

He's been trained, as have all our dogs, he just seems to be going through his stage where he is disobedient.

For those who own dogs, is just a stage, like a toddler stage for dogs? He's a good dog most of the time, we love him to death, he wants for nothing, but it seems he is just ungrateful for the love we give him.

Its driving us nuts! Can any dog lovers here give us some tips on how to deal with this?

Well, lately he has been. He's a three year old Border Collie, and in the past two days, he's pissed on the couch. Just cocked his leg and pissed on it.

Last night he did it, and he knew he had done wrong. This morning while my mum was in the bathroom, he did it again.

We know that BC's require lots of exercise, but there are always times when you don't have time to take the dog for a walk every night. He goes around four times a week, for a good, long run. The other days he gets to play ball we tire him out.
When he goes for a walk, no matter how far you take him, he comes home and wants to continue playing. He's very demanding.

Plus, he barks to get attention, and if you tell him to stop, he humps your leg. Literally flings himself at you and batters away at your leg, and will continue to do it until you have shaken him off enough times.

He's been trained, as have all our dogs, he just seems to be going through his stage where he is disobedient.

For those who own dogs, is just a stage, like a toddler stage for dogs? He's a good dog most of the time, we love him to death, he wants for nothing, but it seems he is just ungrateful for the love we give him.

Its driving us nuts! Can any dog lovers here give us some tips on how to deal with this?

I use this, and NO! allot. Works quick, and the look on their face after you blast them is golden.

super_soaker_50_1.jpg

It's not about love.

It's about discipline.

We have an Aussie Shepherd. They're like BCs but not as high strung.

We were told, its "exercise, discipline, affection" in that order.

Follow that with your pup.

Border Collies are hard to handle dogs. For one thing they are the most intelligent of all dog breeds. Because they are so intelligent, they are disobedient and destructive. Border collies do not make the best pets. A nice long walk doesn't satisfy them. Border collies are workaholics who must have a job to do that will occupy their minds as well as exercise their bodies. Long walks do not do it for a border collie. You are lucky that he's telling you his bored by pissing on the couch rather than taking it apart to see what it's made of.

I'm afraid that an occasional long walk and rousing game of fetch isn't going to help your dog. If you get interested in something like agility training where he has something to think about as well as something to do he will be a much better dog. It sounds like your dog is highly intelligent, even for the breed (which is phenomenal), and he will take well to an intensive, thought provoking, outlet.

He is very smart, Katz. He watches TV - he sat down and watched the whole 90 of 'Red Dog' the other weekend,. He watches cartoons as well. He goes for rides in our van and knows how to work the electric windows - so he winds it down and gets the breeze.

We are trying to do more with him, its not easy, though, given the fact that all four of us work.

Thanks for the advice, though - I will check out this agility training you mention, see if we can't try that out. :)

Have you tried putting it in an "airtight" box on the roof of your car?

Border Collies are hard to handle dogs. For one thing they are the most intelligent of all dog breeds. Because they are so intelligent, they are disobedient and destructive. Border collies do not make the best pets. A nice long walk doesn't satisfy them. Border collies are workaholics who must have a job to do that will occupy their minds as well as exercise their bodies. Long walks do not do it for a border collie. You are lucky that he's telling you his bored by pissing on the couch rather than taking it apart to see what it's made of.

I'm afraid that an occasional long walk and rousing game of fetch isn't going to help your dog. If you get interested in something like agility training where he has something to think about as well as something to do he will be a much better dog. It sounds like your dog is highly intelligent, even for the breed (which is phenomenal), and he will take well to an intensive, thought provoking, outlet.

I agree. I've had two in my life.

They are so smart they scare you. They are not couch potatoes.

Agility, Obedience, Herding, Fly Ball and if your a long distance jogger. These activities would go a long way toward making your BC livable.

I agree that they don't make good pets. They are way to smart and need an outlet for that energy.

I did herding and obedience with my two and they were great. One, Jake, lived to age 14. Red the other lived to be 16 yrs old.

Great dogs but not for someone looking for a couch potatoe.

There is a small sheep ranch in Malibu where the rich herding dogs from Beverly Hills go for fun. It costs a fortune.

I went to an organization's picnic a couple of years ago. Two people, who did not know each other, brought border collies who never saw each other before. The dogs decided. between themselves, to guard the playground. They rounded up kids who wandered out and herded them back to the playground. They also KNEW when a kid had to go to the bathroom and went along as guard dog to the park rest room with the child.

I have a poodle, which is the second most intelligent dog. She is scary smart. She watches television, has her favorite shows, and communicates primarily by vocalizing rather than barking. I have learned how to recognize what some of her vocalizations means. She has a dog sitter whom she has trained to also recognize what her vocalizations mean so he is able to give her a cookie, water and a walk when she asks.

There are puzzle toys for highly intelligent dogs. It might be worth it to look into something like that also.

Gotta suggest that you try CONSISTENCY and ROUTINE. Even if it requires some sacrifices, it's better to be walking and playing on a regular schedule than cleaning a couch..

Walking him SOMETIMES in the evening is bad. Because the dog is looking for ritual and routine. Let him EXPECT that walk every night even if you have to farm it out. Same with potty breaks, meals and play times.

If you reward him with a trip to the park -- don't do it for a couple days and then quit. My dogs KNOW it's the weekend. And if going for a ride is part of the weekend -- they will EXPECT it.

That behaviour could be a sure sign of dissappointment or anxiety because the schedule is just too loose.

Yep - every weekend he goes in the van with dad who takes him for his walk. He gets antsy because he hasn't worked out yet when the weekend is. That is his major treat and he loves it.

Yep - every weekend he goes in the van with dad who takes him for his walk. He gets antsy because he hasn't worked out yet when the weekend is. That is his major treat and he loves it.

They THRIVE on regular routine and get pesky and act out when there is none or the routine is interrupted. Especially the younger ones.

For males, the height of their existence is to pee multiple times on a walk to distribute their "message" as far as possible. So if the dog KNOWS that a walk is coming up -- they will save up their bladder for the experience. You dissapoint that dog and disaster is almost certain..

They THRIVE on regular routine and get pesky and act out when there is none or the routine is interrupted. Especially the younger ones.

For males, the height of their existence is to pee multiple times on a walk to distribute their "message" as far as possible. So if the dog KNOWS that a walk is coming up -- they will save up their bladder for the experience. You dissapoint that dog and disaster is almost certain..

Cooper will leave his mark on just about every tree and bush he comes across on his walks. He really stores up that pee!

The first thing to understand is how a dog's senses are different than humans. And how they are prioritized in each. Both humans and dogs have the same three senses: sight, hearing and smelling, however while most humans communicate by hearing, seeing, and then smelling, dogs primarily communicate by smelling, seeing and lastly hearing.

A dog interprets the world predominantly by smell, whereas a human interprets it by sight. A dog’s sense of smell is about 1,000 to 10,000,000 times more sensitive than a human’s (depending on the breed).

If there is a female in heat as far as 3 miles away, your dog might be reacting to that scent.

In Mexico; grown-ups control dogs and children...in America: dogs and children control grow-ups...
Cesar Millan

Last edited:

Forum List

Back