Columbus OH city council breaks state law and ignores judge

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise

Long story short
Ohio law preempts county and local laws regarding firearms - cities, etc, cannot create laws more restrictive than those of the atate.
Columbus city council - controlled by Democrats - did just that.
A judge put the legislation on hold - -and the city council passed it anyway.

So here we have a band of Democrats willfully breaking laws and ignoring rulings from the court.
What penalty should they suffer, and why do they believe the law and court rulings do not apply to them?

Long story short
Ohio law preempts county and local laws regarding firearms - cities, etc, cannot create laws more restrictive than those of the atate.

So here we have a band of Democrats willfully breaking laws and ignoring rulings from the court.
What penalty should they suffer, and why do they believe the law and court rulings do not apply to them?

The State government should rescind Columbus' home rule provisions, according to whatever process is outlined via the State's Constitution and laws.

Power in State governments flows DOWN from the elected State government to the home rule governments such as county governments, town governments, and city/village/township governments.

Reads to me for the most part a law that doesn't do much anything but the politicians can crow "look at what we did".

Long story short

Preemption occurs when law at a higher level of government is used to overrule authority at a lower level. State law can be used to preempt local ordinances, and federal law can be used to preempt state or local law. This page focuses on preemption of local ordinances by state law.

Preemption conflicts can emerge between state and local governments due to differences in the partisan makeup of the respective governments. Sometimes Democratic-led cities are preempted by Republican state governments, such as when the state legislature in Missouri preempted efforts to increase the minimum wage in St. Louis. Democratic state governments have also come into conflict with Republican-led localities, such as when several Virginia municipal governments passed firearms resolutions that were preempted by state law.

Common recent targets of state preemption include ordinances related to the minimum wage and paid sick leave, firearms policy, plastic bags, and marijuana decriminalization.

The Ohio Supreme Court upheld a 2006 state law that invalidated stricter local firearms ordinances, like those passed in the city of Cleveland.

Firearms preemption conflicts overview

This happens a lot.

Texas passed an oil and gas preemption bill in response to a Denton ballot measure that would have banned fracking in the city.

Long story short

oh but they care about the constitution. LOLOLOLOL

And so, it OK for Democrats to willfully break laws and ignore rulings from the court.
Right?

Two things here. I believe people should be able to own automatic weapons that will fire far more than 30 rounds.

Second, I'm not always against the people telling the courts to shove it.

Two things here. I believe people should be able to own automatic weapons that will fire far more than 30 rounds.
Second, I'm not always against the people telling the courts to shove it.
And so, it OK for Democrats to willfully break laws and ignore rulings from the court.
Right?

There is nothing to explain. I already said that there are times I'm good with the people telling the court to shove it.

Trump enacted a bump stock ban. The Supreme Court upheld it. Do you suppose those who own one have all went out and destroyed them?

There is nothing to explain. I already said that there are times I'm good with the people telling the court to shove it.

Trump enacted a bump stock ban. The Supreme Court upheld it. Do you suppose those who own one have all went out and destroyed them?
was the ban on use or buying them. There are details you didn't provide.

And a city council is elected officials not joe schmoe. Explain

Forum List

Back