Crybaby Schumer Calls for Hearings on UnAmerican Court Ruling...

like hell it isn't. i can guarantee you no one is touching chuck schumer's seat.

Yeah I heard Democrats saying the same thing about "Kennedys Seat" .... :lol::lol::lol:

Kennedy wasn't in it at the time. Or you wouldn't have, genius.

Don't be vapid, you know exactly what I meant. I noticed you're still right on track with your standard arrogant put downs every time you get your partisan button pressed though, congratulations on your consistency. :D

Well the billionare comment not withstanding, too bad though I would dispatch one of my numeous lackys to type better than I can if that were the case. lol However, I have made it pretty clear this decision while I respect the court, will have a serious negative impact on the election process and further while some seem to think that corporations and unions are entitled to the same rights as people under the constitution, they tend to forget that those corporations and unions exist only because the congress and laws the people vote for allow them to come into being in the first place. Perhaps there is a little confusion on the difference between "corporate speech" and "free speech" or is it just that pesky ol commerce clause we all like to argue on here is not rendered mute as well.

There is no confusion, if congress can pass a law that limits the speech of corporations, unions, etc.., then they can pass a law that limits the speech on any specific category(ies) of group(s). The first amendment does not permit this and it is not the job of the supreme court to make a determination whether this decision will have a "serious negative impact on the election process" it's job is to determine whether the law is constitutional or not (in this case it found that it is not), doing anything else would make the constitution meaningless and invalidate our entire system of the rule of law.

If the ruling is indeed detrimental to the functioning of the Republic then it's the job of Congress to re-write the law(s) so that it falls within the boundaries of the Constitution or to initiate a constitutional amendment proceeding as specified in Article V.

Opinion of Stevens, J.

SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES
CITIZENS UNITED, APPELLANT v. FEDERAL
ELECTION COMMISSION

The Court’s ruling threatens to undermine the integrity of elected institutions across the Nation. The path it has taken to reach its outcome will, I fear, do damage to this institution. Before turning to the question whether to overrule Austin and part of McConnell , it is important to explain why the Court should not be deciding that question.
CITIZENS UNITED v. FEDERAL ELECTION COMM’N

While you may not think it was a matter for the court to take under consideration it is obvious that some of the members took it up to the point where it was in their opinion. While I agree with you on the structure in which the opinion was rendered, and how it is to be corrected, I could not disagree more on the contention that some are confusing the nature of Free Speech with that of corporate speech the courts opinion on the matter notwithsatnding. Which by the way, I am well aware of, and have stated as such.

Last edited:
Don't be vapid, you know exactly what I meant. I noticed you're still right on track with your standard arrogant put downs every time you get your partisan button pressed though, congratulations on your consistency. :D

well, maybe people who use :lol: after their points shouldn't whine about how they're addressed.

and I did know what you meant (without your stupid :lol:). and had you not used that :lol: you probably would have been answered differently.

MY point was that if Kennedy had been alive, he wouldn't have even been running for office right now. He'd have been in til the end of his term. And he'd have been re-elected after that if he wanted to be.

As for Chuck, he's not going anywhere. It just makes me happy that my senator pisses off the extreme right so much (even when I don't agree with him about everything).

Last edited:
Well the billionare comment not withstanding, too bad though I would dispatch one of my numeous lackys to type better than I can if that were the case. lol However, I have made it pretty clear this decision while I respect the court, will have a serious negative impact on the election process and further while some seem to think that corporations and unions are entitled to the same rights as people under the constitution, they tend to forget that those corporations and unions exist only because the congress and laws the people vote for allow them to come into being in the first place. Perhaps there is a little confusion on the difference between "corporate speech" and "free speech" or is it just that pesky ol commerce clause we all like to argue on here is not rendered mute as well.

There is no confusion, if congress can pass a law that limits the speech of corporations, unions, etc.., then they can pass a law that limits the speech on any specific category(ies) of group(s). The first amendment does not permit this and it is not the job of the supreme court to make a determination whether this decision will have a "serious negative impact on the election process" it's job is to determine whether the law is constitutional or not (in this case it found that it is not), doing anything else would make the constitution meaningless and invalidate our entire system of the rule of law.

If the ruling is indeed detrimental to the functioning of the Republic then it's the job of Congress to re-write the law(s) so that it falls within the boundaries of the Constitution or to initiate a constitutional amendment proceeding as specified in Article V.

Opinion of Stevens, J.

ELECTION COMMISSION

The Court’s ruling threatens to undermine the integrity of elected institutions across the Nation. The path it has taken to reach its outcome will, I fear, do damage to this institution. Before turning to the question whether to overrule Austin and part of McConnell , it is important to explain why the Court should not be deciding that question.

While you may not think it was a matter for the court to take under consideration it is obvious that some of the members took it up to the point where it was in their opinion.
I did notice that, I also noticed that it was contained in the minority opinion written by the more activist members of the court.

While I agree with you on the structure in which the opinion was rendered, and how it is to be corrected, I could not disagree more on the contention that some are confusing the nature of Free Speech with that of corporate speech the courts opnion on the matter notwithsatnding. Which by the way, I am well aware of, and have stated as such.
Explain how "corporate speech" is any different from speech emanating from any other group or organization, I'd also like to hear how NBC or FOX can have virtually unlimited speech with respect to stumping for any candidate or political point of view if they choose (by virtue of being media outlets) while Coca Cola Corp. or the ACLU cannot given that it they don't happen to own media outlets.

well, maybe people who use :lol: after their points shouldn't whine about how they're addressed.

I wasn't whining frankly I could care less what you say to me, I was just having a laugh at your expense.

I wasn't whining frankly I could care less what you say to me, I was just having a laugh at your expense.

then you shouldn't whine that i made you look stupid.

:thup:

have a good day.

Opinion of Stevens, J.

ELECTION COMMISSION

While you may not think it was a matter for the court to take under consideration it is obvious that some of the members took it up to the point where it was in their opinion.
I did notice that, I also noticed that it was contained in the minority opinion written by the more activist members of the court.

While I agree with you on the structure in which the opinion was rendered, and how it is to be corrected, I could not disagree more on the contention that some are confusing the nature of Free Speech with that of corporate speech the courts opnion on the matter notwithsatnding. Which by the way, I am well aware of, and have stated as such.
Explain how "corporate speech" is any different from speech emanating from any other group or organization, I'd also like to hear how NBC or FOX can have virtually unlimited speech with respect to stumping for any candidate or political point of view if they choose (by virtue of being media outlets) while Coca Cola Corp. or the ACLU cannot given that it they don't happen to own media outlets.

Corporate Speech is subject to regulation,infringement, and modification whereas Free Speech may be subject to some of that , it is highly limited as to to how much of that Free Speech can be regulated. NBC, CBS, ABC, whatever media outlet you wish, are in theory subject not only to FCC Rules they are also subject to FEC rules when it comes to what they can and cannot not do in the political process. and can in theory be heavily regulated. What rules would Coca-Cola, Toyota and others be subject too should they happen to support candidate A or candidate B ? unlike a media outlet? They have every right such as with the case of G.E. to purchase a media company. On a side note I did happen to notice the case that the decision was based on from 1975 and noticed from that opinion that the court focused on "freedom of the press" and seemed to use that as an entity under the Free Speech clause in order to support that.

Opinion of Stevens, J.

ELECTION COMMISSION

Corporate Speech is subject to regulation,infringement, and modification whereas Free Speech may be subject to some of that , it is highly limited as to to how much of that Free Speech can be regulated. NBC, CBS, ABC, whatever media outlet you wish, are in theory subject not only to FCC Rules they are also subject to FEC rules when it comes to what they can and cannot not do in the political process.
What you're pointing out here is not limited to corporations, for example if you as a private citizen get on the "air waves" you are subject to the same regulation as corporations (or any other sort of group or individual for that matter). However given that the first amendment does not give congress the authority to deny certain categories of groups certain types of speech your point is immaterial to the question because clearly media corporations can and do express political viewpoints and stump for candidates "on the air" therefor any other regulation they are subject to is beside the point since it is applied consistently to all parties that fall under the same circumstances outlined in those regulations (i.e. one group does not receive favorable/unfavorable treatment under the same set of circumstances) - although I'm sure we could probably find quite a few FCC regulations that we could challenge on constitutional grounds.

What rules would Coca-Cola, Toyota and others be subject too should they happen to support candidate A or candidate B ? unlike a media outlet? They have every right such as with the case of G.E. to purchase a media company.
Unfortunately this doesn't make sense, you assert they have the right to purchase a media outlet, yet don't acknowledge their right to HIRE a media outlet to express their point of view? Why must purchasing a media outlet be a prerequisite to enjoying the breadth of expression that existing media outlets already enjoy?

On a side note I did happen to notice the case that the decision was based on from 1975 and noticed from that opinion that the court focused on "freedom of the press" and seemed to use that as an entity under the Free Speech clause in order to support that.
Not sure where you are going with this, sorry.

Schumer represents everything wrong with our Government. Why do people keep voting for that tool? He's been in Congress far too long. It's time for him to go.

His Seat is no longer Safe... ;)

:)

peace...

Yes it is.

Schumer has no credible opponents. He'll win, and he'll keep winning. The people of NY like Chucky.

and I did know what you meant (without your stupid :lol:). and had you not used that :lol: you probably would have been answered differently.

MY point was that if Kennedy had been alive, he wouldn't have even been running for office right now. He'd have been in til the end of his term. And he'd have been re-elected after that if he wanted to be.

As for Chuck, he's not going anywhere. It just makes me happy that my senator pisses off the extreme right so much (even when I don't agree with him about everything).

:lol: [couldn't resist ;) ]

about 300, not counting civic/religious/charitable ones in america. the corporation as a legal entity of course predates the founding of our country by hundreds of years.

then you know they had no intent those corporations be considered "persons".

truly one of the most obscene decisions I've ever seen.

Schumer represents everything wrong with our Government. Why do people keep voting for that tool? He's been in Congress far too long. It's time for him to go.

peace...

Yes it is.

Schumer has no credible opponents. He'll win, and he'll keep winning. The people of NY like Chucky.

chuck rocks. the frothing at the mouth he inspires is just a bonus. joe scarborough actually said reid should resign as senate majority leader and they should start a draft chuck movement.

their heads would explode.

so each election is going to be one group of corporations against another group of corporations.

so each election is going to be one group of corporations against another group of corporations.

What do you mean "going to be"? We've had ...

The Republican Corporation and all their corporate sponsors vs. The Democratic Corporation and all their corporate sponsors.

For a while now.

peace...

Yes it is.

chuck rocks. the frothing at the mouth he inspires is just a bonus. joe scarborough actually said reid should resign as senate majority leader and they should start a draft chuck movement.

their heads would explode.

He's probably next in line anyway. He's always been a strong voice. Maybe if Reid loses Chuck'll be the next majority leader.

The Republican Corporation and all their corporate sponsors vs. The Democratic Corporation and all their corporate sponsors.

For a while now.

At least for the last hundred years.

For a while now.

now it will be that way even moreso.

Forum List

Back